Lost a family member!

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
Yesterday, our handsome boy Duke crossed the Rainbow Bridge. It’s so heartbreaking! Miss him so badly! He was 11 years and 6 months yesterday! Miss our most loving and caring family member and now have to live with his good memories! I don’t know how we will overcome this pain! When can daddy walk with you again…..Miss all the wet kisses, tail wagging and the excitement he sees me! RIP our very handsome Duke!
1f494.png
1f494.png
1f494.png
1f494.png

~Royce

1724682516613.png1724759023145.png

Last edited:

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
I Had my dog for 12 years, he was my best friend.. when i lost him i cried like a child.. in front of my 31 year old son, he had never seen me cry before.. it's really hard to deal with the loss of a pet, they're not just a pet though, they are family.. RIP Duke.. You Was a Good Dog..

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
Thank you all for the comforting words and love!

Every minute has become a struggle missing my loving Duke! He was my life! I see him everywhere.......We both were always together.
Missing him every second has become the biggest pain of my life! I need to somehow overcome it. God, help me!

I always tried to make him happy, play ball with him and go for long walks. All our neighbors knew us because of Duke and made friends with lots of people.
Vehicles used to slow down and greet us seeing my handsome Duke. I made sure to always dress well when I walk him no matter what.

Duke made my days longer and very active. I don't know how I can overcome this grief! We are heartbroken...... :sad:

BMoney

Member (SA)
Thank you all for the comforting words and love!

Every minute has become a struggle missing my loving Duke! He was my life! I see him everywhere.......We both were always together.
Missing him every second has become the biggest pain of my life! I need to somehow overcome it. God, help me!

I always tried to make him happy, play ball with him and go for long walks. All our neighbors knew us because of Duke and made friends with lots of people.
Vehicles used to slow down and greet us seeing my handsome Duke. I made sure to always dress well when I walk him no matter what.

Duke made my days longer and very active. I don't know how I can overcome this grief! We are heartbroken...... :sad:
I feel your pain BBL. I think every dog owner/lover/parent has felt everything you express here. I went through it a few years ago when my Roxy passed. She was a puppy when I started collecting boomboxes. Back then, you could find a box on CraigsList, and meet up with some shady character who never understood why we wanted old boomboxes with cassette decks, and she always went with me. I took her everywhere. I'd take her with me when @Superduper and I would meet up for lunch and share our newly acquired grails. Then, I'd hit Hwy24 and roll through the Caldecott Tunnel to take her to the dog park in Richmond on our way home. Man, those were the days.

When she passed, I felt empty. The house felt empty. I didn't even know what to do with my day. I didn't even feel like I knew who I was anymore without her. Just like you, people in town knew me because of her. And, I dreaded seeing people because I knew they'd ask where she was. It's like being a superhero and losing your sidekick.

I know you've probably heard it countless times already, and I'm sure you don't believe it, but the days and the weeks will pass. Time is really the only thing that'll mend or dull your sorrow. And I'll tell you this: Duke, I'm sure, thought you were the greatest human on Earth. I'm sure he thought you provided the best home, and fed him the best food, and took him on the longest walks. We're all they know, and they love us regardless. Be proud of your time together, and be happy that your journey lasted all the way to it's natural end. Every day had its perils. You could've ran into a robber, a crazy driver, or another vicious animal, at any time. But, you didn't. You kept Duke safe all the way to end of the game. You're the champ, BBL. Hold your head high, honor your pal, and enter your initials at the top of the High-Scores screen. <3

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
I feel your pain BBL. I think every dog owner/lover/parent has felt everything you express here. I went through it a few years ago when my Roxy passed. She was a puppy when I started collecting boomboxes. Back then, you could find a box on CraigsList, and meet up with some shady character who never understood why we wanted old boomboxes with cassette decks, and she always went with me. I took her everywhere. I'd take her with me when @Superduper and I would meet up for lunch and share our newly acquired grails. Then, I'd hit Hwy24 and roll through the Caldecott Tunnel to take her to the dog park in Richmond on our way home. Man, those were the days.

When she passed, I felt empty. The house felt empty. I didn't even know what to do with my day. I didn't even feel like I knew who I was anymore without her. Just like you, people in town knew me because of her. And, I dreaded seeing people because I knew they'd ask where she was. It's like being a superhero and losing your sidekick.

I know you've probably heard it countless times already, and I'm sure you don't believe it, but the days and the weeks will pass. Time is really the only thing that'll mend or dull your sorrow. And I'll tell you this: Duke, I'm sure, thought you were the greatest human on Earth. I'm sure he thought you provided the best home, and fed him the best food, and took him on the longest walks. We're all they know, and they love us regardless. Be proud of your time together, and be happy that your journey lasted all the way to it's natural end. Every day had its perils. You could've ran into a robber, a crazy driver, or another vicious animal, at any time. But, you didn't. You kept Duke safe all the way to end of the game. You're the champ, BBL. Hold your head high, honor your pal, and enter your initials at the top of the High-Scores screen. <3
I don't know how to thank you for the comforting words.

Only dog owners like us know how much they mean to us. My whole life was all about making Duke happy and comfortable in every way. When he didn't like to trim his nails ne couldn't go up and down on wooden stairs and was always in one floor area. So I spend all my time in that level giving him company when we are in the house. He always sits beside me at look in my eyes. Evey look has a meaning and I only know his language. My wife used to tease me asking what look that is for and showing part of the tongue out. I will say he needs a treat now. from 8 weeks old tiny puppy till the day and time he passed away my life was circling around my boy. When I used to travel, I call home, and wife will tell her sisters Royce is calling but is not for checking on how I am doing but he wants to know how Duke is. When I come back one should see the excitement and all the hugs, wet kisses and run many times around me knocking his big furry tail everywhere. Even if I go out to the nearest grocery shop, I will tell him Daddy is going out and will be back soon. It comforts him and when I come back it is the same expression of happiness.

Now when I go to the main floor where he was, I see him everywhere and I am going nuts only to cry like a child. Everywhere I look I see his presence. I am trying every way to distract my mind and stay calm but find it so hard. One of my sons took days off to comfort us. He knows I am a weak soul and cannot handle this loss.

I have a huge collection of his videos and pictures and was going through it and remembering the good times we had together.
On 25th morning he didn't want to come for his morning walk and ears were kind of shaking and for the first time he wet the floor. At that time, I knew he is really sick and called the vet and based on her suggestion to emergency. Initial tests showed that he had high fever and big obstruction in the back area. After doing all sorts of tests they confirmed he had prostate XXXXXX and the best option was to make him sleep peacefully. I was never expecting the worse and only thought some antibiotics and shots will make him all fine. My world turned upside down and called my family to come over. This was unbearable.... doc even was not agreeing on taking him home for a day and bring him back. This was a big blow to us all and especially to me. I haven't eaten anything since the 25th morning and only had a light dinner last night. I somehow want to recover from this pain....

~Royce

1724798064748.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: floyd and BMoney

BMoney

Member (SA)
Only dog owners like us know how much they mean to us. My whole life was all about making Duke happy and comfortable in every way. When he didn't like to trim his nails ne couldn't go up and down on wooden stairs and was always in one floor area. So I spend all my time in that level giving him company when we are in the house. He always sits beside me at look in my eyes. Evey look has a meaning and I only know his language. My wife used to tease me asking what look that is for and showing part of the tongue out. I will say he needs a treat now. from 8 weeks old tiny puppy till the day and time he passed away my life was circling around my boy. When I used to travel, I call home, and wife will tell her sisters Royce is calling but is not for checking on how I am doing but he wants to know how Duke is. When I come back one should see the excitement and all the hugs, wet kisses and run many times around me knocking his big furry tail everywhere. Even if I go out to the nearest grocery shop, I will tell him Daddy is going out and will be back soon. It comforts him and when I come back it is the same expression of happiness.

Now when I go to the main floor where he was, I see him everywhere and I am going nuts only to cry like a child. Everywhere I look I see his presence. I am trying every way to distract my mind and stay calm but find it so hard. One of my sons took days off to comfort us. He knows I am a weak soul and cannot handle this loss.

I have a huge collection of his videos and pictures and was going through it and remembering the good times we had together.
On 25th morning he didn't want to come for his morning walk and ears were king of shaking and for the first time he wet the floor. At that time, I knew he is really sick and called the vet and based on her suggestion to emergency. Initial tests showed that he had high fever and big obstruction in the back area. After doing all sorts of tests they confirmed he had prostate XXXXXX and the best option was to make him sleep peacefully. I was never expecting the worse and only thought some antibiotics and shots will make him all fine. My world turned upside down and called my family to come over. This was unbearable.... doc even was not agreeing on taking him home for a day and bring him back. This was a big blow to us all and especially to me. I haven't eaten anything since the 25th morning and only had a light dinner last night. I somehow want to recover from this pain....

~Royce

View attachment 59319
BBL, you'll get through it, you'll recover from the pain. It's supposed to hurt. It has to be painful. If you didn't hurt or feel sad, it would mean you didn't really love him or didn't really care. And there are people out there like that, but you're not one of them. It hurts because Duke was that important to you, he was that special, and he left that much of a positive impact on your life. That's a huge achievement for him. Just try. Try your hardest to feel proud and fortunate to have had that and experienced all of that. I know it's hard, and the loss is still fresh since it's only been 2 days. But, in my opinion, you don't need to distract your mind or try to forget him. That would be doing him a disservice.

From the pictures, Duke was a big boy, and probably a sweetheart to you and your family. But, he was a German Shepherd, the apex of the dog world. He was full alpha, and I'm sure he was ready to give his life for your safety if he needed to. I feel like he would want you to absorb as much of his kick-ass strength as you could, and keep going in life. Whether it's humans or dogs, most living things who love us, want us to be happy. I'm sure that making you happy was his primary goal every day. I'm sure he's sad he can't keep doing it right now. And I'm sure, wherever he is, he wants your life to be happy. His memory making you sad would be the very last thing he would want.

I'll share this with you. It's been 4 years since mine passed. I still have her toy box, full of toys, in the same spot it's always been. I still have her food bowls in the kitchen. Sometimes, I still drop a chicken nugg or a hotdog in there if I'm eating it. It's what I would do if she was here, so why not. I don't know if that's mentally healthy. I don't know if your family will hate me for sharing that, and you end up doing it too and hoarding Duke's belongings :lol: but I find it comforting.

You need to eat. You don't have to enjoy it. But, please eat. If you're not around to remember and honor Duke's life, who will? Do it for your boy. <3

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
BBL, you'll get through it, you'll recover from the pain. It's supposed to hurt. It has to be painful. If you didn't hurt or feel sad, it would mean you didn't really love him or didn't really care. And there are people out there like that, but you're not one of them. It hurts because Duke was that important to you, he was that special, and he left that much of a positive impact on your life. That's a huge achievement for him. Just try. Try your hardest to feel proud and fortunate to have had that and experienced all of that. I know it's hard, and the loss is still fresh since it's only been 2 days. But, in my opinion, you don't need to distract your mind or try to forget him. That would be doing him a disservice.

From the pictures, Duke was a big boy, and probably a sweetheart to you and your family. But, he was a German Shepherd, the apex of the dog world. He was full alpha, and I'm sure he was ready to give his life for your safety if he needed to. I feel like he would want you to absorb as much of his kick-ass strength as you could, and keep going in life. Whether it's humans or dogs, most living things who love us, want us to be happy. I'm sure that making you happy was his primary goal every day. I'm sure he's sad he can't keep doing it right now. And I'm sure, wherever he is, he wants your life to be happy. His memory making you sad would be the very last thing he would want.

I'll share this with you. It's been 4 years since mine passed. I still have her toy box, full of toys, in the same spot it's always been. I still have her food bowls in the kitchen. Sometimes, I still drop a chicken nugg or a hotdog in there if I'm eating it. It's what I would do if she was here, so why not. I don't know if that's mentally healthy. I don't know if your family will hate me for sharing that, and you end up doing it too and hoarding Duke's belongings :lol: but I find it comforting.

You need to eat. You don't have to enjoy it. But, please eat. If you're not around to remember and honor Duke's life, who will? Do it for your boy. <3
You read my mind and know exactly what I am going through. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart!

I am hoarding all his belongings. You said it! I am keeping his large crate, all his toys, his collar with all the tags, leash with his name and lots of hair stuck on the Velcro, and food bowl for his loving memory. At one point of time, I gave him part of what I eat all the time and later when he had digestive disorders I stopped doing it. No matter what he will come and sit beside me and drool and put his nose through under arm and almost touch my plate. This habit was always there and when I want to eat that memory hurts me and I walk away from eating.

God give me strength! Today I have to wash his bowl and all and keep it in his crate. Whenever I take his collar out, he gives a look like are you abandoning me! So, when I give him a bath, I kept that collar, and he stayed calm with me. The most heartbreaking thing was to remove that collar from him after he was lifeless and also, he went to the door of the hospital and knocked on it to tell me daddy lets go home from this place. I cannot get over the pain thinking about it. I try to stay calm remembering the good times we had with him and all the love and care he gave us.

He was a gentle giant and never hurt anyone. His bark was so loud and woke up the whole neighborhood. Chasing squirrels was his big fun and there was a time a squirrel fainted seeing him so close when it was on the other side of tree. He went and sniffed it and didn't do anything to that poor squirrel. Later I wanted to make sure the squirrel was okay and found him resting on his legs and slowly walking away to a nearby bush. Same happened to a rabbit and he didn't do anything to that poor guy. After a while the rabbit was all fine. He grabbed a few birds and sadly they didn't make it after me tried my best to bring them back to life.

Neighbors are giving us cards and comforting messages and they all loved Duke. Some gave handwritten messages and placed it our mailbox. I will post one. Some dogs were scared of his size and didn't come very close to him. Some got loose from the owners and ran to me and Duke. The owners were so surprised to see Duke playing with them and not showing any aggression.

Every minute is so hard for me now and I know I have to overcome from all this but memories will come like a landslide and I go helpless and crazy! I hold to the cross on my chain and just pray! I haven't played music or watched TV since he left us.

~Royce Mathews
1724856344493.jpeg

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
What a great pic @Fatdog :yes:

And, I hope you ate something today @BoomboxLover48 !!
It's awesome to see all the love and support from you're getting from your community and neighbors.
Duke definitely touched a lot of people's hearts.
I struggled to eat half of a double bullseye and one loaf of bread. I feel him under my arm drooling and lifting my arm asking daddy, give me the good stuff you eat. You were not like that before and gave me all you ate.

• Haha
Reactions: BMoney