Yellow M90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
Superduper said:
Meters don't just fade from red to yellow with no shades in between. Also, when have you ever seem any meter all faded as commonly as you find them on M90's. Also, sure, it's possible for blue woofers to fade from blue to lighter shade of blue. But how do blue woofers fade to dark gray or black? Excuse me.... FADE.... Hellooooo?

You need to understand the M90 speaker construction which is different than other speakers. Sure all M90 speakers are blue from the backside. But JVC's own advertising states that the M90 uses new Urethane laminated cones. But only the front of the speaker cones were laminated. The backside remains paper just like on the M70. That means the front of the speaker cones have a layer of urethane attached in some way. Was this color clear or gray or black? Maybe all of the above were used. In fact I think that dark gray is far more common than blue on the M90.
...I think someone has just been taken to school... :lol:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
mellymelsr said:
I think I will take take the word and expertise of a collector like Norm over someone who just started collecting... :-D ....Norm is correct. :yes:...it also appears the strip on the radio dial is gray as well. Plus I seriously doubt the fading would be perfectly uniform unless the M90 was outside laying on its back all day... :lol:
Ha. That's what i was thinkin! Damn kids think they know it all :lol:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
mellymelsr said:
Superduper said:
Meters don't just fade from red to yellow with no shades in between. Also, when have you ever seem any meter all faded as commonly as you find them on M90's. Also, sure, it's possible for blue woofers to fade from blue to lighter shade of blue. But how do blue woofers fade to dark gray or black? Excuse me.... FADE.... Hellooooo?

You need to understand the M90 speaker construction which is different than other speakers. Sure all M90 speakers are blue from the backside. But JVC's own advertising states that the M90 uses new Urethane laminated cones. But only the front of the speaker cones were laminated. The backside remains paper just like on the M70. That means the front of the speaker cones have a layer of urethane attached in some way. Was this color clear or gray or black? Maybe all of the above were used. In fact I think that dark gray is far more common than blue on the M90.
Ha!
Its ok max...I thought I knew everything when I was 21 too :lol:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
mellymelsr said:
Superduper said:

:lol: I've audited that class a few times and found the instructor does have a very good grasp of the topic. :yes:

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Whatever, guys :D

Funny how nobody answered about bredgeo's M90 :)

I have only seen two M90s with black speakers. Either repainted or not factory.
My M90's woofers are grey too but I face it and don't betray myself into thinking it is oh-so-mint.
These units age with pride and it's ok if they fade to grey.
This yellow VU is an example of extreme fading.
It's a chemical reaction which I see on roadsigns all the time and those have not been there for 30 years.

I know I am right but it's ok if you disagree.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
mmcodomino said:

My M90's woofers are grey too but I face it and don't betray myself into thinking it is oh-so-mint.
It's a chemical reaction which I see on roadsigns all the time and those have not been there for 30 years.

Max most of us grew up in the 70's and 80's and trust me there are different variations to many boxes. There are 2 color meters. Just as different models had different amp chips used. If you look you can see there are different model numbers to as seen in these pics. Some versions used 61 watts for input and some were 70 watts for input. Don't forget these were built for all around the world and had to be done so for each country. I know mine also has 15v jack for auto plug in when most are 12v.

Just because a couple ads only showed red meters and blue speakers doesn't mean that was the only variant ;-)
Sorry for bad quality of pics...

Bad Boy Bill

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This thread got funny :lol: :yes: .

Why havn't we seen ads for M71s or M75s??? :hmmm:

Jwrok707

Member (SA)
Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I have two M-90's that have the red VU's with blue woofers. They are both equally as red with no signs of color fading as are the blue woofers, yet they came from different places with different listening environments.
The yellow M-90 that I posted a picture of in this thread earlier clearly has yellow meters with gray woofers. There is no mistaking that this looks faded. Having the three in front of me it clearly looks like JVC used 2 different colors with their M-90's!

But what do I know!!!!!

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
I dont know about m90 ( and dont care actually, dont like m 90 at all :lol: ) but the red is the color which fade from the sun most of all others,( it is at the very end of the visible spectrum ). My father ( rest in peace) was collecting watches. A lot of diver watches use red on the hour points and it is very common for them to become yellow just after a year of using outside.... It is the same with some cars instruments as well. The wired thing is that the red is fading to perfect yellow without any shades. The spectrum of the sun light and the red color are long known for that. Actually after the redish colors next one which is fading fast is the blue color . So i think if we think about basic physical laws - fading of the m90 is plausible. Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that this is the case with m90 tho.
From other side - if the grayish speakers are faded they must have some issues with the sound too. The material should be slightly thinner already too :hmmm:
And i believe that there will be a lot of not known variants of any boomer popping up around. Some can be faded, modded and so on , but some will be original. Im curious how after 30 years some dj cd player collectors will make some tread about one pair of professionally modded pioneer players of mine. Damn i payed for the mod and cant believe that the color was not factory :lol: . All those color scheme combinations is like not good stamped post marks case for me - maybe not the perfect , but rare, interesting and highly hunted .

Jwrok707

Member (SA)
Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
stormsven said:
I dont know about m90 ( and dont care actually, dont like m 90 at all :lol: ) but the red is the color which fade from the sun most of all others,( it is at the very end of the visible spectrum ). My father ( rest in peace) was collecting watches. A lot of diver watches use red on the hour points and it is very common for them to become yellow just after a year of using outside.... It is the same with some cars instruments as well. The wired thing is that the red is fading to perfect yellow without any shades. The spectrum of the sun light and the red color are long known for that. Actually after the redish colors next one which is fading fast is the blue color . So i think if we think about basic physical laws - fading of the m90 is plausible. Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that this is the case with m90 tho.
From other side - if the grayish speakers are faded they must have some issues with the sound too. The material should be slightly thinner already too :hmmm:
And i believe that there will be a lot of not known variants of any boomer popping up around. Some can be faded, modded and so on , but some will be original. Im curious how after 30 years some dj cd player collectors will make some tread about one pair of professionally modded pioneer players of mine. Damn i payed for the mod and cant believe that the color was not factory :lol: . All those color scheme combinations is like not good stamped post marks case for me - maybe not the perfect , but rare, interesting and highly hunted .
My M-90 with gray woofers has a bit more punch than my blue ones at the same level with same song!!

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Jwrok707 said:
stormsven said:
My M-90 with gray woofers has a bit more punch than my blue ones at the same level with same song!!
Actually the old speaker cones have slightly better punch from the same brand new one speakers (use to buy same PA speakers few times and that was really clear to hear at the beginning) . That will be a good point for faded speakers. But i dont think that this is the case here. Probably the gray speakers have less layers of coat from the blue speakers and thats the reason.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Jwrok707 said:
stormsven said:
Check your back plate. One may say 61watts and other 70 watts. Like I said there are two different chips used. One was Sanyo other was Panasonic I believe. ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

Jwrok707

Member (SA)
Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
baddboybill said:
Jwrok707 said:
stormsven said:
Check your back plate. One may say 61watts and other 70 watts. Like I said there are two different chips used. One was Sanyo other was Panasonic I believe. ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

Will do.................Thx BBB :thumbsup:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Im just gonna leave my minty m90 with red meters out in the sun for a few days and see if they turn yellow...that will settle this madness once and for all :lol: :lol: :lol:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
mmcodomino said:

....WRONG...if what you are saying is correct, then why have we never seen one, not even a single M70 with faded gray woofers? They have blue paper woofers with no protective coating at all. If you knew anything about how a color spectrum works blue does not fade to gray it fades to a lighter blue or else I would have tons of faded gray jeans. Try to listen and learn a little young fella... :-D

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
-GZ- said:
mellymelsr said:
I think I will take take the word and expertise of a collector like Norm over someone who just started collecting... :-D ....Norm is correct. :yes:...it also appears the strip on the radio dial is gray as well. Plus I seriously doubt the fading would be perfectly uniform unless the M90 was outside laying on its back all day... :lol:
Ha. That's what i was thinkin! Damn kids think they know it all :lol:
...that is my point exactly...sometimes children should be seen and not heard...and should definitely try to listen to those with more experience because they might learn a little something.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I suppose it's possible that M90's spend all their time basking in the sun, while M70's are all kept indoors. However, in my very limited experience, it's more plausible and likely to be the other way around.

That being said, I challenge anyone to produce one single M70 example with yellowed meters. No? Oh OK, well maybe they need to spend more time in the sun. How about just partly faded.... like orangish yellow? No?

Look, anyone that has owned a yellow metered M90 can clearly see that the meters do not look like a faded red. It's YELLOW yellow. Clearly original.

As for speakers, once again, the M90 woofers start out with blue paper cones.... just like the M70. That is where the similarity ends. The M90 woofers then are treated by laminating a layer of urethane (plastic) OVER the outside. Remove the speakers and then you will see the plastic coating. You can wipe them down with water and the water rolls right off. Cleaning them is easy because of that. However, the backside is standard paper with NO coating hence the reason they all look the same from the backside. Now, all I can tell you is that I have seen blue ones and I have seen dark gray ones, and I have seen very light blue/gray ones. I have had over a dozen M90's pass through my hands and in my opinion, there are 2 colors used in the lamination.....

(1) clear urethane which allows the blue to show through
(2) dark gray which makes the speakers look almost black when viewed through the grill.

The very light gray ones and the very light blue ones are most likely faded from the original look (as above).

As for the meters.... anyone with yellow meters who can't live with them...
I can sell you a set of RED ones. :w00t:
Open your wallets and PM PM PM!!!!! :-D :lol: :yes: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.