Helix HX-4700 Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
gsbadbmr said:
I love going out a night with a C-100 or J1 Jumbo...But Chris's new FrankenHelix....THAT's what i'm talkin' bout right there!

***BTW I never got that 4700 :lol:
Yeah, Night time Rockin' the J1 would be fun. Haven't done that yet.

There is a very specific reason I built this radio which I will explain soon enough and it IS a nighttime event that will involve my J1 and Discolite

Bummer you didn't get that 4700. I have to say, this radio has really grown on me. Once they have been gone through, they are a nice HUGE blaster, same size as the J1

goodman said:
Congrats for professional upgrade. Boombox is unique now.
Thanks Goodman :-D

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
The goal was to back light all the controls and make it look as if it was a factory design.
Well then let me tell you something right quick......You ****in nailed it.
That is truly unbelievable, Chris.
Amazing work. No more words....just drool.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Wow, was this a secret? Did I miss a thread about this project? Great work! I cant even imagine the work in doing all that. I'd love to try to do something like that some day. Turned out beautiful man.

I agree with backlighting it. Like a sleeper, factory looks, then BOOM. Awesome.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Yeah, Night time Rockin' the J1 would be fun. Haven't done that yet.

There is a very specific reason I built this radio which I will explain soon enough and it IS a nighttime event that will involve my J1 and Discolite
Any chance it could be a group video in the works, similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSJJoPmBEfU

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTo5aiyAn9g

The audio for both vids are the actual sound from the blasters, playing tapes...

Booh-Yeah!!! The duel is ON!!! Can't wait to see what you do next!! :-P :-P :-P

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Cpl-Chronic said:
Any chance it could be a group video in the works, similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSJJoPmBEfU

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTo5aiyAn9g

The audio for both vids are the actual sound from the blasters, playing tapes...

Booh-Yeah!!! The duel is ON!!! Can't wait to see what you do next!! :-P :-P :-P
I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to do another. As you know, so much work. I think I would really like to take it out at night for the "Instant Party", although your's are more of "Instant Night Club". But I would be interested in seeing peoples reaction to seeing it live.

I am already onto the next project, but something totally different.

You know, I was going to ask you, I have always thought a J1 would make for an EPIC LED upgrade. Have you ever considered doing one? With all that real estate, it would be an amazing product

-GZ- said:
Well then let me tell you something right quick......You farkin nailed it.
That is truly unbelievable, Chris.
Amazing work. No more words....just drool.
Thanks GZ, always fun to hear from everyone after a long project like this.

trippy1313 said:
Wow, was this a secret? Did I miss a thread about this project? Great work! I cant even imagine the work in doing all that. I'd love to try to do something like that some day. Turned out beautiful man.

I agree with backlighting it. Like a sleeper, factory looks, then BOOM. Awesome.
Nope, you didn't miss any threads. I didn't post about it till it was finished.

Once I get a chance I will post pictures and text of the build and how it all came about

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to do another. As you know, so much work. I think I would really like to take it out at night for the "Instant Party", although your's are more of "Instant Night Club". But I would be interested in seeing peoples reaction to seeing it live.

I am already onto the next project, but something totally different.

You know, I was going to ask you, I have always thought a J1 would make for an EPIC LED upgrade. Have you ever considered doing one? With all that real estate, it would be an amazing product
Cool.. can't wait to see your next MOD! :yes: :yes: :yes: I love the TEMP/TIME/VOLTAGE readout & the Bluetooth setup & of course the glow-wire & LEDs are right up my alley. Really nice job!....I'm still waiting for my purple glow wire kit to arrive.....you must have had that idea weeks ago waiting for everything to line up.....KUDOS again on that. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Uh, never thought about a J1 yet. I'm really craving a 975 to do.... Do they also have a 'Loudness' button as well as the 5 Band EQ? Loudness, Bass & Treble have such a PHAT Hi-Fi sound compared to EQ's they're my fav...

Cpl

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Nope, you didn't miss any threads. I didn't post about it till it was finished.

Once I get a chance I will post pictures and text of the build and how it all came about
Cool. I'd love to see how this went.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
It was a ton of work :blink: :thumbsdown:
Yup!! I know that feeling as far as hours in, risk, etc. but man, you must be stoked at the reception it got from us & how it turned out. The vid was sweet too man & of course the tune gets the Chronic seal of approval....

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Cpl-Chronic said:
Yup!! I know that feeling as far as hours in, risk, etc. but man, you must be stoked at the reception it got from us & how it turned out. The vid was sweet too man & of course the tune gets the Chronic seal of approval....
Oh yeah man, sharing the finished product with everyone is the best part :-D :yes:
I have yet to put batteries in it and go outside. I have been listening to it and turning the lights on and off and for as complicated of a build it is, it seems to be working as intended.
I had to rework my shelving for proper displaying.
For me personally, the EQ is the crowning jewel, mostly because that effect was the hardest to achieve. Followed by the push buttons on the top.
20150301_233122.jpg

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
So does it all light up and work on batteries too?
100% as I built it, it was tested throughout the process on batteries and plug.

The question is, how long will it last on batteries :lol:

I am pondering having a rechargeable battery made to power the lights if the battery life is "That Bad". I'll be testing it at some point.

How much worse could it really be? :w00t:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
JVC Floyd mentioned using 18v drill batteries which should last quite a while & you could change them out pretty quick if you use the right connectors....My LED MODs still allow the M90, 777 & M70 all to go full tilt, for about 2 hours so your additions shouldn't be an issue at all, really....I'd be surprised if there was much of a difference in battery life or power...

Cpl

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Cpl-Chronic said:
JVC Floyd mentioned using 18v drill batteries which should last quite a while & you could change them out pretty quick if you use the right connectors....
you know the first time i tried that i was expecting the shiat to go up in flames but to my suprize they didn't burn up yet . don't be like me buy a battery that matches the the stated dc input voltage of the radio, its not so much the voltage of the 18v but the amperage that kill's if you don't calculate the **** right. but anyhow my 18 volt boxes are also 12 volt boxes depending on which battery i use because i have like 10 of em' and 2 rapid chargers. my boxes could never operate on d-cells unless you use 50 at once mind you these are boxes i write off before build em so whatever happens **** it lol.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Cpl-Chronic said:
JVC Floyd mentioned using 18v drill batteries which should last quite a while & you could change them out pretty quick if you use the right connectors....My LED MODs still allow the M90, 777 & M70 all to go full tilt, for about 2 hours so your additions shouldn't be an issue at all, really....I'd be surprised if there was much of a difference in battery life or power...

Cpl
That's good to know. I didn't think LED's would be that big of a draw

Cpl-Chronic said:
Ha-Ha!! My glow-wire kit finally came in today....hmmmm....

Cpl
there you go

JVC Floyd said:
you know the first time i tried that i was expecting the shiat to go up in flames but to my suprize they didn't burn up yet . don't be like me buy a battery that matches the the stated dc input voltage of the radio, its not so much the voltage of the 18v but the amperage that kill's if you don't calculate the shiat right. but anyhow my 18 volt boxes are also 12 volt boxes depending on which battery i use because i have like 10 of em' and 2 rapid chargers. my boxes could never operate on d-cells unless you use 50 at once mind you these are boxes i write off before build em so whatever happens fark it lol.
Gotcha, ok, well this is running on 10 D's just like from the factory, I just set up a 2nd circuit with fuse for the lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.