National Panasonic RX-7000 - Cool White LED Illuminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Reli said:
So did you use one LED for the tuner, and another for the VU's?
I used the 12V LED strip, with each segment with 3 LEDs in series with a resistor. So it was easier for me to use 3 LEDs in combo. There are two on the Tuner Dial, one for the VU and another 3 LED strip for the cassette window. I wanted to connect it with least soldering and connections.

Ideal should have been 2 LEDs for the VU and one for the Tuner dial. Yes, the curved tuner dial will disperse the light uniformly with one LED, whereas VU meter glass is straight and it needs two on both sides to get uniform lighting. May be next time, if I open it, I will change it.

Reactions: H3NK3L

Usttunt

Member (SA)
Dec 15, 2012
Scranton
Cpl-Chronic said:
I have used chip type LED coming on strip. Only plain LEDs are used without any extra film or diffuser. But what you see is how the National engineers has designed the lighting in the RX-7000.

When I posted the same in s2g, I gave the title -
"National RX-7000 dial light - As its designer wanted it"

Just one LED, any bright LED, is enough to give that illumination all over the Radio dial, uniformly. There is an acrylic glass plate on top of the dials and the printing is done with some sort of reflective ink. When you apply a light on the edge of that glass plate, the light diffracts within the glass plate and reflect out from the fluorescent printing. If you simply replace the original bulb in RX-7000 with a powerful lamp, the same effect will come out.

The plate material must be working on the same principle of Fiber optics. Anybody has noticed, RX-7000 dial plate is fixed to form a curve, it is not straight. This is to achieve infinite reflection of light within the plate, like in fiber optics.

Many high end amps of the 80's has similar dials. I endorse, National RX-7000 is a Hi-Fi system, fitted in a boombox case, as it is said.

It was accidentally found out on suggestion from my 14 years old son. I was trying to fix the LED to illuminate the surface of the dial, when he came in and asked to try on the edge of that glass plate. And there was that mesmerizing glow on all over the dial.

I will post in detail later.
SWEEET!!!! :drool: :drool: My GF-777Z was designed with lights in mind too. They just never fit it with too many bulbs & I used RGB controller with strips to finish the job. Yours looks so smooth, like it's backlit. you can tell they designed the dial & VU's for best effect with lighting. RGB's would POP on that panny.[/quote]
If you can share some pics it would be great

Usttunt

Member (SA)
Dec 15, 2012
Scranton
Usttunt said:
Cpl-Chronic said:
I have used chip type LED coming on strip. Only plain LEDs are used without any extra film or diffuser. But what you see is how the National engineers has designed the lighting in the RX-7000.

Just one LED, any bright LED, is enough to give that illumination all over the Radio dial, uniformly. There is an acrylic glass plate on top of the dials and the printing is done with some sort of reflective ink. When you apply a light on the edge of that glass plate, the light diffracts within the glass plate and reflect out from the fluorescent printing. If you simply replace the original bulb in RX-7000 with a powerful lamp, the same effect will come out.

The plate material must be working on the same principle of Fiber optics. Anybody has noticed, RX-7000 dial plate is fixed to form a curve, it is not straight. This is to achieve infinite reflection of light within the plate, like in fiber optics.

Many high end amps of the 80's has similar dials. I endorse, National RX-7000 is a Hi-Fi system, fitted in a boombox case, as it is said.

It was accidentally found out on suggestion from my 14 years old son. I was trying to fix the
peimar lighting to illuminate the surface of the dial, when he came in and asked to try on the edge of that glass plate. And there was that mesmerizing glow on all over the dial.

SWEEET!!!! :drool: :drool: My GF-777Z was designed with lights in mind too. They just never fit it with too many bulbs & I used RGB controller with strips to finish the job. Yours looks so smooth, like it's backlit. you can tell they designed the dial & VU's for best effect with lighting. RGB's would POP on that panny.
If you can share some pics it would be great[/quote]

Do you have some good pics to show?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
RX7000 is one of the most beautiful boomboxes ever made.

I have all those series! I treasure them! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

National gave very poor lighting on the VU meters if RX7200. The bulb is on the left side of the dial viewed form the front. The right side of the VU meters is very dim. I need to check the current and voltage to find a replacemnt LED for this need.

That will be my next project!
:yes: :yes:

Maxx134

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2012
NYC USA
Out of all my boxes this is my very best sounding favorite as it reminds me of both the m70 and m90 combined and bests m70 TO ME in sound.
It is the only box I will keep for sure.
Of course the bigger m90 was better but i wonder if the bigger pana would beat it..

By the way, I cannot tell if the grill frame has real bolts or not..
Anybody here can answer that for me as this box is last on my list for restoration..

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
AE_Stereo said:

It was accidentally found out on suggestion from my 14 years old son. I was trying to fix the LED to illuminate the surface of the dial, when he came in and asked to try on the edge of that glass plate. And there was that mesmerizing glow on all over the dial.

Now this is what I really like from an LED upgrade. I never liked the chirstmas tree like decoration on boomboxes showing bright spots.

Excellent job! :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Maxx134 said:
By the way, I cannot tell if the grill frame has real bolts or not..
Anybody here can answer that for me as this box is last on my list for restoration....
Do you mean if the grill is removable? Yes the grill is removable from inside. When you remove the Speaker screws the grill / frame will come off.

Maxx134

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2012
NYC USA
oh thanks!
I cant wait ti start on this unit as I love its sound.
some boxes look good but the audio quality varies.
this box has it all, wood grain, nice grills, big meters home audio quality.
I always thought the m70 & m90 were best in sound but this unit its right up there in quality although the m70 is slighty louder.in bass but not deeper.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
RX-7000 is very easy to work with, once opened. Everything is directly accessible.
To open, unsnap up the cassette door. Other than the usual screws from backside, there are two washer thin nuts on two of the rotary controls on the front side too.

Maxx134

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2012
NYC USA
thanks! my box is soo dusty all the controls need cleaning and I hope to get the tapeworking again as it tries to work

Status
Not open for further replies.