Three piece boxes. Do you love them? Do you hate them? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
teamstress said:
stormsven said:
I love 3 piecers too , but little annoying - WHY THEY DONT MADE EM ALL like Hitachi TRK 9140 - no wires when connected to the body - hard joints instead (and wires get in use just when needed and can be taken out from the compartments). It is really great design and really cant see why others didnt used this :sadno: Anyway im keeping my 3 piecers all the time connected, but still lot better sound from one piecers :yes: . IMHO some of the so called 3 piecers are one piecers with the option - the speakers can be taken in distance if we will. Who have 9140 or 9150 know what im talking about :-P .

The Modulette 500 works that way also.

[ Image ]
Modulette...mmmmmmmm. :drool:

ovino7777

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
germany
Hello ,i want to share my sony fh and mhc from the 80 s with you,tell me what do you you think about them.
SONY fh-150 r 1985

SONY MHC-3000 1988

SONY fh-15r

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
ovino7777 said:
Hello ,i want to share my sony fh and mhc from the 80 s with you,tell me what do you you think about them.
mad pimpin' :thumbsup:
welcome to the forum

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
I agree with your comments regarding the 11 kg Hitachi TRK9140E. If you open the speaker boxes, you find a driver with a huge magnet almost the size of the speaker cone, with full sound deadening included - I'm no expert on Hi Fi but an enclosed speaker box with the padding has to be better than a speaker inside a cabinet full of electronics, other hard surface items and air.

The TRK9140Es fixed terminals on the side of the speaker box is a fantastic design - I guess it was an expensive solution to avoid the ugly wires hanging out the back of most other 3 piece units.

Great site by the way,

James.... :-)
stormsven said:
I love 3 piecers too , but little annoying - WHY THEY DONT MADE EM ALL like Hitachi TRK 9140 - no wires when connected to the body - hard joints instead (and wires get in use just when needed and can be taken out from the compartments). It is really great design and really cant see why others didnt used this :sadno: Anyway im keeping my 3 piecers all the time connected, but still lot better sound from one piecers :yes: . IMHO some of the so called 3 piecers are one piecers with the option - the speakers can be taken in distance if we will. Who have 9140 or 9150 know what im talking about :-P .

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
I have both styles of these radio's. I love my Wx-1 and own the Modulaire as well. My best sounding 3 piecer has to be my Technics SC-C05S. 7 band defeatable Eq and ported speakers!! :thumbsup: I'll put that up against your M70 or almost any other mid sized box! It's a dope box! I'm looking for a Sharp GF-300 because I hear that radio can whoop some @ss as well!! LASONIC L30's for the street because there's an abundance of them and sound good and loud. Bass is great with decent highs.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
The TRK9140Es fixed terminals on the side of the speaker box is a fantastic design - I guess it was an expensive solution to avoid the ugly wires hanging out the back of most other 3 piece units.
I have one like that......But over the years, the contacts get dirty and sometimes even corroded. I guess I don't trust those type of contacts to deliver audio quality as good as traditional speaker wires.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
I have some of them:

Sanyo KBX-7
Polyvox PA850
Sony FH100-W
Sansui CP-5 (impressive for his size)

And Sharp (my first) GX-250 (coming next monday). :thumbsup:

The CP-5 is my "must have" in the three piece category! :w00t:

Cheers.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Good point. I guess it depends on the operating environment. I checked the terminals on mine and they have a perfect (chrome) finish and seem to work well.

Have a great day,

James.... :thumbsup:
Reli said:
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I have one like that......But over the years, the contacts get dirty and sometimes even corroded. I guess I don't trust those type of contacts to deliver audio quality as good as traditional speaker wires.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
I don't think three-piecers should generally considered not to be a boombox :-O
I'm not a huge fan either but there are some super-awesome ones which definitely make up for the crappier ones!

bashngu

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
One Piece, Three Piece, Eight Piece................................. They all suck. lol

Hi all!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
3-pieces blow away 1-pieces in sound quality....
But I wish the speakers were permanently attached -- I never separate them. I think they look best when they're attached.

check tha bass

Member (SA)
May 11, 2010
Reli said:
3-pieces blow away 1-pieces in sound quality....
But I wish the speakers were permanently attached -- I never separate them. I think they look best when they're attached.

i totally agree with you reli,,on everything..i love the sound of 3 piecers,they sound way nicer than one piecers..most one piecers i've ever owned fart and pop, i too never take the speakers off,they are kool,most have good speaker locks..

Matrixambience

Member (SA)
May 8, 2010
Strasburg,PA
....thats what's so great about this site. All this comparison between boomboxes, 3 piece "radios", and 90's eggs, are opinions, not facts, and we can post them here and have fun! :-D

agc

Member (SA)
Jun 1, 2010
My Sony FH-909 has the same CD player, tuner and amp modules as the FH-211W posted north of here; but a different tape deck and speakers grills. It's a single-well, drawer load system with a lamp inside the well! :thumbsup: The speaker grills on mine are your run of the mill black fabric ones.

ledmeter

Member (SA)
Jul 22, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
I've had some nice 3-piece units in my time.., such as the RXC100 in black, the big beautiful Hitachi whose model I've forgotten, and the best of the 3 was my Aiwa CA-100HG which I spent $150 on having electronically restored with new speaker cones and rubbers, as a present for my brother who loved it but then lent it to a gang of hooligans who promptly destroyed it in every way possible. I only like 3-piece boxes with permanent speaker connections (no wires) and wooden cabinets.
Having said that, I dont own any 3-piece units and don't think I ever will - if they're good I'll pick them up to sell tem but the only type of box for me is a big silver 1 piece with knobs a-plenty and all controls up front and not on top is a plus too, though I'm not that fussy ;)
I recently inspired a German friend to buy a boombox and any 3 piece I showed him was met with disinterest, as they just don't look as cool. I'm kind of hesitant to watch or allow other people who aren't in the collecting world to go online and buy a nice boombox for general use - yes it's nice for the system to be used as it was intended but I'm such a preservation type guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.