Found this in the trash! - where to get ned belts for it? Pioneer SK 909f

testacorsa

Oct 8, 2021
Denmark
Hi all.

I'm new to this forum, but very happy to see such a forum exists.
I've been fascinated with boomboxes since I was a child, and owned a Philips D8778 when I was a young teen (saved and bought it new myself :) )

I miss the look of it, and the feeling it gave me, so I have started collecting old radioes, and got two Panasonics so far (GX300 and a RS462AS)
I haven't got a real boombox again though, until yesterday when my prayers were answered, and I found this beauty in the trash !

20211009_110708.jpg

I found it at the local recycling center, where it's not really allowed to take things out, but I just could not let this get crushed, son I decided to "recue" it.
It is in very good condition, and only has a few marks on it, which I think was caused by it being thrown in the pile of old electronics scrap.
It is beyond me, why anyone would throw this away, but it's not the first time I´ve found golden trash;
At the same recycling center, I once found a PLAYING dab+ radio, and on the street by my apartment, I found Mocca Master, which still brews my coffee every morning.

Anyways, I'm over the moon as you can imagine, and can't believe my luck. Once I had made a power chord (I adapted a figure eight cable), it just turned on and pampered my ears with the richest sound, as soon as I tuned in on the first FM station. Wow.

I think it has been in a smoker home, as it had a thin layer of yellow-brownish varnish all over, but it doesn't smell, so I'm not sure.
It cleaned up fine, with a bit of elbow grease, a fine microfiber cloth, and some window/all purpose spray. I had to use a bit of white spirits as well to clean off some writing
with a marker (button text translated to Danish)

244522674_375259230925637_2842837674061099745_n.jpg

I suspect this was owned by an elderly person, that maybe passed away. Thanks to who ever owned this - I will take very good care of it!

Tapes play and sound fine, but fast forward and rewind doesn't work, and therefore not the fancy functions either (one side/one song repeat, and the auto seek buttons).
I can hear the motors though, so I'm guessing it just needs new belts. I have read that it's not an easy task, but it has to be done.
So the question is: where to get new belts??

I found these on Ebay, but the seller has so much bad feedback, so I would prefer to get them some where else, preferably in Europe, as import charges from outside EU are
silly high now.

Any help to get this back to fully working condition, will be very appreciated; Dissembly tips, repair manual, general info, everything really.

Thanks for reading :)

20211009_110732.jpg
20211009_110739.jpg

20211009_110756.jpg20211009_110748.jpg
20211009_110802.jpg
20211009_110816.jpg

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
You hit Gold ! this is a great find :)
I am quite suire that if you search the forums you will be able to bring back
this Beautiful machine back to its previous Glory .

Reactions: testacorsa

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
That’s a magnificent find. In this man‘s opinion i think this is one of the best one piece boomboxes ever produced in its era.
4.5 inch speakers but with massive magnets and a btl amp. A real high quality boombox.
I can’t remember what the belt sizes are but if you download the service manuals in the library section it will tell you.

Your model is probably an SK-909 (4 band) but I would recommend downloading the SK-900 one (2 band) as it’s a clear copy and has good instructions on how to disassemble. There are over 30 screws to remove but the diagram is decent.

A great find!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
awesome I think finding one of these in the trash is the kind of day all of us wish we had. I was visiting my best friend recently and I was taking the trash out for him and I go out to the trash cans and there's a f****** Boombox sticking out that I gave him a long time ago I'm like what the f*** is this thing doing in the trash and so I took it out of the trash and brought it back home. it turns out his sister had thrown it away thinking it was garbage. I told him finders keepers losers weepers lol.

Last edited:

testacorsa

Oct 8, 2021
Denmark
Thanks a lot for all your nice replies :beer2:

@Hisrudeness.
Thanks for pointing me to the library section. I'm very grateful to have a service manual already.
I really have to study the tape mechanism, but it doesn't look too bad, to take it apart. Mine is a Sk-909f btw
@JVC Floyd. Finders keepers indeed. :agree:

Are these supposed to have backlight for the meters and the tuner? I didn't spot any bulbs in the schematics in the SK900 service manual,
but I've seen pictures of ones with backlight, but that could have been custom jobs?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yeh you definitely need the manual to strip this down as there are a lot of screws holding it together and not all of them are obvious. One of the harder ones to work on. But we’ll worth the effort