Make Your Own Speaker Surround...Better Than Foam!!!

broome

Member (SA)
Sep 18, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Excellent guide ... I have some Sony APM hifi speakers with square woofers to repair that I can't buy surrounds for. this approach looks better than the Japanese "chamois method".

Thanks

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
As for the mold, I would probably try to use something like a fuel hose, glue it to some board to match exactly the dimensions and corners of the speaker. Then lube it with silicon oil or spray, so that the plasti-dip wont stuck on to the hose. For fabric, I would use -very- thin polyester. This is really interesting.. Don't know what would be an alternative for the Plasti-Dip in European market...?

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
kittmaster said:
I have a question, I see your using hot glue......what happens when the box is hit with direct sunlight and the glue starts to melt again?
The type of glue used will not give up the ghost under normal summer conditions. I have put my heat gun to it before attaching just to see. The are different chemical makeups of glue sticks that can be used as well. The kind I get are not the "craft paper" type... :-)

That's not to say under extraordinary conditions there may be some risk though... :hmmm:

LJV

Member (SA)
Nov 18, 2012
What do you guys think about neoprene as material? I have in mind those shirts and shorts they make for yet-ski riders and surfers.

If someone has piece of such clothing, it would be interesting to share info what is the thickness of neoprene, and is it just neoprene, or does it have a layer of fabric too?

ms-mer

Member (SA)
Mar 19, 2013
Halle, Germany
Absolutely great job! For me it was difficult enough to recone speakers with ready-bought foams. But your work is outstanding!

regards, Marco

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is a great job done by a skilled professional like Freddie!

There is a big and hard step that I cannot do.

It is to align the voice coil. I've done that with other speakers and find it hard to do on these types.

So, I never tried to venture..... :-O

Last edited:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Very interesting idea to use Plasti-Dip as the material to impregnate the cloth with. Hopefully it will not stiffen over time, like some rubber-impregnated surrounds do. For example the Panasonic RX-A5 suffers from that problem. The active woofers have tar/rubber-impregnated cloth surrounds which become hard as a rock after 40 years, and bass suffers as a result. So you need to replace them.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Very interesting idea to use Plasti-Dip as the material to impregnate the cloth with. Hopefully it will not stiffen over time, like some rubber-impregnated surrounds do. For example the Panasonic RX-A5 suffers from that problem. The active woofers have tar/rubber-impregnated cloth surrounds which become hard as a rock after 40 years, and bass suffers as a result. So you need to replace them.
Jvc is notorious for stiff speaker surround but the reasoning behind it is to maintain linearity in the Excursion by keeping the foam stiff in other words it restricts it enough to keep the voice coil from jumping out of the gap from over Excursion.