No “Real” Bumpboxx Classic coming

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
It is with great sadness that I have to tell the Boomboxery family that there will be no TRUE classic boombox coming from Bumpboxx and my future involvement, if any will be greatly diminished.

Due to a set of unfortunate circumstances that I will explain at a much later date, the plans to build a REAL classic boombox has been changed to a much more “cost effective” product.

This product will be pretty much what Bumpboxx already offers in a much smaller package. Particle board construction, off the shelf parts and no cassette deck.

This all came as a shock to me a short time ago. While in China on this last trip it was a done deal that I would be making reoccurring month long trips to China, starting in January. All aspects of that deal were sealed with a hand shake. But a week or so later, it was all pulled back. I will explain those details to you later.

I have no idea what my future involvement could possibly be since they will be making the same product as they do now, void of any real classic ques, like a cassette deck, real handle or tuning dial.

The only real question I have, that has not been answered by them is if they will be using any of my design elements or if I will be reimbursed for all of the technical details and information I provided them in terms of product dimensions, frequency response and other details that will probably find it's way into their new product..

It’s a real disappointment for sure. Like you I really thought that we had a chance to see a true classic be reborn. But it appears as of the writing of this that that will not be happening.

Up until just a week or so ago, I was still working on technical drawings and detailed manufacturing process documents. So much for a year’s worth of hard work.

As I said, I will try to explain at a later date what took place and why this snap decision was made. But as of right now, I have family flying into town that will be staying through the holidays and I will be occupied with them.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Sorry to hear the sad news Chris. Not entirely unexpected though due to the cost of making a unique, one off product for a small, up and coming electronics business.

You tried Chris and I’m sure we all appreciate all that you have done. :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Sorry to hear that man , only because I know how much effort you put into it , I wish we could source some parts and build the motherfucker ourselves. You went above and beyond and that's more than most could or would do especially travelling to China that's not exactly easy.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Man that’s so disappointing. I really thought they’d bought into the idea. All that time and effort Chris, such a waste. Sorry fella :-(

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Chris as everyone echoes we are sorry to hear this but we know, without question, that you put your all into this and you have the thanks of the whole boombox community.

You are a well respected member of the boombox community and that is a fact, you have been an awesome ambassador for us, thanks for all your effort and sorry it didn't go as planned.

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
I am quite sure that a new opportunity will arise for you Chris.
Now that things are getting in line even though you put so much effort
for making a classic boombox with a company that rejected it.,
I am optimistic that this effort wasnt a waste of time .
We dont have the means of production but some p-eople here
are supporting you all the way.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
Northerner said:
Man that’s so disappointing. I really thought they’d bought into the idea. All that time and effort Chris, such a waste. Sorry fella :-(
perhaps --its not really over ..
IF you are not paid correctly for ALL of your talents and efforts that you contributed -
then you are free to collect that entire ' package ' of work ..
and sell it all to another maker who is willing to make this HAPPEN

Superduper

Member (SA)
Here is what is available today. And that Sony does have a cassette deck. There’s definitely a hole that can be filled. You went there representing BOOMBOX enthusiasts & they didn’t take you seriously so they obviously feel the future is with Bluetooth speakers & not Boomboxes.34E8E9A9-411B-4305-AE05-D4F53FCA8670.jpeg

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
This is very disappointing news indeed. After all your exhaustive efforts in so many areas of involvement this must come as a terrible shock, I dread to think how you must feel hearing this news. Although this project hasn't been brought to fruition, it's certainly no reflection on you commitment so I still extend to you my sincere sentiments: "Thank you very much for all you have done, Sir".

Superduper said:
Here is what is available today. And that Sony does have a cassette deck. There’s definitely a hole that can be filled. You went there representing BOOMBOX enthusiasts & they didn’t take you seriously so they obviously feel the future is with Bluetooth speakers & not Boomboxes.
34E8E9A9-411B-4305-AE05-D4F53FCA8670.jpeg
Wow, that really brings home some truths about modern portable audio - such a sad state of affairs. :-/

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I can't say we can feel your pain, but man that hurts. Intrigued to hear the rest of the story.

Hurb

Member (SA)
May 8, 2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands
pinterest.com
Sorry to read this Chris! Not knowing details, I can only tell you that I have so much respect for what you've done and tried to accomplish. What ever happens after this an how F'd up this may look and feel now, you had an idea and went for it full throttle. You've felt the energy that came with this journey, had fresh ambition, traveled, experienced and learned, nothing wrong about that. It's what entrepreneurs do in the end!

Have a wonderfull Christmas with your family!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I really can't thank you all enough for your kind words. This is and always will be the best community on the web.

I have no real idea what is going to happen as they really don't talk to me. I am holding a micro thread of hope that I might still be reimbursed for my efforts, even though I know in the back of my mind it's utterly foolish.

I suppose, the part that hurts the most is that I really wanted the true classic enthusiast to have a new, reliable, usable boombox that was built to perform up to today's standards and reproduce modern music.

Last I heard, they were going to try to make something along the lines of the DJ Tech, possibly a plastic face on wood back. But it would still basically just be a bluetooth speaker. IMHO, that's not a "Boombox".

There are certain experiences that you go through, right wrong, good or bad, that once you have seen it, you can't un-see it. This experience has been filled with lots of behind the scene things I just wish I hadn't been a part of. There are certain veils that you shouldn't pull off.

At some point down the line, when this door is finally closed, I will share what I feel is appropriate. When it comes to boomboxes, collecting, my personal passion for it and the friends I have made, my Allegiance stays with the people I have been dealing with for years, in this community.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yes you do. It was so pure and FUN. Just the bro's hanging out enjoying blasters and beers.