TRK-9150W speaker chroming

Status
Not open for further replies.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
It pulled up after trying it two hours later, double the cure time, but saw the arm was lifting, so I thought, if I could pin that down somehow, then the JB would only need to stop lateral movement.

I drilled a 70 gauge (0.028" dia.) hole and used one of my smallest screws, closest OD is an m0.7 or 000-120 but self-tapping. I found a washer thin enough to leave enough shaft to stay in the hole securely and with a hole small enough not to let the head slip through, and large enough to reach the arm since my hole ended up a little high.

Used some Super Lube on a few spots so it's quiet now, everything apparently works except for rewind auto-stopping. Nothing seems broken so it could be by design.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
FInally finished up this morning and it looks and sounds great! I replaced the power supply cap but may do more of the big ones on the amp board later.

I got the rewind to work without stopping, but playing tapes is slow, and there is no speed adjustment on the motor that I can see, so perhaps another day I'll look at it, but it sounds fantastic with a digital tape.

The silver paint on the mic covers was very worn, so I cut out some chrome decals for them. I had trouble applying individual strips because they wouldn't stay stuck down around the bend on the front, so I cut out one big piece with an anchoring bar, with perforations to allow the strips to easily bend at a right angle underneath. I applied some low-tack tape to the top so I could apply them without any alignment issues.

I had the opportunity to meet THAFUZZ and family for dinner and had a chance to blare this beast for him, good to see you bro!

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hmm, I'm really liking the looks of it. Classic but serious no-nonsense looks with a touch of modern bling bling.

Eric, it would be interesting if encompass actually comes through on the parts. Encompass and partstore never comes through on anything for me, even though they claim to have things available, invariably, after holding payment hostage for weeks, they later cancels order with NLA notification. Always a disappointing moment given the hopeful expectations that inflates for weeks only to be suddenly burst. Although about 10 years ago, I was so shocked that they advertised SM for the GF-777 that I ordered TWO and they did come, although they later no longer had any more parts when the boombox buzz caught fire shortly thereafter.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Yeah, that's sort of what I'm expecting. It'll go on for a while before they cancel it. They must get inventory lists for sources without vetting actual parts on hand. They're still letting you order a tuner window and deck button for the 777 :lol:

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Need a set of chrome trims like yours for mine, but about the rings, instead of blue did you could print red ones?
Let me know about price and shipping to Brazil.

Cheer.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Just read this whole thread.

Man what a ride!

You took a nice, industrial design and made it modern and eye popping. Both the blue and red look great. This is a new level of customizing!

Brilliant Eric! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.