You guys are gonna crap yer pants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
Boy, y'all weren't kidding when you said the sound wasn't very good. My M70 runs circles around it sound-wise. Crazy how sub-par the sound is on that thing...

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
hollyrockets said:
baddboybill said:
What's the piece of tape on deck for :huh:

Tape decks need repair, sadly. Oh well, though.
So sorry :sad: I would love to get a fully functional and clean one someday. My fiancé Jeannie had one as a teen that she bought brand new. She just gave it away to her ex's brother about 10 years ago and kicks herself in the butt now knowing I collect them :thumbsdown:

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
baddboybill said:
hollyrockets said:
baddboybill said:
What's the piece of tape on deck for :huh:

Tape decks need repair, sadly. Oh well, though.
So sorry :sad: I would love to get a fully functional and clean one someday. My fiancé Jeannie had one as a teen that she bought brand new. She just gave it away to her ex's brother about 10 years ago and kicks herself in the butt now knowing I collect them :thumbsdown:
I'm actually not that disappointed seeing I picked it up for only $200. I was really hoping all the lights would work and THEY DO! :)

And there's no major cracks in it or anything like that. So all in all I'm pretty darn happy. I'm shocked at how poor the sound is though.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
"I'm shocked at how poor the sound is though"

It shouldnt sound that bad. Not like a M70, but should still be decent. Ask super, maybe he has some ideas.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Congrats Holly, glad it showed up in one piece!

Looks pretty damn good too!

I have seen only one of these in person, but it was in rough shape. Sound wasn't the worst, but when you hold your M70 next to it, there can be no comparison.

Have fun with it!

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Wow Holly it is nice to have it finally at home. Congrats. And dont give too much attention on the sound. This is a personal disco center, not the ordinary boombox :thumbsup: . Congrats :thumbsup:

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
stormsven said:
Wow Holly it is nice to have it finally at home. Congrats. And dont give too much attention on the sound. This is a personal disco center, not the ordinary boombox :thumbsup: . Congrats :thumbsup:

There's a lot to be said for having a personal disco center. Yup. I just have the nagging feeling that I could maybe swap this for the M90... I'll give it some time...

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Excellent stuff, Holly!

The sound on a DiscoLite can be VASTLY improved by adding two things:
1, Actual tweeters. Installing actual tweeters off any box will do a 5000% better job than the useless things it currently has, the main issue with the DiscLite is it sounds so totally flat, real tweeters make a very large improvement. and 2, Lining the inside of the box with dyhna-mat or some other sound absorbing stuff. The case is very thin and this helps a great deal with get rid of the 'hollow' sound it has. But, of course, if you want to move it along, then making customisations of any description may hurt your profit margins.

You'll never get one to sound like an M70, but that's not what their about at all. But these two enhancements will take them from a 4/10 sounding box
to a 6.5-7/10 sounding one with minimal work.

The real victory is it looks like all the LED's work, those things are a living nightmare to replace, so this alone makes it a massive bargain, irregardless of the deck door issue.

The DiscoLite requires ones appreciation of fine cheese to outweigh most other passions to fully appreciate her.
There was a discussion on facebook the other week about someone wondering if trading one of their two M90s for a DiscoLite
was a good deal and quite a few people were vehemently opposed to the idea based on the DiscoLite being 'cheap crap'.
I do believe this is missing the point of them entirely however and a DiscoLite shouldn't really be ever judged on it's sound quality
as that's not what it's about. It's like saying a heavily cutomised car is rubbish because it can't go fast. It's just one of those things where
the original purpose of the object's is sacrificed for another purpose entirely. For this reason alone this radio is one of those oddities
that is a real one-off. I mean, even the NEW graphics on the deck doors is astounding. The whole package is a total work of art.
And all of us like different things about art and what can appear to be a chintzy and gaudy piece of trash to someone is a genuine
work of art to someone else. Beauty is in the eye (and ear!) of the beholder!

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Rock On.

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
Gluecifer said:
Excellent stuff, Holly!

1, Actual tweeters. Installing actual tweeters off any box will do a 5000% better job than the useless things it currently has, the main issue with the DiscLite is it sounds so totally flat, real tweeters make a very large improvement. and 2, Lining the inside of the box with dyhna-mat or some other sound absorbing stuff. The case is very thin and this helps a great deal with get rid of the 'hollow' sound it has. But, of course, if you want to move it along, then making customisations of any description may hurt your profit margins.

You'll never get one to sound like an M70, but that's not what their about at all. But these two enhancements will take them from a 4/10 sounding box

The real victory is it looks like all the LED's work, those things are a living nightmare to replace, so this alone makes it a massive bargain, irregardless of the deck door issue.

The DiscoLite requires ones appreciation of fine cheese to outweigh most other passions to fully appreciate her.
There was a discussion on facebook the other week about someone wondering if trading one of their two M90s for a DiscoLite
was a good deal and quite a few people were vehemently opposed to the idea based on the DiscoLite being 'cheap crap'.
I do believe this is missing the point of them entirely however and a DiscoLite shouldn't really be ever judged on it's sound quality
as that's not what it's about. It's like saying a heavily cutomised car is rubbish because it can't go fast. It's just one of those things where
the original purpose of the object's is sacrificed for another purpose entirely. For this reason alone this radio is one of those oddities
that is a real one-off. I mean, even the NEW graphics on the deck doors is astounding. The whole package is a total work of art.
And all of us like different things about art and what can appear to be a chintzy and gaudy piece of trash to someone is a genuine

Rock On.

Glu:

You know, I TOTALLY agree with you. I LOVE Cheesy campy stuff, in addition to being a fan of fine cheeses. I think that if I decided to trade one for the other I would someday be bitterly disappointed I let my discolite go. It seems so much more fragile than a M70 or M90 and probably sold A LOT less units total. All those things in addition to Madonna highlighting it make it extremely rare. I could definitely see those things staying high in value due to the rarity. I love the lights. Not even one is burned out. THAT is the most AMAZING thing. Now I must work on getting the tape decks fixed. I'm sure parts for these are TOTALLY non-existent.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
Way to go there Holly. Congratulations! Although many have been disappointed on the sound quality, I too would LOVE it simply for the visual effects. Very cool indeed. :cool:

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
hollyrockets said:
Gluecifer said:
Excellent stuff, Holly!

Rock On.

Glu:

You know, I TOTALLY agree with you. I LOVE Cheesy campy stuff, in addition to being a fan of fine cheeses. I think that if I decided to trade one for the other I would someday be bitterly disappointed I let my discolite go. It seems so much more fragile than a M70 or M90 and probably sold A LOT less units total. All those things in addition to Madonna highlighting it make it extremely rare. I could definitely see those things staying high in value due to the rarity. I love the lights. Not even one is burned out. THAT is the most AMAZING thing. Now I must work on getting the tape decks fixed. I'm sure parts for these are TOTALLY non-existent.
I wish i have one M90 for a trade here :-P . This is one of the kind. Yes M90 sounds good but is boring IMO. At the end we are not expecting the best sound to come from a boombox anyway :yes: .I would trade for one Discolite all my 4 massive PA active speakers in a heartbeat :yes: .

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
One thing that I look at as a collector is a nice visual display. I have over 50 bbx's and have them all displayed. A discolite would be a very cool looking bbx to have with my bunch :cool: Mostly all of mine are 100% working too but I have a few that still need parts to make them 100%. I am not able to listen to all of them because they are stacked in a way that prohibits me to do so :sad: But all of mine range from free to over $600.... So with that said mine dont all sound the same, but as a whole, the visual effect of them look great :w00t: I guess what I am trying to say is I am collecting history and even cheapos are a part of that history ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.