How do you add a line in to a Helix-4636?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I'm going to just flat out say it.... there is NO WAY that anybody, anywhere, anyplace, can look a a photo of a boombox circuit board, and tell you which pad to connect to, which wire to cut/splice, which trace to cut. It would be hard enough to look at a blowup of a schematic diagram, but just looking at a photo, it would be impossible. The exception is that IF someone were to have that exact same boombox in front of them, figure it out, and then post a closeup to you of how it's done. Other than that, YOU would have to have enough technical expertise and skills to be able to figure out where to tie in. That's because EVERY SINGLE MODEL or variant of that model is going to be different. There is no modular system or interface like you would expect when assembling a modern computer. And although one can sometimes "presume" that red=pos and black=neg/ground, it is by no way guaranteed, and beyond +/-, there simply is no standard wiring convention to go by for any other wire connection. Also black neg is different than black ground. Giiven this, the only way to do a mod like this is to test and trace to find the audio signals. That is a hands on process and not a look at a photo of one side of a board and tell you what to do type of thing.

On my Wards retrofit, that refit, if done exactly like that, would only work for that particular model. While it could technically work on virtually any model, the exact method of where to splice into the radio signals varies depending upon the model. I showed it not to suggest that you do it exactly like that on any other boombox, rather it was to demonstrate the overall process you would employ and while a similar mod could be employed on say, a sanyo boombox, you would still need to customize the install and retrofit, and this means first finding out the exact audio signal path.

On your particular boombox, here are 2 possible methods I would approach it:

1. First, find the MPX decoder chip. It would usually be one of the IC's on the tuner board. Look up the datasheet and find the audio L/R output signals pins. Follow those traces (through caps and resistors if necessary) until it terminates at the function selectors. That would usually be where it would be tapped. However, it MUST be confirmed by way of an audio signal tracer. Cut these traces and they would be where you would splce into. On some models with a separate tuner board, this is much easier since the audio signal lines would be tethered by wires and they are easier to find.

2. I found a larger image online where I could see the buttons. You have No AUX, No Phono. Howver, you DO have a power button. That is good because on many boomboxes, the function selector on tape setting shuts the boombox down. It looks like it is possible to power on the boombox on the tape setting using only the power switch. If that is the case, then you just need to find the audio signal pins of that tape switch. The simplest way is to use an audio signal generator, and probe the pins from behind the switch. I'm not going to go into a whole classroom lecture on how to do that. But that is how I would approach it. This is the simpler of the two methods since it requires no switching jack, just a standard stereo 1/8" jack (or even RCA's) and tap into the correct side of the tape switch. Obviously, you should not have anything connected to the new aux connections when a tape is playing and make sure to use shielded cables.

Smeats

Member (SA)
Feb 14, 2015
Perth, Scotland, UK
I really appreciate all of your time and input everyone and you are a wealth of knowledge Superduper! I was kinda banking on this being a (semi) simple job and I have to admit I'm........

iomy.jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Have you tried just turning your iPod down to its minimum volume setting? That's what I've done on a couple of my boxes that only have Mic inputs, and it works fairly well. You might have to press Play or Rec/Play, but if it has a Remote jack, you can stick a plug in there and it will short the tape motor so that it doesn't run.

Smeats

Member (SA)
Feb 14, 2015
Perth, Scotland, UK
Reli said:
Have you tried just turning your iPod down to its minimum volume setting? That's what I've done on a couple of my boxes that only have Mic inputs, and it works fairly well. You might have to press Play or Rec/Play, but if it has a Remote jack, you can stick a plug in there and it will stop the tape motor.
I'll probably give this a try by temporary connecting a jack (it doesn't have any inputs) and see how it sounds!

hemiguy2006 said:
this radio doesnt even have a phono input????
not a single input of any sort! :no:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I don't like to discourage anyone to work on their box, but this task simply isn't a diy project for a beginner with no electronic skills to attempt unless someone already did it and documented the exact steps. The challenge of identifying the exact audio signal path locations alone require some understanding of electronics and test instruments that not everyone will have in their tool chest.

Smeats

Member (SA)
Feb 14, 2015
Perth, Scotland, UK
Superduper said:
I don't like to discourage anyone to work on their box, but this task simply isn't a diy project for a beginner with no electronic skills to attempt unless someone already did it and documented the exact steps. The challenge of identifying the exact audio signal path locations alone require some understanding of electronics and test instruments that not everyone will have in their tool chest.
It's cool Superduper, I don't have much experience of electronics or the right tools for the job.
It's a good thing I asked here first and you were good enought to give some sound advice to stop me doing any damage here! like I said before I was hoping it was going to be an easy job I could do at leisure on a Sunday afternoon! I can't even find a schematic diagram, service manual or a data sheet for this model or any of its AKA's helix-hx4636:
academy-pc1090
esc-unkn7
helix-hx4636
helix-hx4637
hortex-pc9090
international-unkn14
tec880
trident-unkn9
watson-rr5600

If I did I may have a (small) fighting chance :bang:

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
If you have, or can get maybe another boombox worth practicing on, that wouldn't hurt your feelings if you screwed up. I'd suggest building your skills on that. A more readily available and cheaper (price) box.

Like Superduper said, no box is going to be the same, but you may be able to harness some skills to be able to figure it out on this one later.

You'll never learn unless you do the research and try. But you'll feel terrible if you ruin a box you care about.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
If you wanna listen music from your phone, have another simple decision.
You must buy GPS navigator with FM transmitter.
Some of middle range navigator's have better transmitter than cheap China's module.
Copy music files to SD card, insert in navigator and play music.
In ebay you can find many good offerts.

I think to buy such GPS navigator for my car...

Smeats

Member (SA)
Feb 14, 2015
Perth, Scotland, UK
trippy1313 said:
If you have, or can get maybe another boombox worth practicing on, that wouldn't hurt your feelings if you screwed up. I'd suggest building your skills on that. A more readily available and cheaper (price) box.

Like Superduper said, no box is going to be the same, but you may be able to harness some skills to be able to figure it out on this one later.

You'll never learn unless you do the research and try. But you'll feel terrible if you ruin a box you care about.
Hi Trippy! Yeah it's not my favourite, but it looks so cool and I don't want to destroy it!
I've done a few little mods like bypassing a pre amp for a direct line in but I just followed someomes step by step instructions as they had allready done the mod before. If this box had a seperate tuner board I would be moreconfident I could find where to splice into but as is, it's beyond my (lack of) skills! :blush:

goodman said:
If you wanna listen music from your phone, have another simple decision.
You must buy GPS navigator with FM transmitter.
Some of middle range navigator's have better transmitter than cheap China's module.
Copy music files to SD card, insert in navigator and play music.
In ebay you can find many good offerts.

I think to buy such GPS navigator for my car...
Hi Goodman! I have a Belkin FM transmitter that is very good but I'm looking for a new Sat Nav for this summer anyway so I'll take a look at some that function built in! cheers!! :-)

Smeats

Member (SA)
Feb 14, 2015
Perth, Scotland, UK
Thanks to superduper :superduper: and my dad ( a retired tech teacher armed with his oscilloscope) I have successfully added a line in to my big ol' Helix!

Here is the left and right +ve connected to the tape function switch, the wires were crimped and soldered into female spade connectors that happened to be a nice snug fit onto the leafs of the switch!

funct sw.jpg

at the RCA socket they are soldered into place and the socket then grounded back to a point on the main PCB

conn.jpg

here is the socket mounted on the back!

skt.jpg

It worked very well but I'm not sure about the input level because I had to turn my MP3 player down to around half volume or it was simple too much for the speakers.

Anyhow! so far so good and his sucker is LOUD! ideal for a garage radio! :rock:

DSC00201.jpg

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Smeats said:
Thanks to superduper :superduper: and my dad ( a retired tech teacher armed with his oscilloscope) I have successfully added a line in to my big ol' Helix!

Here is the left and right +ve connected to the tape function switch, the wires were crimped and soldered into female spade connectors that happened to be a nice snug fit onto the leafs of the switch!

funct sw.jpg

at the RCA socket they are soldered into place and the socket then grounded back to a point on the main PCB

conn.jpg

here is the socket mounted on the back!

skt.jpg

It worked very well but I'm not sure about the input level because I had to turn my MP3 player down to around half volume or it was simple too much for the speakers.

Anyhow! so far so good and his sucker is LOUD! ideal for a garage radio! :rock:

DSC00201.jpg
Wow you did it! Looks good too :thumbsup: Much respect to :superduper: ,you, and your Dad for pulling together to make it work. Great job guys. Thats what Boomboxery is all about.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Way to go!!!! Most my boxes I turn my devices to 3/4 volume to prevent distortion and keep the volume on the box correct. One of the other guys might have more info but that doesn't sound too bad.

Looks great man.

Superduper

Member (SA)
The reason for the saturation is that the output of all these new modern personal devices do not have true "line-out" signals, they have headphone outputs. The power output and terminal impedance specs differs from the "line" standard. And since every device is different, they will all behave differently when connected to a circuit expecting line level signals. Also line level signals were never intended to be attenuable such as you would need with a headphone setup. Therefore, what this all means is that you really need to tailor the input signal for best sound quality (not loudest output). Good job by the way, you did it exactly like I would have done, except you didn't use shielded cables but if you aren't hearing any interference, then that's not a problem I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.