PRE-Ebay intercept of local boomers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Stacked up before the trip to skippy's for some service. The new helix and my clairtone. Thanks Scott!0426130653.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I'm happy to own them!

The M70 is working good, but those pesky volume sliders :thumbsdown: , the left channel one is totally gone and I need to send it to superduper.

I didn't play much with the 838 but besides the broken lever on the power switch and cassette belts, it works really good. I got a battery door from a member here :cool:.

The Helix will be fixed up (hopefully) and the front is in a little better condition than my clairtone, so I will keep the Helix and sell the clairtone ;-) . Also robbed the lower cassette door off my clairtone :-D .

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Update! The lower cassette motor on the Helix is fried....... good thing I have a brand new spare motor here! :cool:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Another update.

The clairtone case and lower cassette had more issues than I wanted, and the Helix guts has some kind of "no sound" issue right now so I ripped them both apart!

I took the Helix case and lower cassette deck/board and combined it with the rest of the guts from the Clairtone to make one 100% fully working and complete boombox. Got finished with it last night.

Now, I need to put together the rest of the parts and get the other one together to sell. Seems like it needs 2 new amp chips. The sound was working from the Helix guts, but then just quit. I think the amps were on their last leg when I got it.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The best part is that it has 2 original antennas, every knob, everything works, and the tray and cassette door. I still need to clean it, I was in a hurry to just put all the parts together.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Ps thanks bill.

Skippy really talked me into tackling the project.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
JustCruisin said:
Whats your honest opinion compared to your M-90.??
This is a tough comparison..... 2 entirely different beasts. I will comment on the SOUND only. The looks are very different and everyone has different tastes.

The JVC M90 is a high quality sound that is balanced in some decent lows, great mids, and clear highs. Great box for Jazz, classical, country, and easy listening. I'm not saying that it can't pound out some hip hop or rap, but that is where the M90 comes up short in the volume/distortion compared to the C100. The M90 doesn't need the bass turned down too much for listening at just about any volume. The JVC is built MUCH better than the C100.

The C100 now is STUPID loud. Because of the bridged amp setup no one will ever crank there C100 past 40 (on the 100 scale) because it is loud. Clear highs, almost "make your ears bleed" kind of loud. The C100 can hammer out a bass note much better than a M90. It has a little more speaker wobble to get these lows. The loudness switch really helps for low volume listening because you get the booming bass and the really loud highs. If you are cranking tunes with your C100, you MUST turn the bass down to get the distortion down.

Again, I would still pick the M90 over the C100 for using because I wouldn't be afraid to crank the JVC where I know the C100 could overheat the amps or simply stop working because it is built so cheap. If I want loud and impressive, the C100. If you are trying to show how well a boombox can sound and how well it is built, then the M90.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Thanks for the review! I don't have an M90 to compare, that's why I asked.. ;-)
I love the way my Conions sound! it's hard to listen to any other box after that, because they don't even come close.. :blush:
Once you start turning the volume knob clockwise, it seems to take command of the empty spots of silence in the room.. :dj:

Status
Not open for further replies.