Just recently pulled the trigger on a Realistic SCR 8 and waiting!

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I have been searching for the impossible, a clean Realistic SCR 8 but I found it yesterday and now I’m waiting for it. It has the typical issue with the heads being stuck but since I have experience with working on its brother model the Blockbuster 3-5259A, I should be good. I have seen a lot of SCR8’s on eBay that are missing the meter plate and cassette door. I’m thinking I might take a stab at recreating those two parts, depending how much time it will take and money. Thank God I got into 3D printing because I have made so many replacement parts for some of my boxes. Just working delicately with the Blockbuster I’ve broken pieces off the cassette tray and that flimsy tab that holds the metal plate that hides the idler mechanism. Time to gather the parts I know I’ll need and looking forward to a new project. Peace to all who love Boomboxes!

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I've had 6 or 7 SCR-8s over the years (none right now) and one blockbuster.
All were in very good to great condition but it's tough to find them like that now.
They're nice boxes to work on with plugs to separate most things unlike some that have soldered connections all over.
Every one of mine had the broken plastic spring retainer piece under the heads.
It's amazing that so many people tossed the doors in the garbage when the plastic hooks that held them on broke.
A couple dabs of glue could've been substituted.

Reactions: BoxBeats

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Just unboxed a very clean (outside) Realistic SCR 8. The box is scratchy on all the knobs so some Deoxit is prescribed to remedy the situation. Radio and meters work but it is dusty in the headers area and the heads bracket is broken but I have my parts and will drop some photos tomorrow.

Reactions: Ghettoman

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Just got finished installing the SCR 8 parts needed including belts, 3D printed heads plate, pinch roller, idler tire and some light oil( so happy to not have a broken idler gear). When I was disassembling the cassette door (I was being gentle like I do with the Blockbuster) and cracked two tabs on the right side. Luckily I found the broken pieces and super glued them back. Inside the box it was a bit dusty and it appeared that the box hadn’t been opened in a long time so I dusted her off. The main belt had some miles on it and when I went to install the secondary belt I discovered that the belt was melted everywhere. All that time spent with my Blockbusters paid off because everything works great (except rewind for some reason).The VU plate came off right as I was tightening the last screw so I put it on my scanner and saved a copy of a high resolution scan for possibly recreating it. Might also take a stab at the door replacement because Ive seen so many boxes missing those parts. I’m rocking some Buddy Guy and this box rocks, my new favorite.

Attachments

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Looks like a nice box if it is working like they described.
Not sure if the antenna is there but the rest looks in tact and pretty good for anywhere around that price.

Reactions: BoxBeats

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Well…I spent a bit of time mulling whether I want to tackle the Realistic SCR-8 Vu plate replacement. Looks easy but it isn’t, mainly the fonts and the simulated aluminum texture.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
i just watched a video of one of these being repaired, the cassette decks are good Quality and well made, but they are supposed to be a nightmare, 1, the plastic mount that the head and erase head are screwed to is under a lot of pressure from the spring that raises the heads and it snaps off, the video i watched, the guy had to repair 2 of them with JB Weld and even then it didn't look that great, he said it was a common problem, and the second thing the guy said was, there is a small cog that runs the play spool, that splits and there is no fix for it.. i'm Quite devastated to see it because i love the radio and always wanted one, if you didn't know of the deck problems just be aware..

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I can concur on the effectiveness of Cautions 3D parts (idler gear and heads replacement mount) they power my two Blockbusters and Scr-8. I made the idler myself earlier with a 3D printer but it wasn’t quite right. Quality parts from Caution.

Reactions: Ghettoman

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
beautiful congrats lad
View attachment 58314
That's mine & For Sail! It needs a new transformer & power board.....some clown connected it to 240 V when it was set for 120 V :mad: There are issues on the main board but without a working transformer, it's hard to know what needs replacing! Right grille needs removing & pushing out & left tweeter has 2 small chips but apart from that, she is in great condition!

Oh, & cassette mechanism runs as it should too!

I bought it like this meaning to replace the generic transformer & input sockets - If I remember correctly, transformer is a 20V 0V 20V AC output I think the rectifier & diode bridge is on the mainboard - I may be wrong about that though - it was a while ago I bought it!

Avoid Earnoise.........

Before Restore & Repair - 10 March 2020 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
That's mine & For Sail! It needs a new transformer & power board.....some clown connected it to 240 V when it was set for 120 V :mad: There are issues on the main board but without a working transformer, it's hard to know what needs replacing! Right grille needs removing & pushing out & left tweeter has 2 small chips but apart from that, she is in great condition!

Oh, & cassette mechanism runs as it should too!

I bought it like this meaning to replace the generic transformer & input sockets - If I remember correctly, transformer is a 20V 0V 20V AC output I think the rectifier & diode bridge is on the mainboard - I may be wrong about that though - it was a while ago I bought it!

Avoid Earnoise.........

View attachment 58498
i defo like that radio, the only reason i didn't get back to you about it was because it's a big risk, if i can't repair it, it will end up being an expensive door stop lol

Reactions: Nickeccles