Not open for further replies.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
k2j said:
baddboybill said:
I still can't see lighted tuner :dunce:
I think they are animated gifs not sure why you can't see them?

It looks killer!

Thanks for viewing and for the good words.

The pictures are animated .GIFs. Do you see Reli's (first reply) VU meter dancing? If not -
Is animated .GIFs disabled in your browser? Pl. try different browsers. Or a different computer as a last try.

Reli said:
Wow, very nice job! Did you use filter paper?
I didn't get what do you mean by Filter paper. Can you pl. explain?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
AE_Stereo said:
You said that the LEDs look like incandescent bulbs, so I assumed that you installed filter paper over the LEDs to make the light softer.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Reli said:
AE_Stereo said:
You said that the LEDs look like incandescent bulbs, so I assumed that you installed filter paper over the LEDs to make the light softer.

No. I used cool white LEDs instead of the bright white (bluish) LEDs commonly available. It naturally illuminates like incandescent light.
Bluish white LEDs are not for the 80's boomboxes. I want to retain the vintage look.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
AE_Stereo said:
Reli said:
AE_Stereo said:

No. I used cool white LEDs instead of the bright white (bluish) LEDs commonly available. It naturally illuminates like incandescent light.
Bluish white LEDs are not for the 80's boomboxes. I want to retain the vintage look.
Hmm, really? I thought all LEDs had a "spotlight" effect.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Reli said:
Yeah, the backlighting is very smooth & natural. What kind of leds & masking are you using? Do you use a translucent film to spread the light evenly or does the LEDS spread the light that way? The tuner DIAL & VU's are stunning. LOVE IT!!!

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Cpl-Chronic said:
Reli said:
Yeah, the backlighting is very smooth & natural. What kind of leds & masking are you using? Do you use a translucent film to spread the light evenly or does the LEDS spread the light that way? The tuner DIAL & VU's are stunning. LOVE IT!!!
I have used chip type LED coming on strip. Only plain LEDs are used without any extra film or diffuser. But what you see is how the National engineers has designed the lighting in the RX-7000.

When I posted the same in s2g, I gave the title -
"National RX-7000 dial light - As its designer wanted it"

Just one LED, any bright LED, is enough to give that illumination all over the Radio dial, uniformly. There is an acrylic glass plate on top of the dials and the printing is done with some sort of reflective ink. When you apply a light on the edge of that glass plate, the light diffracts within the glass plate and reflect out from the fluorescent printing. If you simply replace the original bulb in RX-7000 with a powerful lamp, the same effect will come out.

The plate material must be working on the same principle of Fiber optics. Anybody has noticed, RX-7000 dial plate is fixed to form a curve, it is not straight. This is to achieve infinite reflection of light within the plate, like in fiber optics.

Many high end amps of the 80's has similar dials. I endorse, National RX-7000 is a Hi-Fi system, fitted in a boombox case, as it is said.

It was accidentally found out on suggestion from my 14 years old son. I was trying to fix the LED to illuminate the surface of the dial, when he came in and asked to try on the edge of that glass plate. And there was that mesmerizing glow on all over the dial.

I will post in detail later.

Reactions: stynger007

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
I have used chip type LED coming on strip. Only plain LEDs are used without any extra film or diffuser. But what you see is how the National engineers has designed the lighting in the RX-7000.

When I posted the same in s2g, I gave the title -
"National RX-7000 dial light - As its designer wanted it"

Just one LED, any bright LED, is enough to give that illumination all over the Radio dial, uniformly. There is an acrylic glass plate on top of the dials and the printing is done with some sort of reflective ink. When you apply a light on the edge of that glass plate, the light diffracts within the glass plate and reflect out from the fluorescent printing. If you simply replace the original bulb in RX-7000 with a powerful lamp, the same effect will come out.

The plate material must be working on the same principle of Fiber optics. Anybody has noticed, RX-7000 dial plate is fixed to form a curve, it is not straight. This is to achieve infinite reflection of light within the plate, like in fiber optics.

Many high end amps of the 80's has similar dials. I endorse, National RX-7000 is a Hi-Fi system, fitted in a boombox case, as it is said.

It was accidentally found out on suggestion from my 14 years old son. I was trying to fix the LED to illuminate the surface of the dial, when he came in and asked to try on the edge of that glass plate. And there was that mesmerizing glow on all over the dial.

I will post in detail later.[/quote]

SWEEET!!!! :drool: :drool: My GF-777Z was designed with lights in mind too. They just never fit it with too many bulbs & I used RGB controller with strips to finish the job. Yours looks so smooth, like it's backlit. you can tell they designed the dial & VU's for best effect with lighting. RGB's would POP on that panny.

Status
Not open for further replies.