Aiwa TPR-990H

Status
Not open for further replies.

muto

Member (SA)
Mar 13, 2010
Finland
My 990 also had dead left channel. After many hours of investigating i found one dead Dolby ic. For some reason all audio goes thru that chip! Bought a new chip and it's been working for many months now.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Superduper said:
docs said:
I'll keep trying with it. I have noticed that when on radio and recording to get full audio out of both channels that neither vu meter move now.
To me, that's even further proof that the switch contacts are buggy.
I tested from line-in and the right vu moves so i think that may have been how I had tested it last night. Probably bad information from me. Sorry.

muto said:
My 990 also had dead left channel. After many hours of investigating i found one dead Dolby ic. For some reason all audio goes thru that chip! Bought a new chip and it's been working for many months now.
Was yours totally dead, mine has some sound just very quiet and distorted.

Is there a way I can test if it is the dolby chip? I do get some quirky noise when the dolby is on which is different to when its off.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Just purchased the TPR-990K service manual for further analysis.
I'm wondering if i'll be able to use it to isolate this issue. Failing that I guess I will have to test my soldering skills and try and take out the function switch to clean properly.
Think i'm gonna need some of that expert help though again Norm.

Superduper

Member (SA)
If you want to isolate and be absolutely certain whether the issue is related to those switches before moving on -- then.......

(1) find and bridge all the poles on the function and R/P switches where the audio circuitry runs through. With those locations bridged, then it should work clearly. Might be hard to bridge all of them with probes so you might have to solder temporary jumpers. It won't be easy to identify them all, but it's possible.
(2) Or, use your signal tracer or audio injector and trace like you did before.

saxonman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2010
Iceni tribe the UK
doc is this that the really nice one of ebay which sold a couple of weeks ago??? because if it is what a bargain if ya get it going lovely nick!!! good luck with ya repair! i was going to go for it but after reading your problems I think it would of been too much for me and been put in my "to do" shelf!!

muto

Member (SA)
Mar 13, 2010
Finland
docs said:
Superduper said:
docs said:
Was yours totally dead, mine has some sound just very quiet and distorted.

Is there a way I can test if it is the dolby chip? I do get some quirky noise when the dolby is on which is different to when its off.
I think you have to check it with oscilloscope. If i remember correctly it was totally dead. I'm not sure how i tested it. The signal was routed through integrated amplifier of the dolby chip. Signal was going in but got no output. Then i compared to other channel and it was easy to see how it should work.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks to a sterling effort from Norm and countless hours scratching heads it was indeed the dolby IC for the left channel.
I bought some cheap and replaced it this morning and the left channel is now working as it should.
Although this box is a nightmare not just in terms of layout but in terms of how complicated the audio signal paths are this is a worthy box to fix.
It sounds great, looks great and is up there in terms of quality.
I'll be posting some pics in the collections thread soon.

Thanks again Norm for all of your help, I couldn't have done it without you, and muto for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.