JVC RC-M90

supramk2

Member (SA)
Sep 2, 2020
usa
Anyone have a clear shot of the board on the tape deck. I can't make out the map for the fr704 resister . trying to replace them all. I can get the deck to play by engaging the solenoid.

IMG_2987.JPG

supramk2

Member (SA)
Sep 2, 2020
usa
my board is black from heat and cant make out the trace. I needed a clear shot of the trace marks on the board

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Your board is covered in nasty flux in that area, a good rub with a cotton swab soaked in some rubbing alcohol should help.

supramk2

Member (SA)
Sep 2, 2020
usa
anyone have an spare board? I tried to clean and some traces are off the board. I can't see it clearly

Superduper

Member (SA)
Your board really doesn't look all that bad, I've definitely seen worse. Spare M90 deck boards are rarer than hens tooth and you aren't going to convince anyone to strip one out of their valuable units without putting a firearm to their head. Unfortunately because they are so valuable, people simply aren't going to part out their units, most people will try to sell beat-up unit as "for restoration" even though they really should be parted but I don't blame them because they still usually end up selling for big $$'s. Years ago, used decks were over $200 and these days, if one ever comes up, it might cost even more. Someone has already posted the PCB diagram, so just use that to fix yours. And if the resolution isn't good enough for you, AnalogAlley.com sells a high resolution manual with the deck PCB diagram in color. The deck supplement is where the deck PCB diagram is located and it is appended to the regular service manual so it's at the end, just FYI. The cost is cheap, especially if it helps you fix your deck.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Boomboxlover48's image, from the system wiring diagram page, is missing the fusible resistors. The manual writers likely got an advance photo of the board in order to create that wiring diagram, but by the time they finished drawing all the extra stuff all over it, engineers realized that there was a serious risk of damage without the fusibles. They even ran out of room for FR704 and had to put it on the back!

You can see this beta version of the board on page 6 where they show how to take the deck apart. There are jumpers and extra parts tacked all over it, including three fusibles. You can see where it should say FR704 along the top, instead of R752.

The fact that JVC made last-minute changes to the deck board may be why it doesn't have its own page in the service manual like all the other boards do. JVC published it as a supplement, and only Superduper's scan has it. It's very crisp and you can see the final version of the board where they modified it to include the fusible resistors.