Trivia question:Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doclasik

Member (SA)
Feb 20, 2015
It was Springtime in 1981 and I was a poor medical student barely scraping by when I came upon a WINDFALL - my grandmother gave me $300 to "buy something nice" for myself. I had coveted the Panny boomboxes for a while and remember going to a huge electronics store in New Jersey with my girlfriend to check them out.

There were EXACTLY THREE Panasonic boom boxes that I listened to that day: one was around $200, one was $300, and one was way beyond my price range ($400+??) and also significantly larger than the $300 box. I quickly narrowed it down to the Panasonic RX-5600 ($300) and the larger, more expensive Panasonic box. I agonized between them for almost an entire hour listening back and forth and back and forth until I finally convinced myself that they sounded close enough to leave the store clutching my brand new 5600 with a HUGE smile on my face.

To this day, I can't remember (or figure out) which model the more expensive boom box was - and its driving me crazy!!! I have a distinct recollection of the more expensive box sounding just a wee bit better than the 5600, but since I couldn't afford it anyway (unless I borrowed money from my girlfriend), I just got the 5600 and went on my way. To this day I still have the 5600 and it still sounds great. I even have had occasional crazy thoughts about the larger box having real wood trim on it - but I doubt that this was really the case...

Can anyone help solve this mystery for me? Please help!!!

Doc

doclasik

Member (SA)
Feb 20, 2015
I'm pretty sure that the tuner and controls were also on top (like the 5600) rather than on the bottom. The wood trim does seem to ring a bell. Was it actual wood or laminate?

doclasik

Member (SA)
Feb 20, 2015
Unbelievable - you nailed it Alex. I'm SURE this was "the one that got away"(kind of like my girlfriend back then)...

Do you know how rare these are? Any idea what how much one of these cost back in '81?

Doc

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Interesting how all those memories come flooding back.

Those big Panasonic's were WAY out of my price range back then. They were the things of dreams and fantasies.

Do you still have your 5600?

:popcorn:

doclasik

Member (SA)
Feb 20, 2015
Yes, I still have my original 5600 - and I may even have the original box somewhere in my garage! I blew out the internal 120V transformer by plugging it into an apartment with funky wiring in Boston in the mid-80's, but it still powers up and works just fine with a standard "wall wart" adapter.

Does anyone know how long cassettes recorded in the 80's last? I've heard different things about when the tape begins to degrade...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Glad you still got it

Magnetic Tape is one of the longest lasting mediums there is if it is kept in the right environment. Computer Tape Back Up's are still in use

I have all my tapes from the 70' & 80's. The only issue is the glue that holds the tiny felt pad to the tape head.

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB
doclasik said:
Unbelievable -
I am glad, mate, that you have identified your RX-5700 at last. :-)
I know how disturbing it might be when you are trying to recall something but you could not.
It might become a mania. ;)

I myself have one - back in mid80s one of the most striking boxes I saw first was Sharp WF-939 - love it still,
has WF-940H.
Another one was either JVC PC-W300 or 330 - they look pretty similar and i couldn't recall which model exactly.
Bu here I am in a better position - I might grab both at a reasonable price, the only thing is the lack of space to keep them. :(

Going back to rarity of Panny/National/NP RX-5700 - well, I wouldn't call them pretty rare.
But I need to mention that I could speak with better confidence only about the domestic Japanese market - most of my boomers are from Yahoo JP which I have been scanning with a due deligence for the last 1.5 years. :yes:
There, of course, 5400s and 5600s are more frequent guests but you still could nail 5700.
Again, I wouldn't call them very rare beasts nowdays in Japan.
I used to have 5400 but got bored with that box having no level meters, sold it last year, first thought was to go after 5600,
but lack of place made me jump over it and chase 5700 then.

Prices, prices back in 81 - good point, I won't let myself pure speculation :yes:I'd better check some sources first.

I don't believe in coincidences much but here we are: :yes:
After you had started your thread yesterday in an hour I got a call from my middle man shipping boxes to me,
he announced that the next batch of souvenirs and toys from Japan was going to arrive today and National RX-5700 was on of them. :-D
Usually it takes 1.5 months for them to come from Japan.

much

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
doclasik said:
Any idea what how much one of these cost back in '81?
Here we are, Doc, in Japan 5700 cost 67.000 or 87.000 yen - couldn't make out price exactly from this pic.

Exchange rate in 81 was about 1/221 if I remember correctly - but better check yourself.
Anyway, pretty expensive - M90 cost around 98000 yen (roughly 450$), JVC PC-5 108.000.

national rx-5700_1.jpg

doclasik

Member (SA)
Feb 20, 2015
I was not citing that particular reference, but I felt that it applied very well to both to the 5700 and my girlfriend at the time :yes:. I actually reconnected with the ex by e-mail for a while, but finally realized that you really can't go back there...at least regarding the ex.

Mystic Traveller: would you consider selling the 5700 to me once it arrives? Since I didn't get the girl, perhaps I can at least get the box (no puns intended).

Thanks,

Doc

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
doclasik said:
Mystic Traveller: would you consider selling the 5700 to me once it arrives? Since I didn't get the girl, perhaps I can at least get the box (no puns intended).

Thanks,

Doc
Hi Doc, I could consider selling this boomer after having played with it, no problem. For what it has cost me.
But it also needs work - cleaning, a bit of deck surgery maybe. :-) It needs good hands.
And the overseas shipping would cost, the beast is heavy - 8.5 kilos.
If I were you, since that was such an important memory in your life, I'd do my best trying to score namely that brand
you saw back in 1981 (not sure whether it was Panasonic or National Panasonic) and as mint as possible.
IMO, it's worth it. :yes: Life is short.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
The 7200 is my favourite of the series. Never heard 1 in person but they look so cool with the chromed controls, wood sides & digital tuner/display......simply gorgeous & extremely well built form what I can gather....

Cpl

Status
Not open for further replies.