My large collection of old school hip hop live and radio tapes

Magnotron

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2020
Amsterdam, Netherlands
My love for boomboxes is closely related to my love for old school hip hop. Shared a lot of 1978-1985 US and UK hip hop tapes (mp3) from radio and live performances on my blog https://old-school-hiphop-tapes.blogspot.com/ Stopped with actively sharing tapes but if there are boomboxery members who see links on my blog to tapes they want to have: let me know. I'm not starting up the whole blog again but alway willing to share some stuff of my collection with boomboxery members. For all who just want quick access to some great hip hop radio and live tapes, i have uploaded more then 8 hours listing pleasure on pcloud. If you follow the link you should be able to listen to the mp3 but also to download it. Let me know if you like it :) https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZ5nTUkZ0FkvGQ8vETXyrhKCTEVAVR1VXnWk
It contains:
* A radio mix of whodini's big mouth, it's yours and other classic tracks.
* A radio mix of breaking in space (one of my all time favorite hip hop tracks)
* A radio mix of buffalo Girls (damn, first time i heard that single on the radio, i was blown away)
* a Marley Marl radio mix of the Crash Crew 'on the radio' (great boombox track)
* a Chuck Chillout KISSFM mastermix from 1985 (aired in december, starting with Audio two Christmas Rhyme , but man this is one of my favorite tapes for the whole year)
* a 1985 WRKS Latin Rascals mix
* Chuck Chillout mixing Public Enemy and RUN DMC
* Tony Humphries mixing Whiz Kid / GLOBE play that beat on KISS FM (what a great mix that is!!), Dollar Bill and a 1983 mix
* Latin Rascals mixes including 'it's yours' (they made cutting and pasting tape an art form)
* Mr Magic Disco show case (1981, Magic talking about the movie Wild Style, this is truely hip hop history)
* Kid Kapri
and more :-)

Last edited:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Nice! :breakdance: :dj:

There was a guy named James at 91.1 FM (Vanderbilt University in Nashville) who hosted a Saturday radio show featuring all the newest hip-hop, electro, and rap records. This was 1985-1986. I wish I still had all those tapes. One thing about James... he always seemed to fall victim to the occasional 45rpm 12-inch single following a 33rpm single. :lol:

Reactions: Magnotron

Magnotron

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2020
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Nice! :breakdance: :dj:

There was a guy named James at 91.1 FM (Vanderbilt University in Nashville) who hosted a Saturday radio show featuring all the newest hip-hop, electro, and rap records. This was 1985-1986. I wish I still had all those tapes. One thing about James... he always seemed to fall victim to the occasional 45rpm 12-inch single following a 33rpm single. :lol:
Playing a lot of 12-inch maxsingles myself, i have to admit: sometimes i also use the wrong speed :lol: And especialy with the early 80's maxi singles 33 rpm was used often and rpm was not always indicated. resulting in playing a 45 on 33 speed. Lot the 12 inches i buy today have both bpm and rpm written on the cover with pen. The previous owner / dj wanted to be sure he/she played it correct.:dj:

Reactions: Fatdog

tbrent

Aug 1, 2020
Brentboy1568
My love for boomboxes is closely related to my love for old school hip hop. Shared a lot of 1978-1985 US and UK hip hop tapes (mp3) from radio and live performances on my blog https://old-school-hiphop-tapes.blogspot.com/ Stopped with actively sharing tapes but if there are boomboxery members who see links on my blog to tapes they want to have: let me know. I'm not starting up the whole blog again but alway willing to share some stuff of my collection with boomboxery members. For all who just want quick access to some great hip hop radio and live tapes, i have uploaded more then 8 hours listing pleasure on pcloud. If you follow the link you should be able to listen to the mp3 but also to download it. Let me know if you like it :) https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZ5nTUkZ0FkvGQ8vETXyrhKCTEVAVR1VXnWk
It contains:
* A radio mix of buffalo Girls (damn, first time i heard that single on the radio, i was blown away)
* a Marley Marl radio mix of the Crash Crew 'on the radio' (great boombox track)
* a Chuck Chillout KISSFM mastermix from 1985 (aired in december, starting with Audio two Christmas Rhyme , but man this is one of my favorite tapes for the whole year)
* Tony Humphries mixing Whiz Kid / GLOBE play that beat on KISS FM (what a great mix that is!!), Dollar Bill and a 1983 mix
* Latin Rascals mixes including 'it's yours' (they made cutting and pasting tape an art form)
* Mr Magic Disco show case (1981, Magic talking about the movie Wild Style, this is truely hip hop history)
* Kid Kapri
This is so dope, thank you for sharing will definitely be checking it out!

Teto Selekto

Aug 27, 2023
Tokyo
It contains:
* Kid Kapri

I loved your blog...unfortunately I lost many mp3s...any chance you could share with me some early tapes? thanks

Thomy71

Member (SA)
Mar 8, 2023
Germany
Hey, I just notice I never scrolled down far enough to find this. Thank you very much! Would love some more long tapes like the Latin Rascals of Dec 1985. :-)