Receiver Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
damn that is some wicked equipment , i remember having several sansui receivers and those sumbitches had so much power you would get shocked if you were holding the ends of the speaker wires while the volume was tuned up , don't ask me why i was doing that :lol: .

those altec speakers are just magnificent :w00t: :w00t: :drool: :drool: , altec speakers and raw drivers are very highly sought after by collectors and audiophiles alike and for good reason ,they are just insane quality .

hell these receiver wars make the boombox wars look like kidnergarden wars :lol: just fantastic stuff .

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Superduper said:
-GZ- said:
Pretty sure the kenwood kr 9600 is 160 wpc into 8 ohms but 200 wpc into 4 ohms
Probably. But to be consistent, and for a relative comparison, all specs quoted are into 8-ohms.
Right on.
Heres mine. No handles...and the edges were shaved to fit in a rack....but shes 100%

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
I love these topics fond memories indeed.

Sansui was the bomb back then I remember at a electronic store back in the 80's I was messing with a Sansui receiver don't remember what was the model, but when I turned it up the speakers were hitting my chest with such forced!

I'm a fan of Pioneer I love the 1250 & the 1280.

I would love to drive them to my Klipsch KLF 20 tower speakers, but no Pioneer for now so I drive them with the Crown CT 600 amp which sounds great got the Crown on ebay for $150 last year.

petergriffin

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
It's funny, I started collecting boomboxes like 6-7 years ago, and now I've progressed to vintage receivers/speakers. Guess that's a natural progression? I have a sansui g5500. Technics Sa-500/Sa-700. Listening to the Sa-700 now, with polk audio Monitor 10b. Sounds amazing in my little listening room. I find technics receivers are under-rated and can still be found cheap. Try finding a good pioneer SX-1250 or marantz 2275 for less then 500 is impossible nowadays :sad:

Macdude443

Member (SA)
May 21, 2009
Johnstown, PA
Some very nice units here. I can't decide whether I prefer the Sansui sound or the Pioneer sound. I've settled on one of each. I bought the 9090 and the SX-1010. I think I'll hang on to both for eternal A/B comparisons :w00t: . A friend of mine was kind enough to refinish the cabinet on my 1010 to a nice dark cherry finish. I'll have to get up some photos.

A few months ago I wanted to get more into separates so I bought a Hafler DH-101 pre-amp and an Adcom GF-545 power amp. I have that running with a Nakamichi 480, an Akai GX-620 and a Technics Sl-110. One of the radio stations I work for was junking a pair of JBL 4410 monitors that only needed a refoam and a cleaning. I like to call this the articulate system, lol. When I want to listen to come classic rock, I use the Pioneer 1010 with it's matching HPM-100s and PL-560 direct drive turntable. Recently found a second CT-F1000 cassette deck and an SG-9800 EQ to match. I love talking model numbers, :cool: . Lately I haven't looked into getting any more equipment, as all my money now goes into a 1982 AMC Eagle.

Here is me a while back with the 9090db. I eventually traded it for a mint 9090.

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
I found this place in Maryland when I was looking to have a 12 volt ligtherr socket power cord fabricated. I was surprised when I went to radioshack in Cumberland and they recommended this place for the parts. I was impressed with the amount of junk and 9 cats they had in there.
Pretty cool tho'. They also said they use to sell a large line of boomboxes in the 1980's

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
zorlac said:
one more pic from this place. It is located in Lavale Maryland, 3 miles from Cumberland on the national fwy-(40)
[ Image ]
dude that place is just over 2 hours from me ,been to lavale many times as i have several friends who live in cumberland up in ellerslie ,mt savage area im going to have to check it out next time i'm up there :thumbsup: .

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
MasterBlaster84 said:
Awesome Zorlac but it looks more like someones garage than a store. :hmmm:
What are the prices like?

They would probably kick me out anyway for drooling on the merchandise. :lol:
Iit's a real electronics place that has seen better times i'm sure. Their primary business now is cb radio repair. When I was in that day there were truckers picking up their radio repairs. So the stereo busineess has just evolved into repairs only. What you see in their show room in these pics are dead projects and unclaimed repairs that have accumulated over 30 years.

It is close to Frostburg and Mt Savage, Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.