Yall ever take your boomboxes out of hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
I use mine all the time. Whether I'm in the house or outside, I almost always have a boombox blasting!

How can anybody (regardless of age) not like a 975? That's just crazy!!!!!

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
1986GLH said:
I use mine all the time. Whether I'm in the house or outside, I almost always have a boombox blasting!How can anybody (regardless of age) not like a 975? That's just crazy!!!!!
No kidding. Better than my weak CFS-45 :lol:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
There isn't a place I DON'T take blasters!

Gatlinburg, TN:
IMG_2580.JPG

Miami, FL:
IMG_4641.JPG

Camping:
320237_10152060084570394_1130764516_n.jpg
539086_10152060089135394_514019174_n.jpg
0630121709.jpg
DSC_0064.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
post-83-0-01276900-1404853052.jpg
post-83-0-20057200-1404405311.jpg
IMG_3119.JPG
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_6670.JPG
IMG_4585.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5713.JPG

Even to the local pool:
IMG_4734.JPG

Las Vegas, NV:
IMG_6097.JPG
IMG_6116.JPG
IMG_6303.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
What a great thread!! Made me smile loads at you all with the stereo's along for the ride - I guess it's normal for a lot of us take one or two out with us :-)

I am getting a car very soon - looking forward to taking my Sanyo mini's & maybe a big one out to play - I don't give a monkeys what anyone thinks............most of my friends think I am a bit odd anyway........Why have you got all these??? What for??? etc etc..........Old friends of mine totally get it though - they remember only too well my obsession with the stereo radio recorder from 1981 onwards (& before)

Keep posting, these pictures are great :thumbsup:

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
blu_fuz said:
Yeah, my wife! Hahahaha
Can (somewhat) relate.
Nickeccles said:
What a great thread!! Made me smile loads at you all with the stereo's along for the ride - I guess it's normal for a lot of us take one or two out with us :-)

I am getting a car very soon - looking forward to taking my Sanyo mini's & maybe a big one out to play - I don't give a monkeys what anyone thinks............most of my friends think I am a bit odd anyway........Why have you got all these??? What for??? etc etc..........Old friends of mine totally get it though - they remember only too well my obsession with the stereo radio recorder from 1981 onwards (& before)

Keep posting, these pictures are great :thumbsup:
I was actually surprised there wasn't already a thread like this. I just like hearing people reminisce and tell stories or share some dope pictures. Good luck on the car, hope it's a mean ride!

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Joe... one of your pictures is just of beer.... lol.

I would love to bring one everywhere, for a while I always had one in a car.

The problem I have is my wife thinks I'm ridiculous and it embarrasses her to even bring them out.

So I pretty much just use them when she's not around... which... is pretty much just at work. Hahaha.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
trippy1313 said:
Joe... one of your pictures is just of beer.... lol.
I would love to bring one everywhere, for a while I always had one in a car.
The problem I have is my wife thinks I'm ridiculous and it embarrasses her to even bring them out.
So I pretty much just use them when she's not around... which... is pretty much just at work. Hahaha.
Goddamn, why did I just now catch that? Also, where do you work where you can bring a boombox and not have it be some sort of distraction?

KandiKlover

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2017
Nice photos, I laugh at the "Fad People" with their music playing on that little whispery sounding 1cm phone speaker, all you hear is just a whimpy incoherent "Pss pss pss" sound LMAO. If you're gonna listen without headphones at least do it right, you people here are alright :rock:

BTW you ever wanna get some real mad disrespect put in some Thrash metal and turn it all the way up at one of the rich people beaches haha :bang:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
I always have a boombox on rotation, at home inside and out, holidays, family gatherings, our So Cal mini meets, the beach, camping, the park, and so on and so on. Even my younger neices and nephews like them. I dont know anyone that prefers that crappy cell phone sound over a 975, that puzzles me???

Next time just crank it up and you will totally drown out anyones negative comments :-) Keep on doin what your doin bro

KandiKlover

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2017
SLO said:
I dont know anyone that prefers that crappy cell phone sound over a 975, that puzzles me???
Some people must've just lost their minds or something lmao crazies. Just be careful not to blast a Vulcan, you'll get nerve pinched :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfCpDQKHcUw

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
KandiKlover said:
Nice photos, I laugh at the "Fad People" with their music playing on that little whispery sounding 1cm phone speaker, all you hear is just a whimpy incoherent "Pss pss pss" sound LMAO. If you're gonna listen without headphones at least do it right, you people here are alright :rock:

BTW you ever wanna get some real mad disrespect put in some Thrash metal and turn it all the way up at one of the rich people beaches haha :bang:
I never understood bringing a boombox to a beach. Wouldn't want the thing to get sandy, ya know. And yeah, with just your phone the music will sound like ****. I came packed with better gear. And they coulda just used the auxiliary line-in to play whatever they wanted, they weren't just limited to radio and these ancient devices known as "cassette tapes".

SLO said:
I always have a boombox on rotation, at home inside and out, holidays, family gatherings, our So Cal mini meets, the beach, camping, the park, and so on and so on. Even my younger neices and nephews like them. I dont know anyone that prefers that crappy cell phone sound over a 975, that puzzles me???

Next time just crank it up and you will totally drown out anyones negative comments :-) Keep on doin what your doin bro
I don't think it was necessarily the sound, more like the concept and fashion. Carrying around this gargantuan, flashy, elaborate machine just to play music. It's a dead format, whether you like it or not. Not anything the current generation had seen before, so it may have come off as very outlandish for the event. If I hadn't been developed in the hobby and culture, I could see myself looking at the guy with the boombox and thinking, "Damn, that guy is crazy!".

KandiKlover

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2017
FWSnake said:

I don't think it was necessarily the sound, more like the concept and fashion. Carrying around this gargantuan, flashy, elaborate machine just to play music. It's a dead format, whether you like it or not. Not anything the current generation had seen before, so it may have come off as very outlandish for the event. If I hadn't been developed in the hobby and culture, I could see myself looking at the guy with the boombox and thinking, "Damn, that guy is crazy!".
Actually not dead whether you like or not, quite a lot of young people are taking interest into "retro" things like film cams, boomboxes, tapes, vinyls, shortwave, Ham radio and so on. Otherwise you wouldn't see companies starting to make things like that again. Younger than everyone here. Gotta get in touch with today old timer :-P

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
KandiKlover said:
Actually not dead whether you like or not, quite a lot of young people are taking interest into "retro" things like film cams, boomboxes, tapes, vinyls, shortwave, Ham radio and so on. Otherwise you wouldn't see companies starting to make things like that again. Younger than everyone here. Gotta get in touch with today old timer :-P Motorola better bring back the DynaTAC :lol:

Attachments

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Young people these days have a very different understanding of what it is to buy something. Back in the real old days (before my time), when you went into an electrical store to buy something, you tended to buy something good quality and you expected it to last.

Eg: My daughter has an EBay sourced 50 cent Westinghouse fan in her bedroom that is a 1957 model (Australian made). It has outlasted a countless number of cheapo china fans used elsewhere in the house - it's laughable really.

My mum has a Sunbeam toaster from 1975 - still works perfectly. When I go camping, I always take my portable 12V/240v Engel fridge/freezer - 1984 model - works great!

Back then, when you bought a radio cassette, you weren't buying something to use until the next model release - you expected many years of faithful service.

Not today - I don't think people realise how cheap modern electrical gear is. And that old saying is as true today as it ever was - 'You get what you pay for'. The problem is, these days it's difficult to find good quality even if you're willing to pay the extra.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yes, there was a picture of just beer - felt appropriate for the post, hahahahahaha.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Young people these days have a very different understanding of what it is to buy something. Back in the real old days (before my time), when you went into an electrical store to buy something, you tended to buy something good quality and you expected it to last.
Eg: My daughter has an EBay sourced 50 cent Westinghouse fan in her bedroom that is a 1957 model (Australian made). It has outlasted a countless number of cheapo china fans used elsewhere in the house - it's laughable really.
My mum has a Sunbeam toaster from 1975 - still works perfectly. When I go camping, I always take my portable 12V/240v Engel fridge/freezer - 1984 model - works great!
Back then, when you bought a radio cassette, you weren't buying something to use until the next model release - you expected many years of faithful service.
Not today - I don't think people realise how cheap modern electrical gear is. And that old saying is as true today as it ever was - 'You get what you pay for'. The problem is, these days it's difficult to find good quality even if you're willing to pay the extra.
True ****. I've been disappointed with almost every piece of modern electronic equipment I've used. We have this Sony home stereo (don't know the model) and these HUGE speakers that accommodate it and the sound is still cellphone quality. Bad to judge off of one make, but still

Status
Not open for further replies.