Brought this home from Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
For the trip to the Dessau meet, I did not take my Lasonic TRC-920. I was at odds with myself about taking it all the way up to 30 minutes before walking out of the house, but decided not to take it. The reason is, I had bought a radio off of eBay.de and it had already been shipped to Max's house and was awaiting me to bring it home. My options were, bring the Lasonic TRC-920 in my flight case and package up the new radio and "Check it" at the air port or leave the 920 at home, bring the flight case empty and fly the new radio home safely. I opted for the later.

The flight case has been getting some mileage on it, but so far, it's holding up.
DSCN1620.jpg

The Shock Watch is still intact after two trips now.
DSCN1621.jpg

The locks are also doing their job keeping people out!
DSCN1622.jpgDSCN1623.jpgDSCN1624.jpg

So what did I bring back?

A beautiful PALLADIUM, in Black...
DSCN1625.jpgDSCN1626.jpgDSCN1627.jpgDSCN1628.jpgDSCN1629.jpgDSCN1630.jpgDSCN1631.jpgDSCN1632.jpgDSCN1633.jpgDSCN1634.jpgDSCN1635.jpgDSCN1636.jpgDSCN1637.jpgDSCN1638.jpgDSCN1639.jpgDSCN1640.jpgDSCN1641.jpg

This particular radio is a survivor, un-restored. She will need a full cleaning and rebelt, but the deck does work very well, but did slow a little after some time playing. The sound quality of the deck was still very good.

This is a model I have been after for a very long time. Ever since I saw and analyzed the Radio Heir super stack photos and saw this multi-button radio, I new I just loved the design. Last year when I acquired a Clairtone 7979 I knew I needed more radio's that featured the analogue tuner presets. This also features the "Sensor Tuning". Basically, when you are set to tuner and you touch the tuning knob the VU meters become tuning strength indicators and when you let go, they go back to VU meters. The 7979 also has that feature and I love it!

It has a digital clock with a light as well as a tuning light that you can leave on.

The most impressive part of this radio is the solid bass. It's not boomy, but has more of a low THUMP. Anything below half volume allows you to use the Loudness button and it hits. Above half is when this thing takes off, plenty of Bass and Treble adjustment is on tap and I found myself needing to dial back the treble as there was so much crisp clear treble to be had.

I would put the condition in a solid 8.5 with the only issues being minor cosmetic. The sound is fantastic and way better that I would think for it's size. The speakers look to be around 5", but it's sounds better than many radios with 6" speakers.

On the down side, there is no REAL RCA line in, but once rebelted, I can see this being a real cassette go to power house.

IMG_20170821_143231.jpg

To me, the aluminum on black just does it for me.

IMG_20170821_143831.jpg

Thank you to Max for helping me with this deal by letting it be safely delivered to his house!

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Wonderful score! That's one of my black beauties, possibly the best model ever produced by Palladium -- although this unit has many akas. l am in love with the manual tuner presets, the slightly asymmetrical position of the tape door, the huge chrome dustcups of the woofers & the plethora of chrome buttons everywhere. And the sound! Bassy & powerful, and yet clear enough to enjoy all genres of music. A lovely addition to any collection :-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
That machine has all the right curves in all the right places. The black with alm trims is really beautiful. Nice grab.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Chris those two DIN inputs on the side work just like Line In. Play around to see which one sounds the best to you. On mine the Rec/PB sounds better but won't light up all the LED's. The Phono input will light up all the LEDs, but requires you to lower the volume on your device by more than half.

Palladium 494-550 ghettoblaster.jpg

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
That's a beautiful radio, I always loved the looks of that model.

Rock on man , awesome score !.
Thank you Floyd, love the way this one looks too. :yes:

samovar said:
Wonderful score! That's one of my black beauties, possibly the best model ever produced by Palladium -- although this unit has many akas. l am in love with the manual tuner presets, the slightly asymmetrical position of the tape door, the huge chrome dustcups of the woofers & the plethora of chrome buttons everywhere. And the sound! Bassy & powerful, and yet clear enough to enjoy all genres of music. A lovely addition to any collection :-)
Your spot on with the bass, plenty of both bass and treble. And those dust caps :drool: Make the speakers look bigger than they are.

docs said:
Yes lovely looking unit, congrats!!
Thanks Docs! :-D

blu_fuz said:
That machine has all the right curves in all the right places. The black with alm trims is really beautiful. Nice grab.
I totally agree, very please to the eyes. Lots of all the things I like

Reli said:
Chris those two DIN inputs on the side work just like Line In. Play around to see which one sounds the best to you. On mine the Rec/PB sounds better but won't light up all the LED's. The Phono input will light up all the LEDs, but requires you to lower the volume on your device by more than half.

Palladium 494-550 ghettoblaster.jpg
I have a DIN to RCA plug that came with my 9191, but I never got it to work correctly. Would that work?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
baddboybill said:
Love it and the color is amazing in black!!!
im_alan_partridge said:
Very nice :yes:
Thank you guy!

Reli said:
I will have a look at these, thanks man

Had to do some watering in the yard!

She sounds fantastic outside.

IMG_20170821_165702.jpgIMG_20170821_165807.jpgIMG_20170821_165949.jpgIMG_20170821_170959.jpg

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I like the confident look of this BB, it's a pretty smart looking machine which the colour scheme exemplifies. I's still pleasantly surprised at just how many decent looking BB's remain in such good condition after all these years. :yes:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Hey Relli, are the speaker caps on your example smaller?
It looks like it. I've seen 2 or 3 different caps on these. My Stag RR-1048 seems to have the same caps Chris has.

Stag RR-1048 ghettoblaster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.