VerY UnUSuaL BoXeS...!

Dancorp

Member (SA)
Apr 13, 2017
Marseille, France
I would like to use this topic to present you this Hortex model, whose reference is unknown!

It is for sale, 50€ (shipping costs not included)
Before buying it, I would like to know if the sound is good and if it is equipped with a line-in/line-out.
If you have any ideas, thank you in advance!

Attachments

retro

Aug 12, 2010
New York
The Philips Combi has an unusually large screen for a TV boombox, and check out the protrusion in the rear making it awkward to carry.

820c57a65a3b2044d16ade694f9d4967--boombox.jpg

images(10).jpg

images(11).jpg

Attachments

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
retro said:
The Philips Combi has an unusually large screen for a TV boombox, and check out the protrusion in the rear making it awkward to carry.

[attachment=40094:820c57a65a3b2044d16ade694f9d4967--boombox.j

[B]Phillips Combi TC-10[/B]

images(12).jpg

images(10).jpg

images(11).jpg
OMG! I love tv boomboxes. I didn't know there was a color TV one with such a big screen. I had a panasonic with the 12" B/W tv in the middle, but this is so much better! Finally something to hook up my Commodore 64 (Pal) to. Found one on ebay from an Italian seller, hope it arrives in one piece.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
So I just picked this box up. It has the looks I like. Does anyone own a "Stewart" box? I can't find anything about the company. They made really old transistor radios in the 20s / 30s, but I couldn't find anything from the 70s/80s. The model is ST-1072. I'd be curious if anyone knows of this company.

I'm getting an error trying to attach a photo, so maybe the link will work...?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-and-Super-Rare-Stewart-Boombox-Model-No-ST-1072/282972289779?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2750.l2649

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
BassHead said:
So I just picked this box up. It has the looks I like. Does anyone own a "Stewart" box? I can't find anything about the company. They made really old transistor radios in the 20s / 30s, but I couldn't find anything from the 70s/80s. The model is ST-1072. I'd be curious if anyone knows of this company.

I'm getting an error trying to attach a photo, so maybe the link will work...?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-and-Super-Rare-Stewart-Boombox-Model-No-ST-1072/282972289779?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2750.l2649
It seems to be the same model as a Bush 7080 (UK) although the speaker grills are different.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Ahh. You were all over that one. Good call! :clap:

It does look tiny, and that is what I'm looking for. Something to take to the beach (FL lifestyle I'm learning) and not worry too much. Although I really do like the look of her. My Toshiba Bombeat 12 (variant) is my pride and joy and I haven't been kind to her at times :lol:

Maybe I'll be relegate her to house duties, as she is getting old.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Awesome. My box needs a belt(s) I believe. Motor turns but nothing spins. I've watched a friend replace a belt before, but never done it. I do have a pack of belts so I think i'm going to try it.

The only box I saw belted was on an autoreverse deck, which had 4 belts (w/ counter). It was very confusing for my small brain. Hopefully this is just a belt from the motor to the flywheel ;-) I should be able to do that one!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Either an Amstrad/Pilot 8060 AKA or Paramount swapped the turntable for a center woofer and grill. When the turntable is closed it looks really boring anyway. The badges by the tweeters are also altered/removed.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
It definitely looks like the woofer was a custom addition. You can see that the screws of the woofer trim are not perfectly aligned.

funktoon

Member (SA)
Aug 26, 2015
i FINALLY found the "best" pic of my Lasonic TRC-935 I ever took with the cheap camera I bought at a department store the day I visited LA. It got stolen the next time I visited. I have some closeups, but they're on film that's in storage. I "had to" paint it because the gaudy chrome and busy graphics that made it look like a cheap Chinese toy robot got on my very last nerve. I'm not a fan of post hip-hop Chinese boomboxes and consider the JVC-RCM90 to be what a REAL boombox looks like, though I always like minimalist Kabooms too. The only reasons i bought the Lasonic were that it was the loudest and had the best bass out of more than a dozen boxes on display (circa 1991) at a membership store and that it had a graphic EQ. Otherwise, I still lusted over a mid to late 80s grey Sharp that looked a lot like an RCM90 I'd seen in a store window for $250 that was hard for me to wrap my head around pricewise that was gone when I decided I wanted to buy it afterall.

Anyways, here's my "duck rock" custom.

boombox.png

the yellow dots on the front are smiley face stickers, and i knocked 4 of the spokes out of each of the tweeter guards to make peace signs. (remember greenpeace?)

as much as some of you seem to lose your effing minds when I criticize just how tacky boxes like this are in their natural state:

go ahead and criticize how tacky MY ORIGINAL ART IS! unlike many of you, i'm a big boy, and can take it, even if it's PERSONAL, like this, UNLIKE boxes you merely like and that aren't your momma. you're as entitled to your opinions as i am to mine even if you think it's your place to try and tell people what opinions they're "allowed" to have

for what it's worth, THIS was the inspiration behind MY "tacky" boombox that might make it clearer why it looked like it did (does? sitting on some thief's shelf)

unlike you, boomboxes aren't collector's items to me. they're symbols of the REAL (as in ANTI-gangsta) hip-hop CULTURE i still embrace and that is the REASON you all have YOUR boxes.

YOU'RE WELCOME

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Trust me I don't hate you because you're different you just sound like a first-class a hole.

F*** pop culture I buy them cuz I like boom boxes.

UnLike these Millennials that live in their pop bubble full of bulshit.

I was there almost from f****** day one doing this s***.

Oh trust me I used to sound like a cocky horse's ass when I started out here too.

Reactions: skippy1969

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Funktoon, you need to dial it down a few notches. You say that "unlike many of" us you "can take it" (e.g. criticism of modding a boombox) because you are "a big boy." Seriously? What person over the age of 17 would write that? You say you can take it, but it sure sounds like you have your "big boy" pants pulled a little too tightly. Chastising and finger pointing do nothing to help support your position. Like JVC Floyd posted, it just makes you sound like an arse.

Realize that there will always be people who disagree with defacing a cosmetically fine boombox even if it is done artfully. To each his own.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Dude, all anyone said was "We like OG Lasonic styling".....We didn't say your opinion was wrong.

By the way, your custom job looks good. Don't assume we're going to hate on it. There's lots of custom jobs on this site.

BTW, you say you embrace hiphop culture... Ok fine, but why not just describe how you do that, instead of claiming that the rest of us don't?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
funktoon said:
i FINALLY found the "best" pic of my Lasonic TRC-935 I ever took with the cheap camera I bought at a department store the day I visited LA. It got stolen the next time I visited. I have some closeups, but they're on film that's in storage. I "had to" paint it because the gaudy chrome and busy graphics that made it look like a cheap Chinese toy robot got on my very last nerve. I'm not a fan of post hip-hop Chinese boomboxes and consider the JVC-RCM90 to be what a REAL boombox looks like, though I always like minimalist Kabooms too. The only reasons i bought the Lasonic were that it was the loudest and had the best bass out of more than a dozen boxes on display (circa 1991) at a membership store and that it had a graphic EQ. Otherwise, I still lusted over a mid to late 80s grey Sharp that looked a lot like an RCM90 I'd seen in a store window for $250 that was hard for me to wrap my head around pricewise that was gone when I decided I wanted to buy it afterall.

Anyways, here's my "duck rock" custom.

boombox.png

the yellow dots on the front are smiley face stickers, and i knocked 4 of the spokes out of each of the tweeter guards to make peace signs. (remember greenpeace?)

as much as some of you seem to lose your effing minds when I criticize just how tacky boxes like this are in their natural state:

go ahead and criticize how tacky MY ORIGINAL ART IS! unlike many of you, i'm a big boy, and can take it, even if it's PERSONAL, like this, UNLIKE boxes you merely like and that aren't your momma. you're as entitled to your opinions as i am to mine even if you think it's your place to try and tell people what opinions they're "allowed" to have

for what it's worth, THIS was the inspiration behind MY "tacky" boombox that might make it clearer why it looked like it did (does? sitting on some thief's shelf)

unlike you, boomboxes aren't collector's items to me. they're symbols of the REAL (as in ANTI-gangsta) hip-hop CULTURE i still embrace and that is the REASON you all have YOUR boxes.

YOU'RE WELCOME
Dump this guy