I've disco'ed up my Philips D8444!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
OK so ever since starting to collect I've wanted to modify one but every time I got a new box I decided it was too good to mess with :nonono:

So I got two of the same box so I could keep one mint and modify the other...got a Philips D8444 as it ain't much to buy and its not the best sounding box in the world so I didn't feel too guilty messing with it :lol:

In the year I've been collecting I've done some restoration work to boxes (see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16961&hilit=smashing+sharp) so I'm not completely clueless but I've no knowledge or experience of electronics so it was a bit scary but this is the result (hope this works as not put up a video before!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNOc2V0IBI

Its all wired into the box power supply and the LEDs switch on and off with the main on/off switch, though I added a switch in the recess in the back of the box so I can switch just the lights off if the flashing induces an epileptic fit!

Hope you like it, though I'm sure the purists out there will hate it! :lol:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Top work Si, that is way cool :thumbsup:

How long did this take and would you do it again?
Cheers mate! It took me Sunday afternoon to do. It was a bit tricky as the internals all had to come out and they don't come out easy like on a Sharp GF. But I'd do it again on the right box as it was great fun and I love learning new skills :thumbsup:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Impressive work!! Is that in time to the music or just a repeating pattern?
Repeating pattern of 17 different sequences...the red and blue are on different cycles set to slightly different speeds so that the red/blue combinations constantly change :-D

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Wow! That looks so cool! Good job my friend. The two LEDs facing left and right does the real action. :yes: :thumbsup: Now that I call creativity
Thanks BBL! :thumbsup:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Very Sweeeeeet!!!

I rally like the way you embedded the blue LED's into the center woofer ring. It looks factory done & I bet they aren't even noticable when off unless you look closely at the holes. Real good stealth modding. I really love it. Plus, the LED chaser routines are quite good for a simple controller.

Is that the 9v controller you posted about in another thread, pictured with the battery power? I was keeping my eye out for your mod to show up. Great Job!!!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Very Sweeeeeet!!!

I rally like the way you embedded the blue LED's into the center woofer ring. It looks factory done & I bet they aren't even noticable when off unless you look closely at the holes. Real good stealth modding. I really love it. Plus, the LED chaser routines are quite good for a simple controller.

Is that the 9v controller you posted about in another thread, pictured with the battery power? I was keeping my eye out for your mod to show up. Great Job!!!
Cheers! Yeh the blues are set into the little circles and the reds are set back into the grill bit so you can't see either when they're off, you wouldn't know the mod was done. And yep they are the controllers I showed in the other thread but now powered from the box rather than the battery. Pretty pleased with it for a first attempt :-D

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Way cool broh. I really like that you used a common D8444 good call. :-D Looks great!

Belongs on the favorite boombox while inebriated thread!

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
I LOVE IT!! :w00t: :thumbsup:
But, I'm getting dizzy trying to follow the LEDs with my eyes...

Maybe, that's Northerner's evil plan. What if, after watching the leds for 5 min. you are under his mind control & he sends you commands & makes you act against your own will in a nightmare existence. MUa-hah-ahaha-ahaha haaa..*cough*

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria

Maybe, that's Northerner's evil plan. What if, after watching the leds for 5 min. you are under his mind control & he sends you commands & makes you act against your own will in a nightmare existence. MUa-hah-ahaha-ahaha haaa..*cough* :agree: :lol:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK

Maybe, that's Northerner's evil plan. What if, after watching the leds for 5 min. you are under his mind control & he sends you commands & makes you act against your own will in a nightmare existence. MUa-hah-ahaha-ahaha haaa..*cough*I'm afraid you're all already under my control...

Now send me your grails
Send me your grails
Send me your grails

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.