VZ-2500 won't play records after rebelting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Hello,
So I got to work on my VZ-2500 today.
After getting the belts and a new stylus I successfully replaced both turntables belts with some effort. Right after that I tried it and as soon as I'd shut the door the B-needle started to move and played for 10 sec or so, albeit a bit slow. I was very happy. Then I set about changing needle A with one I bought. After I replaced it I tried again but nothing. Needles don't move, motors don't spin, but the buttons (computer work) when you change modes etc. I removed the needle again but it still won't move. Anyone got any ideas ? It's not the safety switch underneath, the turntable is steady and the record is the same as when it worked.. I tried unplugging it and plugging the turntables wires but it didn't help, cleaned the contacts as well.

I hope the cassette deck is easier..

Peace

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
No worries!
There is a leaf switch beside the main belt motor. It is near the gear mechanism close to the motor.
That is the one activates the whole mechanism.
If the switch is broken or misaligned it stops the whole mechanism.
Let me look for pics. I should have it.

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
BoomboxLover48 said:
No worries!
There is a leaf switch beside the main belt motor. It is near the gear mechanism close to the motor.
That is the one activates the whole mechanism.
If the switch is broken or misaligned it stops the whole mechanism.
Let me look for pics. I should have it.
Any progress :-) ?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
From what I can remember there is a leaf contact near to the gear mechanism that drived the stylus arm and plat stop functions. If that contact is out of alignment platter won't turn on. Please check that. The small motor belt slipping also can affect it.

My VZ2000 is hard to get out and take pics. I had a pic from VZ3500 showing the gear assembly. Please check it where the arrow is pointing. Sometimes you have to manually turn the small motor driven wheel on one direction only to activate the leaf switch contact.

Attachments

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Hey guys,
I checked that part but I couldn't find any leaf switch at all :blink: ?
And thanks Fatdog, I have the manual already. It is not very helpful if you don't know what's wrong..
Anyone else had similar problems ?

Peace

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Please post pictures of the gear assembly near the tone arm advance motor (small motor). The leaf switch should be near it.
On VZ2000 any misalignment or malfunction of it will make nothing work on the record player side.

I don't have a VZ2500, so it could be slightly different. :yes:

m40dotcom

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2011
Minneapolis
www.m40.com
I've seen one just flat out not play because that little contact that is made when the door is closed, was broke or just not making the contact as needed. So that killed any turntable action. That's all I can think of as it seems you have everything turntable wise just being killed.

Tell me if you need any pics of it as I have a few turntable sections out right now and can get any angle needed. I only have 2000's but I believe they are the same turntable setups. About to dig into another one I just got a few days ago. Hoping it's just needing a belt replacement.

And I hate to say it, but I've always felt the cassette deck was harder to work on these as you gotta take apart the entire thing, not just the turntable portion for turntable belts.

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Hey.

Here are two pictures of the part your picture showed BoomBoxlover48.
I'm not sure where this switch is.. ?

m40dotcom I checked the door switch and it seems fine..
Cassette deck wasn't too bad but is running a bit slow.

SAM_2265.JPG

SAM_2275.JPG

m40dotcom I checked the door switch and it seems fine..
Cassette deck wasn't too bad but is running a bit slow.

Peace

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Has someone had a go at restringing the arm cord on this? Just it appears a little slack at one end of its travel and that would suggest that it's not strung correctly since at either end of a side, the spring at the end of that cord should be just under tension. Slack as it is, the arm won't be able to travel all the way across a side and possibly that slack is what's causing it to fail. I only ever got in about at one of these and that was over 25 years back but I'm recalling something about the cord tension being critical to the small matter of being able to start the mechanism.

This PDF should explain how many turns in each direction the cord needs and how much tension should be measurable at each spring when the cord comes to an end in one direction.

Edited: Looking at the photo showing the cord with slack in one run, that means that the other end must be overstressed as it's stopped because the travel ran out and not because the slot in that pulley activated the mechanism as it should, you want that spring under an equal amount of tension at each end of the arm's run. It shouldn't require a spring balance to set it, not if that slot in the pulley can reach far enough to engage with the microswitch seen inboard of it in that image.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is the micro switch I am talking about. The black gear wheel with the steel cord has a projection that activates the microswitch on the PC board.

Like John mentioned there is a slack in the steel cord. It looks like it is missing one turn on one of drive pulleys. That is all it takes for the slack. The spring should open up a little to accomodate that tension.

A little help with hands to turn the black gear wheel (drum) will start up the drive, but DON'T DO IT without adjusting the slack on the cable.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
give me a few days and i'll unpack mine for some pics of the string on the pulley , i also need a pic of some wires on mine that i have no idea where they go so we maybe can help each other.i;ll see if i can take a pic of the leaf switch on mine if it's still there.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I feel so sad! This is a simple problem to fix.

I wish I had time to open up my VZ2000, VZ3500 and another VZ2000 that is on a high shelf.
I am so busy these days with work related travel and taking care of my puppy.
Let me see if I can find time to take some pics.

I will send a PM to you spacelobster.

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
OK,
I will ask some more stupid questions before attempting anything, because by now I've understood I know NOTHING about how this works. I'm just amazed it doesn't explode :w00t: when you turn it on and that I actually got the cassette working-ish. Beosystem10 I love how you linked me to 26 pages of partly hieroglyphic-like schematics and incredibly detailed assembly instructions that I couldn't understand what so ever. Did you mean to link a certain page in there or... ? I did get most of what you said though, thanks.

So this switch is it the kind of gate-like thing on top of the wheel with the wire or is it this white clutch on the side ? Both of them will be affected by the turning of the wheel, but I assumed they were for stopping when the needle was finished or so.. How exactly does it work ? Do I just turn the white wheel connected to the motor with a belt to tensions the cord ? sometimes when I do that motor starts running and doesn't stop until I cut the power.. And where is this pulley you speak of Boomboxlover 48 :blink: ?
And JVC-floyd I would LOVE some photos, I'll be glad to provide you with some as well :thumbsup: !

Honestly, I just want to fix it, sell it and never buy another one again. I'm sorry, but you can't even play records while walking !? So I'm supposed to walk down the street NOT jamming and only jam when I get tired of carry the darn thing :lol: and put it down ?

Peace

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
:hmmm: OK, the
gate-like thing on top of the wheel
is what activates the switch as that notch in the wheel passes between its two parts. Tensioning the cord is achieved by winding part of it in one direction and part of it in the other so that, when the cord is tensioned correctly, the spring attached to the hub of that pulley is neither slack nor at full stretch at either end of the arm's travel. This tolerance would allow the pulley to rotate far enough for the microswitch to make and the mechanism to start, it's all incredibly clever yet - like most of the greatest ideas - very straightforward mechanical action that keeps the whole thing running as it should, the actual electronics in the record player are minimal and likely not to cause trouble so the only part of that PDF to which I linked that is relevant here would be stringing diagram for that cord and my apologies for neglecting to single out the specific pages that show how to do this, I'll look at the document again when I next get the time and will put the relevant page up in an image window for your perusal. Trust me, when you look at it it will click with you sooner or later, more likely sooner and anyone capable of basic assembly tasks can do this stuff.
:yes: :thumbsup:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
hey man , your leaf switch is in the wrong position , its cocked to the left of the cog on the tensioner pulley , you have to manually turn the geared shaft by hand while holding the switch lever in so that it don't bind up while you turn the wheel,once the leaf switch arm rides on the cog and seats on the right side of the cog wheel then its in the right position.this is the wrong postion that you have going on .

Status
Not open for further replies.