If there's one box I can't stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

funktoon

Member (SA)
Aug 26, 2015

i remember the day i first set eyes upon the "lady gaga/madonna"... i couldn't stop laughing at how cheap and tacky it looked with fake gold trim and how terrible the random red/yellow/green lighting looked with no blue for balance. to me, this boombox looks like someone vomited a toy robot into a boombox mold

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
funktoon said:
i remember the day i first set eyes upon the "lady gaga/madonna"... i couldn't stop laughing at how cheap and tacky it looked with fake gold trim and how terrible the random red/yellow/green lighting looked with no blue for balance. to me, this boombox looks like someone vomited a toy robot into a boombox mold
IDK it just looks 80's to me, which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling...but then again I was born in '72 ~pitow~

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I actually love the 550 due to its size and easy to carry strap. The one JVC I dislike is the 828. I hate the speaker grills, just looks so chinsy!!!!

Bad Boy Bill

funktoon

Member (SA)
Aug 26, 2015
People call Lasonics cheap and discolites gaudy all the time.
I'm sure nobody's feelings are getting hurt here, homie.
i managed to offend people with those very sentiments from this "uppity noob" who needs to learn some manners because i think the discolite is hideous looking. i hate the colors, the lights looks cheesy, and the asymetrical way they're arranged bothers me. if, the box had symmetrical lighting in just blue, green and purple, i'd like it more. i can't stand the red/yellow combo. i hate the color red. that's why i got in trouble repainting my tricycle as a toddler

as to the JVC PC5,

it's a bit on the small side, looks like it's about the same size as my first box, a yamaha PC-8, but i like the simple minimalist design myself. it reminds me of a stereo component. how dare you criticise it?! i'll hunt you down for that!!! just kidding. to each his or her own

one time, i actually had the chance to VOTE on a boombox design. i was surveyed in a mall to pick a favorite out of 3 mockups of the same box with different trim and graphics. i couldn't pick a favorite though as each had busy design elements like chrome trim or excessively graphic radio dials, so i picked the most minimal elements from each of the three and said a hybrid looked best. the PC5 haters probably wouldn't have liked my choices. i like the radio dial on the PC5 in particular... VERY understated.

flashy graphics and chrome look cheap to me, but understated looks more like home gear.

as to lasonics, i had a TRC-935 and repainted PRECISELY because i hated all the chrome and busy graphics, but it was clearly the best sounding box out of a dozen on display and i liked the funtionality of the 10 band EQ. some day, i hope to share a pic of it, though many would argue that the duck rock inspired paint job is even gaudier

Status
Not open for further replies.