A/C power cord question

Pillarphobia

Nov 21, 2020
USA
Greetings. I recently found a JVC RC-M90 by the dumpster. It works on batteries and just needs cleaning, but doesn't have an US 110v a/c cord. I have tried searching for a subsitute, but I don't want ruin it doing something stupid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pillarphobia

Nov 21, 2020
USA
Thanks for the quick reply! I can't believe it's that easy. I see the selector is set to US voltage. Is there anything else you think I should check before plugging it in?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the quick reply! I can't believe it's that easy. I see the selector is set to US voltage. Is there anything else you think I should check before plugging it in?
It worked on batteries right?
Any moisture content from sitting outside might have all dried up by this time.
Once it is set to 120V, it should be good to go. I can't think of anything else.

Hajidub

Member (SA)
May 16, 2018
Colorado Springs
Actually when my brother lived in an apartment complex that housed college kids he found all types of good stereo stuff. They'd dump it instead of packing it up and taking it home. That was Denver.

cakeman

Aug 28, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
Gah, Ive seen photos on other stereo / audio groups of their dumpster finds and Im just stunned sometimes what people throw out..

I shouldnt be though.. my friend helped out a young guy who was starting a 'junk removal' business by lending him some space on the property to park his trucks and bins overnight etc. In just a couple years, the kid went from 1 pickup truck to 3-4 bin trucks, a couple trailers, multiple bins and 4 or 5 employees. The stories he has of people just opening a garage door and saying "take it all." Personally any time Im near I poke my head over into his metal scrap bin and have found computers, weight lifting equipment, newer audio/video gear, game systems.. heck, quality toolboxes with tools in still. Ive got a big industrial construction heater to do a quick refurb and test on that'll sell for good money.. Just a waste.

cakes..

Pillarphobia

Nov 21, 2020
USA
Thanks again to everyone for your attention. BoomboxLover48/Royce was dead on; I got the cord yesterday, and it works correctly on mains.

I had no idea what I had when I picked it up, only recognizing it as similar to the old boomboxes I grew up around (I was born in very early 1971). Only once I googled it did I realize what this really was. Techmoan's video was even more elucidating.

It is so superior to the one I had around 1984. It is booming at 45% volume! Even the programmable reverse/ffw works.