Problems With My eBay-Purchased Aiwa CS-600U

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
It's a mid sized one piece tone box - the easiest type of box on this earth to work on. Enough of the endless posts, just crack that POS open and have a go! :lol:
I certainly erupted in (nervous) laughter, JimmyJimmy! There you go again, flustering me on BoomBoxery.com! And -- HUGE WINK -- by "POS" you do mean "Pretty Ol' Stereo" ... right?

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Uh, folks: I remain wary of the typically rear-panel warning found on thousands of electrical and electronic devices. You know, something along the lines of: "TO PREVENT ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT OPEN REAR PANEL. NO USER-SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE," et cetera, et cetera. If I get a buzz, it had better be from a sense of completion, that I took valuable property in my currently inexperienced hands and cared for it, not because I got the BUZZ of my life that just might end ...

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Hello, PostEnder, I came to this forum just over a year ago with my first BB (Sharp GF-9000) and I didn't have a clue other than how to use it. That was it, my total experience. I'd never opened a BB before never mind even seen inside one and I had no previous interest in anything to do with radios or any other audio equipment. I still consider myself very much a total novice so opening my first BB was a BIG step for me.

You already know more than I did when I first came here but I wasn't afraid to ask for help and advice which I took on board and acted upon. Yes I was nervous and unsure, I lacked confidence and had little more than a couple of screwdrivers but I plucked up the courage because I had faith in the wealth of experience of the members here that helped me with my first steps. The good folk on this forum have the combined experience of many, many decades and have offered you all the advice you need to take your own first steps so the next step is up to you.

One thing I can readily guarantee: If I can do it - so can you.

Trust the board members, they're on your side.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress, please.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Thanks for the encouragement, MyOhMy, and for sharing part of your boombox-handling, boombox-repairing experience. As a matter for fact, I logged on minutes ago to ask for further assistance from the BoomBoxery community. I was going to say that I'm using an older Dell laptop to access this website for what I think is the first time. But I've just recalled that I joined BoomBoxery.com -- jumping through arithmetic security hoops and all -- with this laptop years ago. The difference is that back then, the Dell was wire-linked to fast broadband in a downstairs room, whereas right now I'm using Wi-Fi, which just might be notorious for often-spotty reception, signal strength, quality, etc.

Anyway, I've logged back on to say that I've just taken out what I think are the seven screws -- six external and one inside the battery bay -- that hold the front and rear cabinets (panels) together. The Aiwa isn't coming apart easily, though. Is there something else that I should be doing?

Uh, I'm trying to, friend, as my circa-7:54 PM message should show. (Grin and shrug)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hisrudeness said:
I thought this might happen.
I saw this coming from 2000 miles away, waay in the beginning. My 2nd and last presence here (I think my last post about said it all; nothing since has changed, in fact, everything I've seen since just reinforces what I originally gut feeling.).

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
It's a mid sized one piece tone box - the easiest type of box on this earth to work on. Enough of the endless posts, just crack that POS open and have a go! :lol:
If anyone thinks that a zebra can change their stripes, think again...

PostEnder said:
Sure hope that someone out there will be prompt with a helping hand, so to speak, if I run into problems ...
Yes sir! Anything else master?

PostEnder said:
Here we go again, Rudey. First that other website and now this website ...
Ever think that maybe the issue might be YOU and not everyone else?

PostEnder said:
To Confess (Again): I shamefully failed to pay the well-regarded electronics-repair shop for the hours the experts spent working on two other portables of mine: a JVC RC-M50JW and a Helix HX-4633N. My excuse was my persistently suspecting that strange -- indeed, supernatural -- glitches would befall those other stereos' tape decks even after they were repaired. My shirking my customer obligations was likely part of what moved the repair-shop personnel to disavow any more repairing of boomboxes.

So ...: I either get the Aiwa repaired somehow or I live with the snafu or I give the machine away.
Again, I suggest you look inward rather than outward for your "troubles." I can see it now, endless badgering and suggestions to the shop that the item, even as it is tested right before your very eyes that it is repaired did not satisfy you that it was "truly" fixed until the owner finally relented, hands clasped around his face, in frustration until he tells you.... "go... just take the blasted thing... get out of here...." At that point, you, smirking, inwardly thinking "Yes! Victory" sheepishly gathered up your boomboxes and left the place having shafted the shop not once, but twice. And you wonder why they refused to look at your third boombox. Me thinks it's not boomboxes that they are afraid of, but rather what is attached to the handle when the boomboxes was brought in for service. But to comment on your comment above.... Yes, live with the snafu; Yes, give the machine away, No, do not look inside it as I don't think we can handle the rest of the process of rebelting this simple machine, and No, don't look inside of it since I don't think anyone here will want the liability of encouraging you to get your azz fried by probing something you shouldn't be, even though frankly, I "think" that the real M.O. here is that you simply want to keep playing this charade until you find a knight (dodo) in shining armor to come and save your boombox (for free, of course). Now, I might be way off base here, and 180 degree wrong, but I believe in my gut and it's served me well, and nothing I've seen here since the very first post has done anything but reinforce it.

Ok, this is all very harsh, but I'm the guy that says exactly what's on my mind but don't think I can't temper my responses because this is the tempered version. The other version is..... well, let's not go there.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
So as you would know, the front panel will come off taking the deck door/speakers etc with it. After you have removed the screws and knobs etc, you then need to open the deck door and the front panel should come free.
I have to pull those good-looking, good-feeling, chromed knobs off the facade (front) of the Aiwa? They can't stay on while I access the interior? I checked the controls -- especially, of course, the knobs -- minutes ago. None of them have a tiny screw or the like to fasten them to their respective posts (stems) for usage. Does one have to actually pull (slide) them off the steel stems? Oh, boy ...

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The knobs and slider tips are pressure fit - they will be a bit stiff but will slide off. The front cover cannot be removed with the knobs and tips fitted. There will be no screws on the side of the knobs to remove - these are HiFi devices. :-)

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Superduper said:
I saw this coming from 2000 miles away, waay in the beginning. My 2nd and last presence here (I think my last post about said it all; nothing since has changed, in fact, everything I've seen since just reinforces what I originally gut feeling.).

If anyone thinks that a zebra can change their stripes, think again...

Yes sir! Anything else master?

Ever think that maybe the issue might be YOU and not everyone else?

Again, I suggest you look inward rather than outward for your "troubles." I can see it now, endless badgering and suggestions to the shop that the item, even as it is tested right before your very eyes that it is repaired did not satisfy you that it was "truly" fixed until the owner finally relented, hands clasped around his face, in frustration until he tells you.... "go... just take the blasted thing... get out of here...." At that point, you, smirking, inwardly thinking "Yes! Victory" sheepishly gathered up your boomboxes and left the place having shafted the shop not once, but twice. And you wonder why they refused to look at your third boombox. Me thinks it's not boomboxes that they are afraid of, but rather what is attached to the handle when the boomboxes was brought in for service. But to comment on your comment above.... Yes, live with the snafu; Yes, give the machine away, No, do not look inside it as I don't think we can handle the rest of the process of rebelting this simple machine, and No, don't look inside of it since I don't think anyone here will want the liability of encouraging you to get your azz fried by probing something you shouldn't be, even though frankly, I "think" that the real M.O. here is that you simply want to keep playing this charade until you find a knight (dodo) in shining armor to come and save your boombox (for free, of course). Now, I might be way off base here, and 180 degree wrong, but I believe in my gut and it's served me well, and nothing I've seen here since the very first post has done anything but reinforce it.

Ok, this is all very harsh, but I'm the guy that says exactly what's on my mind but don't think I can't temper my responses because this is the tempered version. The other version is..... well, let's not go there.
Take it easy, Superduper. This is still my first attempt at opening and directly peering into a boombox -- as opposed to vicariously gazing at the images of those machines' electromechanical intricacies that far more confident people post on websites during the repair process.

I recall what a reader stated in a letter that he wrote to Stereo Review magazine back in the 1990s when he frowned upon the publication's apparent reduction of entertainment-focused articles and the increase of tech-heavier product reviews, testing protocols, etc.:

A fine, well-mastered (music) recording will still be appreciated and sought thirty years from now; few people get excited from staring at the intricacies of an integrated circuit board.

My hand-wringing should be understandable, because nobody wants to end up with a fine mess on one's hands for leaping without really, really looking first, i.e., asking enough questions of expert and experienced members of websites such as BoomBoxery.com.

Earlier, I posted this message: "Sure hope that someone out there will be prompt with a helping hand, so to speak, if I run into problems ..." It's obvious from you reaction, Superduper, that someone views my use of a word like "prompt" as being kind of demanding, halfway imperious. I apologize for any such offense that I caused.

And, while I have certainly had many pleasurable moments listening typically to audiocassette music on my apparently fixed-up JVC and Helix in the past several weeks, I take no pleasure in the idea that I have cheated hard-working experts out of their fair wages due to my apprehension.

On the one hand, there is no guarantee that paying more money brings better repair results. "Sometimes more is just more," as I remember a relative of mine saying with some concern about an unrelated matter. Someone could charge one five hundred dollars to do what someone else would do a better job of for less than half that amount of money. Still, I certainly don't expect free or two-pennies-on-the dollar repair offers or repair assistance.

But I'm gaining nothing by resenting anyone for chastising me on this website. The Aiwa still needs fixing -- which apparently involves yanking knobs off the front to open up the back. (Sigh)

Superduper

Member (SA)
PostEnder said:
But I'm gaining nothing by resenting anyone for chastising me on this website. The Aiwa still needs fixing -- which apparently involves yanking knobs off the front to open up the back. (Sigh)
Here's the problem, 31 posts, all on this thread and you've not yet even removed the knobs or unfastened a screw. To most of us, this is such a easy box to rebelt (comparatively speaking) that by the time you get to the flywheel backing plate screw, you will be 300 posts into this and this will be trying the patience of even the most patient of us. And admittedly, I am probably the least patient of the folks here so I am totally useless to you. The truth is that classic boomboxes almost all require fairly regular maintenance to perform at their best, whether it is rebelting or regular deoxidizing of controls. At this rate, by the time you get through rebelting your M9998 or TPR-990, you will likely have accumulated more posts than Ira the legend himself.

What I'd like to see on your next post is the boombox split and the deck mechanism hanging. Then we will finally have some progress.

Okelly

Member (SA)
Aug 23, 2015
PLEASE give the damn thing away, and do not buy another boombox unless it is perfect! Your attention to details that don't mean shait( what camera you used to take the picture and so on) has NOTHING TO DO WITH FIXING THIS BOX! I don't know you but I know your type, you will needle people until you get what you want for free because they just want to get rid of you! I'm sure this has happened to you many times....

Kel

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
Stop giving hard time to him, though, i offered my help but he hasn't even asked me. Without removing front knobs, there's no way you'll access inside.CS-660 is back-accessible box, but CS-600... It has so much space inside for working. Take off knobs and grab screwdriver and unscrew screws from marked holes, once youre there then are also few tricks to access inside. Send me a PM and i'll help you.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
PostEnder, I apologize if I seem a curtain twitcher, but what is your age?

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Thanks to all who have put up with me so far: members like crazygamer and jimmyjimmy. I've managed to remove most of the front control knobs and switch covers, but I've obviously got a long way to go. The tuning knob is proving to be as difficult as its size suggests. I hardly dare pull on it any harder, fearing that I will wreck the tuner section -- and, by extension, the whole stereo. But, in addition to the rear-panel screws -- which I removed many hours ago -- and in addition to the other, smaller front-panel switches, the tuning knob has to come off ... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.