opinions wanted on ortofon phono cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
the ortofon concord style arkiv that ford is using is elliptical, check the specs I posted a few replies back, the arkiv locally which is the same price as needledoctor.com runs about $144 and the nice thing is it includes an extra stylus, the ortofon blue haven't found locally but on needledoctor.com runs $199 Thanks on the deck I offered the guy $100 for it and he agreed

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
ahardb0dy said:
the ortofon concord style arkiv that ford is using is elliptical, check the specs I posted a few replies back, the arkiv locally which is the same price as needledoctor.com runs about $144 and the nice thing is it includes an extra stylus, the ortofon blue haven't found locally but on needledoctor.com runs $199 Thanks on the deck I offered the guy $100 for it and he agreed
I've heard Ford's system, sound is excellent. That Archiv sounds perfect for you then...

That's a fair price on that turntable. Buyer & seller happy = good deal.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
yeah when I asked him if he would take $100 for it he forgot I even had the TT still, he gave it to me one day to check out, I trust ford and your opinion since you both play records way more than I ever will. I probably broke that JVC stylus messing around scratching with it but I won't do that with the new one. Only thing wrong with this JVC TT is the dust cover has some bad scratches he said from moving a few times, tried to polish them out but they are too deep.

So with the concord style cartridge i know I have to mess with the weight and other settings on the turn table itself but the cartridge can only go in the arm one way right?

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
ahardb0dy said:
yeah when I asked him if he would take $100 for it he forgot I even had the TT still, he gave it to me one day to check out, I trust ford and your opinion since you both play records way more than I ever will. I probably broke that JVC stylus messing around scratching with it but I won't do that with the new one. Only thing wrong with this JVC TT is the dust cover has some bad scratches he said from moving a few times, tried to polish them out but they are too deep.

So with the concord style cartridge i know I have to mess with the weight and other settings on the turn table itself but the cartridge can only go in the arm one way right?
Yup.... good luck!

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Sorry to get in late on this. If you have not bought one yet, I would like to recommend the denon 160 cartridge. It is a high output moving coil and the sound on it is fantastic. I have used it on on my Denon 62 turntable ( for sale shameless plug,) and my 1200 technics. It is not as loud as my Ortofon OM20 since it is a moving coil but, it does do a better job then it! With a high output moving coil, you do not need a MC pre and it will work fine in a MM,.

I had a goldring 1042 in the 400$+ range and the denon beat it for home use. It is fine for a S or strait arm.

erniejade said:
Sorry to get in late on this. If you have not bought one yet, I would like to recommend the denon 160 cartridge. It is a high output moving coil and the sound on it is fantastic. I have used it on on my Denon 62 turntable ( for sale shameless plug,) and my 1200 technics. It is not as loud as my Ortofon OM20 since it is a moving coil but, it does do a better job then it! With a high output moving coil, you do not need a MC pre and it will work fine in a MM,.

I had a goldring 1042 in the 400$+ range and the denon beat it for home use. It is fine for a S or strait arm.

that deck looks like my SPACESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.