What kind of power supply cord do I need for RC-550?

68skyblue

Jan 18, 2022
Iowa
Hi. This is my first post ever. I bought a RC-550 and I need a power supply cord for it. It says "DC-12V". Here is a photo. Is this something I can find somewhere? Thanks if someone can help. It's working off of the eight D-Cells right now.

Attachments

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
there should be another plug-in location either on the back of the Boombox or on the side that you put a AC cord in , this will allow you to just use the cord to plug it in the wall mind you there's multiple voltages for these boomboxes depending on whether you live in North America or in Europe so you have to make sure that the voltage is set accordingly there should be a voltage selector on the back of the box. make sure you check the voltage before you plug it in.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
there should be another plug-in location either on the back of the Boombox or on the side that you put a AC cord in , this will allow you to just use the cord to plug it in the wall mind you there's multiple voltages for these boomboxes depending on whether you live in North America or in Europe so you have to make sure that the voltage is set accordingly there should be a voltage selector on the back of the box. make sure you check the voltage before you plug it in.
if you find a socket on it that says AC then that means you can plug it in with a simple cord. if you don't have a cord then post a picture of the socket the cord plugs into and take it from there.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
if you find a socket on it that says AC then that means you can plug it in with a simple cord. if you don't have a cord then post a picture of the socket the cord plugs into and take it from there.
it's most likely already set to the right voltage you just have to find the right AC cord.

68skyblue

Jan 18, 2022
Iowa
Thank you. Here is a photo of the AC socket. I don't have a cord. By the way there is a recessed hole next to the power supply sockets that reads "120V".

Attachments

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
That's not standard the pins maybe two close together. It's actually a Rectangular plug similar to a shaver.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That's not standard the pins maybe two close together. It's actually a Rectangular plug similar to a shaver.

#5 is what I selected and it will fit most of our boxes except Sony CFS 99 etc.
Those V shaped cuts on either side ( the gap on the top is close) should lift the battery cut off switch also.
I had luck with those types for many boomboxes.

Attachments

Last edited:

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Thank you. Ordered. This won't be my only question, ha ha. Appreciate this resource.
Can you measure the distance between the two pins on your box? These old boxes have pins closer together and not compatible with new cables.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
New ones are 8.5mm if you try to use you will be bending the pins in the box.

This is the correct one although very hard to find. The pins are 7mm apart old shavers have this plug as well. jvc plug.JPG

68skyblue

Jan 18, 2022
Iowa
Received the cord that I had ordered and the measurement confirms the slight differences discussed above. I warmed the radio a bit near a space heater and then inserted a needle-nosed pliers in between the pins to widen them a little. I inserted the cord with no problem and the radio sounds fine (batteries out). So I appreciate both responses; the practical one and the technically correct one. I'll post another question soon....I need to open it up.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That 0.75 mm clearance on either side of the holes make no difference at all to fit in. The female pins will easily wiggle/jiggle and accommodate in the plastic holder of the plug. :-D

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why would you this is a so called Grail?
Because nothing will happen to the pins at all!
There is good tolerance.
It is not special like the pins of Sony CFS 99.
Most of all JVC AC cords for M90, M70 etc. will suit RC550.
JVC RC550 cord is not anything very special!
There is no need for overengineering!

Last edited:

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
that's why I like a boom box with built-in cord. seems to me a removable cord is the dumbest idea ever. if a cheap box can have a built-in cord why can't an expensive one.