Magnavox D8443 power issues (yes on radio, no on cassette)

JJC_8443

Mar 12, 2024
Westfield, Massachusetts
Just getting into D8443 that had been used in an mechanic's garage. Cleaning out case, boards ... power for radio (all bands function) but zero power to the left side... headphone jack works. Cassette gears seem intact, cassette buttons function, replaced drive rubber band ....

Is there a typical culprit, bad motor or fuse to look out for? Any help is much appreciated, love this forum!

Attachments

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Wow that looks in bad shape. the first thing i would do is giver all the switches and knobs a good spray with switch cleaner, second thing is look for a crack in the main board, i've never came across any philips with a Blown amp. i have a 8444 myself, i had it apart a while ago and lost the switch off the side, been looking around the house for it for the passed 2 years, but it's gone

Reactions: JJC_8443

JJC_8443

Mar 12, 2024
Westfield, Massachusetts
Wow that looks in bad shape. the first thing i would do is giver all the switches and knobs a good spray with switch cleaner, second thing is look for a crack in the main board, i've never came across any philips with a Blown amp. i have a 8444 myself, i had it apart a while ago and lost the switch off the side, been looking around the house for it for the passed 2 years, but it's gone
I will get more images up to show the inside boards, Thank you for tips for a main board crack, will do!

JJC_8443

Mar 12, 2024
Westfield, Massachusetts
I'm confused on what's working and what's not.
Not Working ...
The Tape player itself has no power. The line-in and RCA line seem like duds, but the headphone jack will play radio.
The battery cover was missing (on order) but new D batteries do not power the unit (no radio)...

Working ...
The Radio AM/FM/SW1 & 2 work, along with speakers. Front panel buttons and dials all work.
Power Cord will power radio, front Red LED light for on.

Not ruling out problem(s) ...
There doesn't see, to be any issues with gears but they are being replaced (on order)

I'm attaching some images from day 1 of opening up the case... I will take better framed photos with lighting asap

Thank you for asking!

Attachments

Last edited:

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Not Working ...
The Tape player itself has no power. The line-in and RCA line seem like duds, but the headphone jack will play radio.
The battery cover was missing (on order) but new D batteries do not power the unit (no radio)...

Working ...
The Radio AM/FM/SW1 & 2 work, along with speakers. Front panel buttons and dials all work.
Power Cord will power radio, front Red LED light for on.

Not ruling out problem(s) ...
There doesn't see, to be any issues with gears but they are being replaced (on order)

I'm attaching some images from day 1 of opening up the case... I will take better framed photos with lighting asap

Thank you for asking!
On this model you have to press record on the tape deck for the line in to work.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Yikes, that thing is filthy.
I've never owned one of these so I'm just spitballing.
Did you check power at the motor when play, rew, or ff is pressed?
If not, it could be a leaf switch that is dirty.
Normally when one of those are engaged, a leaf switch is depressed that sends power to the motor.

Above you wrote "power for radio but zero power to the left side".
What did that mean?
I'm just trying to get more details in case someone with knowledge on these reads it.

JJC_8443

Mar 12, 2024
Westfield, Massachusetts
This D4883 is a bit on the filthy side ... Funny you say Leaf Switch, I was the only part noticeably pushed further into the case at first look. I will focus there as well as board cracks. Thank you, Tinman, this help, great

Reactions: Tinman

JJC_8443

Mar 12, 2024
Westfield, Massachusetts
Yikes, that thing is filthy.
I've never owned one of these so I'm just spitballing.
Did you check power at the motor when play, rew, or ff is pressed?
If not, it could be a leaf switch that is dirty.
Normally when one of those are engaged, a leaf switch is depressed that sends power to the motor.

Above you wrote "power for radio but zero power to the left side".
What did that mean?
I'm just trying to get more details in case someone with knowledge on these reads it.
The upper left, cassette area, but that might be the motor itself. I have yet to get a multimeter on this

tvdreamplaza

Aug 9, 2022
Washington
I’ve got one of these with basically the exact same problem. When I put it into cassette mode and hit any of the controls nothing happens, not even a motor spinning. No combination of buttons and modes and putting a cassette in the deck can make it work. It’s also fairly dirty. Maybe that correlates

JJC_8443

Mar 12, 2024
Westfield, Massachusetts
*** Just a quick update ***

History "I had no power coming from batteries, nor did the cassette show power when pressing any if it's functions (play/reverse, forward) but the radio works when the AC is plugged in.

When I ran wires from the battery terminal, the radio worked from the main amplifier board... the cassette player didn't, but when I used those wires to the cassette motor, it performed all functions (play, reverse, forward)... but I have noticed a broken lower gear, and now believe it it IS the switch on the cassette body that isn't calling power to the motor.

I still have to resolve the issue with battery power to being available past the AC transformer board.

Figure out if the stereo green light works

Looking for an easy line-in for mp3 player (pre-amp)

I have also taken the "grill" off, sanded, and primer

Fixed a broken Potentiometer for balance

Reactions: Tinman and floyd