Poor Mans M75 -- How To

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
So some of you guys with Japanese M70's that is wishing you were able to listen to FM radio beyond 88 - 90 mhz.... Listen up.

Here is how it's done.
You will need........
(1) A USA or Euro tuner from a donor M70
(2) A USA or Euro top plate from a donor M70
(3) A USA or Euro tuner dial (the acrylic one behind the glass) from a donor M70
(4) A fine tuning knob (if fine tuning of SW is desired).
(5) Hobby / Hookup wires (optional)
(6) Single row header strip with .100 pin spacing (optional)
(7) Heat shrink tubing (optional)
(8) Soldering Iron and solder

Here is the connector for the USA/Euro tuner board. This board is the one that will be swapped into the project box. As you can see, there are 2-connectors.

Here is the Japanese tuner board. You can see how the board and connectors are different. Good thing is that the wire color scheme is same. Just different location and connector. Also, instead of 2-connectors, there is only 1-connector.

There is 2 ways you can rewire the assembly to fit. You can either clip the harness and direct solder the leads to the appropriate spot. I chose to intall an adapter pigtail harness so that the original japanese connector can just plug together. What I did was solder a new wiring loom to the appropriate locations on the replacement tuner matching up the colors as present on the japanese connector. With my newly installed pigtail, it basically becomes a drop in replacement tuner. The new pigtail will plug right into factory japanese harness without modification.

You must also replace the tuner dial which is not easy but it's a purely mechanical skill so I'll let you figure that out. Also the top plate will need to be swapped out since the new tuner has 6-bands as opposed to the 2 bands in the japanese tuner. Something else that needs to be mentioned is that the USA tuner has a fine tuning control -- japanese model does not. Good thing is that the cut out and molded in graphics are already there. JVC used the same case, only blank plates to patch up unused features. So if you want to use the fine tuning feature, you remove the glued in blank filler plate. But if you do, expect there to be glue residue.

There is also another project involved here. Rather than describe it all over again, you can view the tech description here:
http://63.193.118.1/WEB/M70_dial-lamp_upgrade.htm

So that's it -- the way to make a poor man's JVC RC-M75. This minty beauty belongs to BMoney, and the upgrade was performed at his request.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Damn it Norm. Did you do that for MONO?

I gave up on doing that to my Victor, but now I want it..... I have some of the parts already for the swap.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I really like it. That would give me the option to sell off the USA spec M70 I have and just keep the Victor with mods..... I guess I will put this on my list of stuff to do :-/ .

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
Its own thread?! :w00t: :thumbsup: Nice one, Norm!
I wouldn't be able to enjoy having something this awesome in my collection without you. :bow:

It is a stunning box. :yes: I catch myself slurping back drool when I look at it too! :drool: :lol:
Thanks for all the great comments, guys! :cool:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Now all you need is that Victor M70 cassette door decal that I have...... Fatdog should be coming out with a repro soon :yes: ;-) :lol:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
To borrow a line from blu_fuz:

B=======D

Oh, wait a minute... that should be

B===D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
Hey Norm what LED's did you use for the lighting? That's just gorgeous. :drool: :drool: Hard to do? They look great. :drool: :drool: Can they be used on any box? Might wanna do this to my Graffiti'd 777!! Any way to keep them on with the AC cord attached like the CONION when it's plugged in?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I already have these parts!!!!
(1) A USA or Euro tuner from a donor M70
(3) A USA or Euro tuner dial (the acrylic one behind the glass) from a donor M70

I have a USA M70 top plate lined up too :thumbsup: .

I'm going to have to look at your LED mod thread too :yes: :breakdance:.

EDIT: looks like I will just buy the LED mod kit from you! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.