Lettering and decals - solved

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi All,
I have finally got round to creating a detailed how to guide for anyone interested in having a go at their own decals. Hopefully you will find it useful. I would be interested to know how you get on if you have a go. If you have any of your own tips please share.
I don't pretend to be an expert but if anyone has any questions I will try to help if I can.

Enjoy.

Attachments

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Has anyone done anything similar with transparent vinyl decal paper and a die cut machine (silhouette or cricut) to get the lettering precisely cut. I know the home die cut machines are marketed for crafting but I saw a youtube video of a guy turning out decals with it.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I didn't have any luck with my Silhouette. The swivel blades don't have the maneuverability to make all the tight turns at that scale without disrupting nearby material - the tiny slivers of lettering have a harder time staying stuck to the backing and shift around/detach. At that scale you also start to get into the noise of the machine's limits of accuracy and things get kinda wonky. I did have some success cutting the TRC975 tweeter lettering but it didn't really look what I would call "die cut" quality, and they're twice as big as lettering for controls. They definitely looked rough.

Reactions: BoxBeats

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Thanks Caution. I’m just researching Silhouette and might buy an older Cameo 1. Is the Business Edition of the software worth the crazy $99 upgrade?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Maybe use it for a while before deciding. I never did. I use other tools for designing, so all it needs to do is let me import my stuff so I can arrange them and configure the blade.

Reactions: BoxBeats