It's BEAUTIFUL -- better than I had hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
For a week, I was imagining in my head what the results would look like. Oh, I had an idea, but you just never know. Today, I finally put it together (the case anyway) and all I can say is that I am very pleased at the results -- it exceeded my expectations. Before I get a flurry of questions asking about the masking tape on the side and why it has no buttons for the cassette, it's because the case is empty. This is gonna be it for awhile as I have decided to go ahead and recap this box and develop a tuner dial light solution. I feel that those two things is necessary to make this box fully worthy of it's new attire. Hope this inspires a bunch of other such customizations and boombox hotrodding!

What you are looking at: The case, as you saw it before, except the trim was reinstalled. Well, not quite. First, I rubbed out the front until my fingers ached. Actually, rubbed it until the silver was showing again but it was smooth as glass. So, remasked to shoot another coat of paint. This time, I learned from my first mistake and waited longer before applying the clear coat. Voila, orange peel was not as prevalent. It's not smooth as glass but this time, the finish is much more even and that, I can live with. I also discovered that rubbing out the paint can lead to smooth as glass finish but this isn't a huge flat panel. Too many nooks/crannies that can't be worked leading the smooth areas to make the not-as-smooth areas to look crappy. During the repainting, there was also some drama in that the case toppled over and fell 3 feet to the concrete driveway while it had a wet coat of paint. I won't bore you with what it took to get it back to where it is now so let's just say it happended and it survived with some help (work). Also, the back cover was repainted since the original naked grey just didn't cut it when paired with the more flashy redcoat. I chose graphite charcoal and I think it goes pretty well. Also, you may notice that the top panel looks brighter than normal. It's not your eyes playing tricks -- I flashed it with a very light coating of silver metallic, armed with the knowledge that silver is hard to cover. It works! The graphics is still visible underneath, although the text is not as sharp as before but I can live with that. It was clearcoated afterwards. The top was reluctantly worked on because it was NOT in great condition since the previous owner decided to gouge the slider recesses with a screwdriver. For what reason, I don't know. Still not perfect but I think I can live with it! Enjoy. The final product won't be posted for awhile.

DID I SAY I'M VERY VERY HAPPY ABOUT HOW THIS HAS TURNED OUT? AND NO, IRA, I WILL NOT SHOOT THIS A DARKER RED, NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY! :-D

Superduper

Member (SA)
Oh, by the way, I repainted the grills. You can see that it's shinier than before now. How I did it:

Took a paper towell and split it into 3 sections. Took each section and spun it into a thin rope. From the backside, I worked the rope into the gap with a pointed tool to force it in between the grill and the inside beveled silver edge. I then taped the rope in place tightly to prevent it from shifting and exposing the covered area. It took a bit of work but it worked!

Superduper

Member (SA)
I know that Bryan. This type of thing is not for everyone but there is only 1 thing in life that matters and it's to be happy. Seeing the results of this really put a smile to my face and to me, that is all that matters. I mean, the M70 isn't exactly common as flies, but it IS pretty common so this mod, in my opinion, is perfectly acceptable. Perhaps I'm wrong but somehow, I don't think this modification will hurt this particular specimens value at all.

Well, come to think of it, the euphoria that results from seeing something like this come together is like dope, and why I keep doing it over and over again -- working on them, that is. Otherwise, if I get nothing out of this, then all motivation will be gone and then what's left? Like I said in another thread, THIS is why I do THIS.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
it did come out better than anyone expected :yes:
(although a hair darker red would ........) :-D

in your fourth shot (from the top)
the speaker rings look they have a gold tint :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

a maroon and gold box would be cats ass.
i will make one - soon

thanks , norm for the inspiration

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Norm-That is cool! I like the red color!
I liked the blue best but this really turmed out nice.
Good job-GB. :-) :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Ghettoboom767 said:
Hi Norm-That is cool! I like the red color!
I liked the blue best but this really turmed out nice.
Good job-GB. :-) :yes:
Unfortunately, I could only do one color and it was sooo hard to choose. However, I like the results so much that if I get more of these, I'm going to paint one every color but GB, the next one's gonna be copper, then maybe blue.

You know, everytime I walk by it, I just can't help looking at it. It's just like seeing Giselle Bunchen stroll (or strut) by while you're waiting for a bus -- you just can't NOT stare. Woohoo! Taking a quote from Alf, "Im so pumped!"

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Superduper said:
To some it may be blasphemy so it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. However, for me, it's like the best one on the planet right now.
Pad yourself on your back.

This may be one of best mods so far.

You and Frank have created some real cool mods. :yes:

Oh let me not forget JVC Floyd he's got some funky ass monster garage creations too! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.