CFD-565

Mike Dragneff

Oct 24, 2022
Weeki-Wachee, Fl.
I just pulled my CFD-565 from the attic. Its been up there for many years. It was absolutely filthy and all I've done so far was clean it up a little so I don't catch some disease while working on it! The radio works great. I plugged in a BT receiver through the mixing mic port on the back and it works, a little static, but it worked! The CD player doesn't work and neither do the cassettes. I just found and downloaded the service manual and will crack it open to see if I can repair it. I already tried to test the CD by holding in the switch with a screwdriver and turning it on. The drive motor doesn't spin but the laser assembly does move as though its trying to locate a disc. I do not see any laser light however and I'm not sure if it is functioning. Does the motor spin immediately, or will it only spin if the laser has detected a disc? Once I crack it open I will see what is going on with the cassette deck. Neither side moves at all. I'm not sure if its bad belts or motors.
Oddly I don't recall this ever having a remote with it yet the service manual clearly shows one. 20221020_200106.jpg
Any tips, hints or suggestions are welcome as I'm very new at this.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike Dragneff

Oct 24, 2022
Weeki-Wachee, Fl.
Hi Floyd, thanks for the suggestion. That's the first thing I tried, but no luck.
Using my camera I found there is activity from the laser and the mechanism does move attempting to find a disc. I then changed my focus to the spindle motor since the disc will not spin. The motor appears to move freely and after removal I sprayed a little contact cleaner into the motor and spun it around trying to ensure it had as good coverage I would without opening it. That done I tested it by connecting a battery and sure enough it spun unhindered.
I then put everything back together popped in a clean disc (a disc that play perfectly in another player) and same problem. Disc will not spin at all.

So now I'm wondering if there is a problem with the control board?

Attachments

Mike Dragneff

Oct 24, 2022
Weeki-Wachee, Fl.
Update:
Today I checked the pc board for issues (bad caps etc.) and found none. Did a little cleaning on the speakers and wanted to check to make sure they still worked ok and to my amazement a CD began to spin! It still did not read the disc (I am using a clean known working disc not homemade), but it looked like it wasnt spinning as fast as it should. After several tries it stopped altogether again. After repeated attempts it stopped spinning again. Spindle motor?
Thanks for any advice.

Mike Dragneff

Oct 24, 2022
Weeki-Wachee, Fl.
I have been working on this off and on and got the cassette decks working! Cleaned them up and replaced the belts. Lubed the motor and used some white lithium grease on the mechanical parts and am pleased with the results. I have also acquired a working remote and the system is now sounding and looking great. The CD player is still causing me problems. I replaced the mechanism with a KSM-213c (original was a KSM-213BAN)and I still have no functioning from the new spindle motor! The new laser pick up moves as it should but the dang spindle won't spin! I'm thinking I may have a logic board issue. Any thoughts?
20230623_153231.jpg