JVC PC-V2 Cassette Levers & Broken Spring Catch - DIY Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
1. My PC-V2 had two missing cassette deck operating levers, both lever sections had been snapped off at the base and replacing them would require replacing the whole lever assemblies therefore needing spares from .....somewhere at .....sometime.......

2. The spring retaining .....I dunno.....'lug'(?) for the cassette door was also 'gerferked', it'd been snapped off leaving a floppy door that always needed assistance to open.

BB Purists: don't be upset, this BB would never make the grade as a Grail Box, it's minor league all the way!

Here's what I came up with to get the Levers back to a working condition.

The problem of the missing levers:
DSCF0433.JPG
DSCF0492.JPG

The solution:
Firstly, roughly shape some plastic to assess suitability
DSCF0571.JPG

Smooth it down to a 'ready for painting' standard prior to fitting
DSCF0503.JPG

Fitting begins using Plastic Weld
DSCF0506.JPG

Prime, paint and lacquer the replacement levers. *Note I didn't want to go to the expence of a whole can of paint for the white tips so I dug out a little white nail varnish for the tips. I may alter this to red in due course
DSCF0666.JPG

Casing back on, everything fits nicely
DSCF0668.JPG

The finished job!
DSCF0674.JPG

Now for the door spring! It's buried deep and difficult to access but I'll do my best with the pics.

It may be difficult to see but the 'lug' that retains the door spring has snapped off. For reference, the black post in the centre is what the coiled part of the spring wraps around and the broken off lug is just to the left, a little further back and forms part of the external casing so would have been a BIG replacement!.
DSCF0497.JPG

The repair required a couple of small parts which proved to be fiddly to deal with and even worse to Plastic Weld into position. No room for mistakes 'ere, misses!
DSCF0498.JPG

Teeny weeny parts affixed enabling the upper part of the spring to be kept under tension, spring in place once dry and, after a week of regular use, it works just fine 'n' dandy like it oughta!

DSCF0660.JPG

Next: the equaliser caps (oh, dear!).

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Thanks, BBB! The spring retainer was just so fiddly, the sort of job you can't see what your doing 'cos your hand's already in the way before you start! Patience is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.