Meet “The Leia Project” - Last Hope Blockbuster

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Can you please provide some details on exactly what you mean by "their parts are not good."?
From my personal experience they initially blamed my design for their poor quality prints which were soft and crumbly. Funny that they had printed my same design a few weeks earlier with no issues. As far as customer service, they didn’t want to refund me until I showed them a confirmation message of a Better Business Bureau complaint ( they have a similar complaint on BBB.org). I would not recommend them at all.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
PLA MJF. I guess it is more of the response to their equipment error and customer service. I am sticking with Shapeways and my own printer.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Today is the day my 3D printer arrives!

Only thing it says it’s scheduled to arrive around 7:00 pm via UPS. I will set it up today and print my parts in the morning on Thursday to allow supervised print time.

My delivery from Shapeways.com of the 3D printed Spindle Gears and Heads Mount Bracket are coming on Monday so I’ll be working on getting Leia’s tape deck functioning again.

I have about 4 3D designs to print which are:

1. Cassette Door(s)
2. Hooks for the Cassette Door(s)
3. Hooks for the Tape Transport Buttons (they were corroded off)
4. A few more Spindle Gears to see how they come out

Depending on the quality of prints of the cassette door I will sand them smooth and paint them and then apply the GE Logo decal I made. I’ll make a quick trip to HomeDepot to get som acrylic glass for the cassette window.

Gonna have some fun bringing Leia back to life. I’m still debating the tinting on the box, I might remove it and go original but with the blue led lighting.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Painted with the hooks attached to make it a smooth fit. I went for the weathered look for the paint job so the door wouldn't stick out with flawless paint. think I impressed myself! Gonna be making maybe 2 more to see which version I like the best - learned a lot doing this but the door looks way better than the donor door and miles from the naked look.

My favorite part of the process was when the acrylic glass I had cut for it slide right in. I may still use adhesive to glue it in but for now it's secure.

I might snatch up all those cheaper Blockbuster's with missing doors, lol - just kidding 3 is enough for me.

tempImageDj1rar.jpg

tempImagekvCApv.jpg