LASONIC TRC-931 (MK2) - Keep the original factory protective plastic, or remove??

Peel off the OG protective plastic, or leave as is?

• Total voters

Myklejay

Nov 14, 2021
Portland, OR
Hey all,

I recently scored a nice collector condition TRC-931, and it has several panels (tape decks, EQ etc.) that still have the original factory clear protective plastic. I would have no problem keeping it as is, but the clear protective plastic is looking a little dull and also curling up at the edges... looks a little ratty, doesn't do this box justice.

Wondering what you all would do... peel it and have pristine graphics and plastic, or leave as-is and keep the original but ratty looking protective plastic?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I’ve had a 931 and a 975 both still with protective plastic on. The joy of peeling it off to reveal the pristine surface was immense lol. Not saving that joy for someone else!

Reactions: Myklejay

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
If you want to really use the box – peel it and enjoy! If it is more for display and you see yourself selling it one day, then I would leave as is.
But I would definately not use the box regularly with the protective plastic still on.

Myklejay

Nov 14, 2021
Portland, OR
If you want to really use the box – peel it and enjoy! If it is more for display and you see yourself selling it one day, then I would leave as is.
But I would definately not use the box regularly with the protective plastic still on.
Curious if you feel that leaving the factory protective plastic on (even if it looks a little worn) adds any resale value or increased collectibility to the box?

Also curious of what the possible negative affects of using the box with the factory protective plastic intact... I can’t think of any harm that could/would be caused by using the box with the plastic in place. (As it has been for the past 30 years

Myklejay

Nov 14, 2021
Portland, OR
I’ve had a 931 and a 975 both still with protective plastic on. The joy of peeling it off to reveal the pristine surface was immense lol. Not saving that joy for someone else!
Totally agree… I’m so torn on this. I am leaning towards leaving it intact, but it’s like that scab when your a kid, the urge to pick at it is unbearable! Lol

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
Curious if you feel that leaving the factory protective plastic on (even if it looks a little worn) adds any resale value or increased collectibility to the box?

Also curious of what the possible negative affects of using the box with the factory protective plastic intact... I can’t think of any harm that could/would be caused by using the box with the plastic in place. (As it has been for the past 30 years
The protective plastic nearly guarantees that the panels and graphics aren't scratched so in an online sale it would give me extra confidence, yes. No guessing if the seller took honest pics etc.

On modern devices (mobile phones, laptops etc.) it is said that the protective plastic could trap the heat underneath. Sounds somewhat reasonable to me as most modern devices are packed and don't have much space inside for air to circulate in the first place. But still unlikely.

As the insides of Lasonics are known to consist mostly of air anyways I wouldn't bother about that too much. :lol:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
reminds me of my buddy every time he gets a new car he put seat covers on it now the rest of the f****** car falls apart around them but those f****** seats look brand new when it goes to the junkyard.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Peel that ****! YOLO
For me.... if I'm keeping a box, I'd peel it.

If I intent on selling it later, the keep it.

OR... find something like a piece of non-stick plastic or wax paper like stickers come on, and take them off and stick it to those, then maybe you can save them if you sell later.

Just enjoy peeling them off.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
the protective film might actually help you in the sun because I can tell you the sun will f*** these boxes up I've seen the the graphics completely curl up on them when they're left in the sun too long.