Boombox restoration for dummies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewnow

Member (SA)
Feb 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure they haven't published a Dummies guide yet.

Can anyone recommend a good, simple guide to getting started? Some general dos and don'ts, perhaps... and a good, easy-to-use general reference guide?

I'm getting ready to start work on my first boombox project and I need all the help I can get.

My level of Electronics knowledge: I can work an on/off switch. Mostly. And I am aware that metal conducts electricity.

Thanks in advance!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Take photos as you disassemble
Keep all the screws separate and label where they came from if necessary
Take photos
Clean stuff
Use contact cleaner
Take photos
Clean heads
Give casing a bubble bath
Repaint the speakers with acrylic artists paint and a wide soft brush
Respray the grills
Oh and did I mention take photos!...this tip has saved me from disaster many times
:-)

Reactions: DonW

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
Northerner said:
Take photos as you disassemble
Keep all the screws separate and label where they came from if necessary
Take photos
Clean stuff
Use contact cleaner
Take photos
Clean heads
Give casing a bubble bath
Repaint the speakers with acrylic artists paint and a wide soft brush
Respray the grills
Oh and did I mention take photos!...this tip has saved me from disaster many times
:-)
Did everything and more than this and still my Panasonic´s FM went bad, so from now on i´ll bath the front base or back case, depends on how it´s accessible. I myself use cleaning wipes when box is just little dusty and some smudge here and there. Grill respray, hmm, do you spray it right on to the old paint ?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
toshik said:
Is speakers repainting mandatory?
I'd rather concentrate on more important things such as belts and dry electrolytics :-)
Obviously nothing is mandatory but they can be faded or stained and it's nice to get it looking like new. I always rebelt too

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
crazygamer said:
Did everything and more than this and still my Panasonic´s FM went bad, so from now on i´ll bath the front base or back case, depends on how it´s accessible. I myself use cleaning wipes when box is just little dusty and some smudge here and there. Grill respray, hmm, do you spray it right on to the old paint ?
What I did when painting grills:

Remove grills.

Now is the time to carry out any repairs, reshaping, straightening of lugs etc..

Wipe/stiff brush away rust/loose material.

Use a fine abrasive material on grills to 'key' all the surfaces.

Treat any remaining rust.

Spray with suitable primer - rear/inside first then the front once rear is dry.

Spray enough coats of paint to cover effectively - rear/inside first then the front once rear is dry (pay particular attention to ALL edges.

Spray enough coats of protective Lacquer to cover effectively - rear/inside first then the front once rear is dry.

Also:
Decide on paint and/or Lacquer finish: gloss, silk, matt.
Don't rush, take your time!
Spray each layer from a different direction ensuring 'grill holes' edges are covered.
Use old, lint free & dust free clean sheets, curtains etc. to protect the surround areas.

This has worked very well for me.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Whatever you do please don't try to clean the radio circuit area. Some components are covered with molten wax and don't clean them off. One must be careful not to tamper with PC boards and electronic components on it unless you know what yo are doing.

Andrewnow

Member (SA)
Feb 28, 2016
Great, that's a good start!

What Tools / materials should I have?

Somebody with time on their hands really should put together a comprehensive starter's guide. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.