Who's got Mono?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Most European sets went to 108MHz, but British ones only reached to 101 or later on, to 104 because the Police used the shorter end of the VHF band and although it wasn't against the law to listen to their comms back then, set makers had a Gentleman's agreement with the Government hence most didn't tune all the way down to 108MHz. I have around 70 sets from the bigger German makers and only one of my Graetz Page sets stops at 104, all of the Grundigs, ITT-KBs, Horlers, Telefunken, Nordmende and Saba among others go all the way down to 108.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
currently have 3 sony monos-cf495,440 and 420-and i love them all- john i love the rare hacker sovereign cassette mono :drool: -some great monos on this thread!!!!! :drool:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
There's a similar RPC1 cassette Sovereign on eBay UK just now, well worth a bid IMHO. It's not mint and unused as mine was until I started enjoying it but the eBay one appears to be 99.9% there and I can supply from my Hacker spares stash the few bits (station markers, so non-critical) that are missing.

Go on, you know it makes sense! :yes: ;-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
I went looking, thinking that I'd just send you the eBay link by PM but it's finished already. :-/ The link to the completed listing is HERE. That was sooooo cheap for a thing with a Nakamichi-built transport mechanism, a push-pull BTL output stage with a massive oval woofer and solid construction out of hardwood and aluminium. Even though that one has the all-black grille that's known for fading to pink in daylight, it could be stripped and sprayed then its edges polished like my earlier one. Dammit! I'd have had a bid if I'd seen that finishing for so much below their typical £200 value in working order. :blush: That's what they usually fetch through the Hacker brand-specific forum.

This youtube clip doesn't sound that good as I made it with a phone cam, but it gives some idea of what these can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpd_df_wVg&list=UUDhpUm-6PhOpNAdZHwOBK0Q

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
:drool: :drool: :drool: Far too much Panasonic mono action for one man to handle alone! DIBS!

(Not on the 550 though, I want a matched pair of those when I eventually take the plunge..)

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Beosystem10 said:
(Not on the 550 though, I want a matched pair of those when I eventually take the plunge..)
Then just split the source audio to feed to the mono inputs on the dual 550's for a stereo sensation!!

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
that was cheap for that hacker sovereign john-i once had a beautiful hacker sovereign none cassette model and it sounded superb-paid 20 pounds from the carboot for it it was that convincing when i saw it! :yes:
those panasonic rf5410s in your pic michiel are cherry-i love the look of them,they are next on my mono hit list-well just the one for me as room is at a premium again :lol:
and who could forget the rc550-doubt ill ever get my mitts on one of those :sad:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
JustCruisin said:
I was actually taking pics of my JVCs last night! I'll have to find my Y-adapter so I can jam both of em!
image.jpg
:yes:
Black handle for the left channel, silver handle for the right! These would make a fabulous pair of retro-style active speakers for a minimalist separates system. :thumbsup:

Andy, one of my 18V favourite things, just for inspiration:

(The handle is arrow straight, my phone cam doesn't like straight lines and would probably have been Pablo Picasso if it were human..)

& before someone points it out, I know that "tropical fish"-style ceramic caps aren't strictly in period for that audio amp board but they work (one of these days I'll gut some waxies and fit modern polyesters inside those for correct appearance). This is one of my everyday listening devices, a very rare white Sovereign 2 with Celestion speaker and input for 18V DC from a wall wart, which saves a fortune on PP9s at £2 each that only last a year.
The input plug taped to the FM aerial is original, they supplied those so that the owner could fit that to their record deck, external tape recorder or whatever and connect to the set's aux input. Solid hardwood cabinet and that massive aluminium chassis mean that, if I put this on one end of a seesaw and the - equally solid but definitely not wooden - B&Os10 on the other, the B&O would go into orbit!

SSF

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2014
Russia
I have here a mono. Sony 1980 Mark5. The sound is just awesome! Deep bass for this mono strongly impress!

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
A few recent acquisitions...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:15388]

Minisette-16

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:14608]

Minisette-10

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12581]

Minisette-12

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:11984]

Electra CT-100 and GE M8350A - a monobox without a radio

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5128]