New Member - 15 yr absence from the hobby

Jam_On_It

Welcome!

I know exactly how it is to have that one special radio. Usually your 1st radio is almost always the one that is meaningful because it has been with you through the good and bad. I have such a radio. It's my GE 3-5267A. It's not a worldwide grail, but it's my personal grail and I will keep it until I die.

I am.glad you got back into it.
Thanks T!
My *actual* first boombox was a Realistic SCR-9. $99 at RS in 1983. I kept if for a week before realizing it was little more than a cheap cassette player with two very small and very tinny speakers. I returned it and with that $99 I bought a GE 3-5252A at Gee Bee's department store in Greensburg, PA. I really fell in love with the GE. The sound quality was a lot better (but no match for say, a RX5010 costing the same). Also, the GE was built like a tank. Today, I own both the GE and the Realistic. That basic 3-5252A is a magical little machine that I dearly love. Side note - the low-end department stores my family frequented didn't sell Panasonic so they were never on my radar as a kid.

PS - I love your quote in red. Beautiful.

Reactions: Transistorized

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
Thanks T!
My *actual* first boombox was a Realistic SCR-9. $99 at RS in 1983. I kept if for a week before realizing it was little more than a cheap cassette player with two very small and very tinny speakers. I returned it and with that $99 I bought a GE 3-5252A at Gee Bee's department store in Greensburg, PA. I really fell in love with the GE. The sound quality was a lot better (but no match for say, a RX5010 costing the same). Also, the GE was built like a tank. Today, I own both the GE and the Realistic. That basic 3-5252A is a magical little machine that I dearly love. Side note - the low-end department stores my family frequented didn't sell Panasonic so they were never on my radar as a kid.

PS - I love your quote in red. Beautiful.
We had a gee bees department store . it was about 30 miles away in Fredrick county maryland. But I got a few lasonics's a crown sz 5100 and a d8443 from there over the years.

Jam_On_It

We had a gee bees department store . it was about 30 miles away in Fredrick county maryland. But I got a few lasonics's a crown sz 5100 and a d8443 from there over the years.
Our Gee Bee's in Greensburg, PA carried several GE's and a few Sanyo's. I remember the Sanyo's looking and feeling cheap. I still have that disdain of Sanyo's today. That evening at Gee Bee's, I remember dismissing the two Sanyo's immediately. It was between two GE's. The one I wanted had 4 speakers but was $140. The GE 3-5252A had just two speakers but was $99...and that's what I had in my pocket. No regrets with the GE. I loved it and it served me well for many years. I still own a pristine 3-5252A acquired off of eBay years ago!
Side Bar - our Gee Bee's had the best damn lunch-counter burgers on the planet. The ladies used to pour a splash of water on the burger and cover it with a beat-up pot lid to steam it. Heavenly.

Reactions: floyd

Tirarcova

Welcome back to the hobby!

I've recently discovered it for myself within the last two years. I concur with your thoughts on not chasing grail boxes - there are lots of good boxes out there that are not "grails".

Happy collecting!

Reactions: Jam_On_It