Yellow M90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
The meters on the RC-M105 is sooo faded you can't even see 'em. Ha.

I agree with Ira on this one. Highly doubt that "Veronica" is any kind of authority on a 35 year old classic produced from the JVC that we came to know and love. JVC of today isn't even JVC anymore. She said that their records don't indicate a "yellow" metered M90. How did she look this up? Type yellow meter M90 into the company database query? In fact, I doubt that she even knows what an M90 looks like. Highly doubt she has been working for this company before eggs were produced.

I know that when looking through my own JVC manuals database, I can't believe the sheer number of products that JVC produced in the past 3-4 decades. There is simply no way that there is any kind of definitive resource, via JVC or otherwise, of what was original 35 years ago and certainly not in the "color" of any of the products. I'll bet if we ask "Veronica" how many watts the M90 consumed, she might tell us 61 watts and that's it. But we know there are more. If we ask her how many bands is the tuner, she will probably say 8. For the most part she will be right but ask her if a 2-band version exists and I'm sure she will say no. Also, if you ask her what is the tuning range of the SW bands are, she might be.... 1/2 right. Does the M90 has FM mixing? Probably, she will say no. But we know that some exists. Also while all of the specs I mentioned above can be looked up, not one data I see anywhere, lists the "color" of anything except maybe the shell. I mean, M90 tuner dials aren't all the same color, are they? They don't even all have the same stickers, do they?

In short, I think we need to take "veronica's" statement with a grain of salt. JVC abandoned the M90 long ago. You can't even get a service manual from them anymore.

All I can say is that I've seen several examples of the yellow meters and they do look "original" to me, not faded. Also I have seen yellow meters with dark like new woofers. Then I have seen M90's with ferrari red meters but faded woofers. Common sense dictates that these combinations just doesn't reconcile. ML's M90 looks minty fresh and the speakers clearly are unfaded. Are we going to now say that somebody masked the bottom of the boombox before sun tanning the meter area? Or are we going to accuse him of swapping the speakers? Or are these the latest generation of urethane coating that is immune to fading cuz JVC decided to "fix" the fading woof issue yet leave the meters to fade like a sunflower?

Seems there are more opinions here than there are members. (voter fraud?). Anyhow, its pretty clear that opinions are quite polarized and nobody is going to succeed in convincing anybody else so perhaps this thread has now become .............. I dunno, pointless? :hmmm:

Jwrok707

Member (SA)
Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
redbenjoe said:
dont mean to be insulting ...

but this is a totally NON-conclusive JVC blow-you-off ,,,, quickie // cursory review -- :dunce: :thumbsdown:

and sweet little veronica is prolly a high school trainee -
with no clue and no interest at researching any discontinued product details............

so --this tiny matter has now been infected with inaccurate information :nonono:

there MAY be one JVC employee entrusted with the wordwide corporate archives-
... but she aint it !!!
I have to agree with you Ira........ Hey I accept the fact that I may have a faded M-90, the color was never a issue to me ever because of how great these things sound!

But excepting Veronica's research as GOSPEL.....Ha!
I guarantee the only thing Veronica researched this week was where and when she could pick up her IPhone 5!!!!

Mrs. Fatdog

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2011
Middle TN
May I interject a completely unbiased opinion? Don't mind if I do....

It seems some of you have yellow lines, some of you have red lines. We can't deny that each of them exist, you do, after all own them. If I'm not mistaken, none of you are the original owners of the boxes you have. And if you are, unless you have pictures of your box each year on the anniversary of when you got it, you can't prove that it did or didn't fade. Oh, and if you do have 30+ years of pictures of you and the same bbx, um, well, please don't tell me.

And while you may throw out the the email from a JVC rep as being unreliable; unless you've worked there, you can only speculate that she replied without checking a database.....

The undeniable fact is that over time when exposed to the elements, everything eventually alters from it's original state in one way or another. (FYI...red and purple are the worst offenders when it come to fading, but I digress)...

You know the only real way to settle this if for someone with the red whatevers and uncleaned and non-polycoatamathings M90 to cover half the box in cardboard and tape and leave the other side exposed. Leave the box in direct sunlight or in a tanning bed, or send the thing in to orbit (facing the sun of course) for what, 30 years and check on it later. Oh what's that? Can't do, don't wanna do, will destroy the box, will be dead, etc. etc.

If you have an M90 and you love it, love it yellow or red. If you think M90s are overrated and prefer another brand, kudos to you.

Either way, don't pick a side and be nasty to each other. I'm pretty sure the FD built this site because of similar nastiness (and much much worse, I know) over at S2G, right? Be good to each other, and respect each others views, thoughts, and opinions. We are here as a collective group with similar interests (except for me, I'm just here for the funnies, all these boxes look the same to me).

And so help me FD, if you delete this post... :annoyed:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Just want to offer my experience with JVC....

I have called them on more than one occassion. The folks that work in customer service really did not sound knowledgeable to me. The couple times that I called, they spent a lot of time looking things up in their database. They didn't even sound knowledgeable about the parts that I inquired about. They sounded more like clerks that were taught how to look up parts and then read the descriptions hoping the customer knew after hearing the description, whether those parts were suitable. At no time did I ever get the feeling that these folks were knowledgeable about past products. They might be more familiar with current model lineups but 35 year old products, they simply type in the model number into their database. In every advertisement and specs I have ever seen and which would be information that would be catalogued into a database, I never saw references to "color". Even though we speak of blue woofers as being iconic of JVC boomboxes, I don't think I ever saw the words "blue" referenced in any advertisement or service manual. Likewise, doubtful yellow tinged meters would be separately cataloged in any searchable manner.

In any event, my main issue with the generalization that everything fades (which I agree with) is that we have not seen any shade between the red and yellow. Surely, there must be some right? Also, we know that the woofers can and do get affected by fading issues. Blue turns pale blue. Gray turns light gray. Also, some folks have seen white which I liken to the Urethane coating getting plastic haze... we see those on all modern cars with plastic headlight lens. But shouldn't boomboxes with faded meters also have faded woofers? There is no consistency there and which is why I say the fading theory isn't completely reconciliable as some boxes with red meters have faded woofers and some with yellow meters have dark, unfaded woofers.

I guess the only thing we can all agree on is that several colors exists in circulation today and that's it. The rest, like Mrs. Fatdog says, we will never know for sure, or certainly won't be in agreement with.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Well I guess I must say now I have the rarest M90 of all. :lol: The beater parts M90 pretty much had orange meters.. Yes you heard right they look orange. Well I decided to use them since the stripe on my tuner looked more orange than red or yellow :thumbsup: here is some pics :-) oh and if you look closely at speakers you can see blue. I did in fact cleaned up my speakers and to my surprise the black came off and blue showed through ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Actually who have a user manuals for m90 can help on this too. Just check the part where is explained how to make a records. There should be some info on that mentioned . Sort of "try to not hit the overloaded red (or yellow) area on the VUs" and so. It will be real proof if somebody find this with yellow mentioned :yes: . I should disagree with Norm for the very first time - you cant be judging the fading process of two different materials the same way ( i mean the speakers and VU's behind the "glass" window which is playing special role in this case) . It is clearly possible that the vu's can fade probably for a few hours in "proper" condition. We all saw this to happen to lot of materials , especially in red. And some times a few hours are enough. Im curious actually how tick and how the M90 VU's glass is looking. Can be something with this. And c'mon - we are seeing - red-orange-yellow-white yellow to almost white pictures. For me that proofs clearly that here we witnessing fading processes :yes: . Which from other side dont proof that here is no originally yellow variant of the boomer :hmmm: But i think the JVC rep looked in some database and saw all the variants so i will take her word for true :yes: And the above post of Bill killed all theory for red-yellow variants. Soon we will see and white to white variants too :lol: .
And mrs. Fatdog told it wisely - just love em :breakdance:

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)
Wow, I didn't mean to start a civil war! :-O :sadno: :sadno: I just saw the yellow meters on that M90 and had never seen that color before. :dunce:

I agree with SuperDuper and Mrs FD: there are many color variations in circulation today and love the one you've got. :breakdance: :smooch: :breakdance: :smooch: :breakdance: :smooch: :breakdance: :smooch: :breakdance: :smooch:

FTR, I've got a 2-band Victor with red meters, red dial, and gray-ish blue speakers.

Go!

=ml=

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)
stormsven said:
Actually who have a user manuals for m90 can help on this too. Just check the part where is explained how to make a records. There should be some info on that mentioned . Sort of "try to not hit the overloaded red (or yellow) area on the VUs" and so.
At the risk of... :ls-duel:

Like a curious cat :choco: that couldn't help itself, I looked in my M90 manual:

:vespa:

:hoveround:

:popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Granted, this is for a US model and the original pic was of a Japanese model...

Go!

=ml=

Scotty_M

Member (SA)
Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane, AU
Holy crap how did this become 6 pages deep? I remember asking the same question about the big ben's meters (yellow vs red models).

Scotty

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
stormsven said:
devol-toni said:
Is it possible that the Japanese word for yellow is translated in the other languages as red? :hmmm: :lol: :lol:
Or the word "yellow" just faded from the manual :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Everyone knows it is a physical law that the word "yellow" becomes "red" after about 10 years. :lol:

It is still no real proof to me that there was no yellow VU meter version of the M90 back in the day :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Somebody should school all these damn youngsters who draw conclusions from half-facts like asking JVC or looking it up in the manual! :thumbsdown: :nonono: :nonono:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
mmcodomino said:
Well, I am actually glad this all went down the way it did.
It revealed some of the real faces of some people here and I definitely learned a lot (not connected with any fading M90s).
...real faces... :huh:...you seem to be making this personal... :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.