PRE-Ebay intercept of local boomers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Checking local ebay listings to find a seller had a few on ebay. Asked if we could meet up to deal in person, he said sure I have a few more I am going to list like a Helix 4635, JVC M70, etc.....

Whoa! What? Really?!?!

He had about 15 boomboxes!

Sad part is that he was selling them for his friend that passed away. Apparently the guy who passed was a member here!?!

He has more boomboxes and I said I would put a good word in for him on boomboxery. Ill get a list to share with you guys and post his screen name.

Ebay screen name is legirls and his name is George. He is a nice guy to deal with. Ebay profile: http://myworld.ebay.com/legirls?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1181

I couldn't buy them all, but I did come home with these:

0418132110.jpg
0418132112.jpg
0418132112a.jpg
0418132113.jpg

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Blu...I'd be the last guy to say how or what one should do in such situations, but...

Those are some pricey ones he had.

I'd love to know who the member was if he was a member here.

And if he was a member, maybe sell one or two and donate funds to the family.

Either way...sad. :-/ :sad:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
All the money from the sales is going to the family. He is helping them out by selling all the vintage electronics that guy had. Massive 15" speaker systems, high dollar 909 silver reel-to-reels, boomboxes, pioneer metal faced vintage component systems.

He knows the low and high values of the stuff he has and I paid a fair/decent amount for these in their condition, and my 'donation' got him about 1/2 of what he wanted for all the boomboxes.

I will find out the members name again and make sure we/boomboxery give him a proper send-off. Very sad.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yes sir, was about 1 hour from me :D. Justcruisin, where do you live?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
blu_fuz said:
Yes sir, was about 1 hour from me :D. Justcruisin, where do you live?
North Iowa..map said it woulda been 5 hour drive for me and 1 hour from Fox Lake.. was gonna let u know, but seems u already did!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
George didn't say what happened to Todd. He was pretty overwhelmed with ALL the STUFF Todd left behind that they are now trying to sell. I didn't want to poke and prod on the subject either.

They need to get a storage unit to put it all in, so maybe I can get back there and help him out by offering another chunk of $$ towards the cause and get some stuff out of his way.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This is sad but I think Todd would want us to keep our spirits happy and strong. I'm sure he was watching the entire deal go down. I got goose bumps when I saw the massive collection, maybe that was him. I know he felt the same way when he found these out in the wild.

He would be happy to see these in the hands of collectors and its even better that they stay local to their origin.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I finally tested these this morning.

Helix:
Neither cassette works.
Cassette door missing.
Mic mix knob missing.
It cranks stupid loud at 2 on the volume scale.
Cassette tray is there and in good shape.
Little corrosion on the chrome bits.
The plastic feet aren't broken on the back case :cool:.

M70:
Serious left channel issue, like little/no sound.
One antenna tip broken off.
Cassette is working.
Power switch has some issues.
Not missing any slider caps or buttons.

838:
Power switch broken off.
Cassette not working.
Dirty bifonic and source switches, makes for poor L/R sound.
No battery door.
Both antennas there.

I've got some work to do!! :D

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I didn't find out how old he was. The seller isn't responding to my messages now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.