Three piece boxes. Do you love them? Do you hate them? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
I love 3 piecers too , but little annoying - WHY THEY DONT MADE EM ALL like Hitachi TRK 9140 - no wires when connected to the body - hard joints instead (and wires get in use just when needed and can be taken out from the compartments). It is really great design and really cant see why others didnt used this :sadno: Anyway im keeping my 3 piecers all the time connected, but still lot better sound from one piecers :yes: . IMHO some of the so called 3 piecers are one piecers with the option - the speakers can be taken in distance if we will. Who have 9140 or 9150 know what im talking about :-P .

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
stormsven said:
I love 3 piecers too , but little annoying - WHY THEY DONT MADE EM ALL like Hitachi TRK 9140 - no wires when connected to the body - hard joints instead (and wires get in use just when needed and can be taken out from the compartments). It is really great design and really cant see why others didnt used this :sadno:
Contec MCP-300 does that as well

petergriffin

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Love 3 pieces, and component systems. When I started collecting, they were way cheaper then 1 piecers. OSS, if you want a loooong 3 piecer, get a sharp HK 9000. 3 feet long. And loud as hell :-P

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
This is very interesting.....I really expected the three piece units to get dogged on :huh: and everyone to scream "ONE PIECERS!"

For me, It's the one piece silver box that has always done it. I think it has to do with the fact that at age 12-13 the world started coming into focus. At that age, I made other choices too....I became a Chevy man over Ford, Coke over Pepsi. Of course I was already BOOBIES all the way :w00t: (for the record, still am :-D )

But at that age, seeing the first stereo silver one piecer's just locked something in my mind. When I pa-ruse the "Collections" section and see pictures of what you all have....it's those Silver one piece unit's that still get me every time :yes:

Scotty_M

Member (SA)
Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane, AU
I'm a fan of the 3 piece...and because these started to come on the market in the mid eighties, a good 5+ years after the one piece "classic" style boxes, they usually have a wider array of functions to play around with on them. I find this very appealing, and besides, having a few 3 piecers in one's collection definitely complements the classic style boxes.

I myself have a GF-800, WF-939, GF-700, GF-990G and a Casio KX-101. I love them all! :-D

Scott

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
To put it bluntly i'm not a fan of the 3 piece as far
as outside is concerned.
For outdoor activity and boboxin' I love a 1 piece
over a 3 piece every time as I don't like the
occasional rattle and the wires sticking out like on
some.
Don't get me wrong-I'll carry any Boombox
anywhere! :yes: I carried a PC-55JW for like
5 years outside!
Just my 2 cents worth.
But for nostalgic and for ease of mobility the
1 piece gets my vote!!!! :thumbsup:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
This is very interesting.....I really expected the three piece units to get dogged on :huh: and everyone to scream "ONE PIECERS!"

For me, It's the one piece silver box that has always done it. I think it has to do with the fact that at age 12-13 the world started coming into focus. At that age, I made other choices too....I became a Chevy man over Ford, Coke over Pepsi. Of course I was already BOOBIES all the way :w00t: (for the record, still am :-D )

But at that age, seeing the first stereo silver one piecer's just locked something in my mind. When I pa-ruse the "Collections" section and see pictures of what you all have....it's those Silver one piece unit's that still get me every time :yes:
Believe me Chris I wasn't a huge fan of the 3 pc units, that is until I got the big heavy ones :-O They look and sound so amazing, if you could only hear my Telefunken, I was so amazed when Scott brought it over that I barely paid attention to his M90 :drool:

wowminister

Member (SA)
May 8, 2011
UK - Banbury
I love my 3 piece boxes...

Panasonic RX990....the ultimate in sound quality. Ok its a bit late 80s, but it sounds fantastic, against all my other one piece systems, including my JVC's and my 777.

The only one piece that comes close are modern ones, the Altec Lansing and the TDK 3 Speaker.

shane higgins

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
wowminister said:
I love my 3 piece boxes...

Panasonic RX990....the ultimate in sound quality. Ok its a bit late 80s, but it sounds fantastic, against all my other one piece systems, including my JVC's and my 777.
The only one piece that comes close are modern ones, the Altec Lansing and the TDK 3 Speaker.
Tdk 3 speaker compared to an m90 or a conion c100 not a chance in hell done the tests it just don't add up
Yet to hear the altec lansing
And un fortunately the sound of an gf 777 is not all that flash but the look great
The sound of a boxed speaker will always sound better than the sound traveling around in an uncontroled boombox
This is why the sanyos top line sound great ( not loud ) just great they partition of there speakers
A lot of three pieces have wood boxs around there speakers you won't beat this with 3mm of plastic it just don't do it for the sound waves
Your good home hifi don't use plastic for speaker boxes unless it's 10mm thick

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
wowminister said:
Actually those two are considered 1pc units as the speakers don't remove from main unit ;-) But I guess you already knew that :dunce: I love the sound of my Altec Lansing and can't wait for a TDK 3 speaker :thumbsup:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
I Love three piece boxes but only a select few brands and styles.
Toshiba wx1
Telefunken hi fi boxes
Rotel boxes
JVC pc series boxes
Marantz boxes
I am not crazy about the later model black three piece boxes although some sound real nice.
Its the style of the black ones I just don't like.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I was fortunate enough to be a pre teen during the start of the boombox era in the early 80's and enjoyed every minute of it. Due to that my preference and most of my boombox memories involve 1 piece boxes. The first boombox I lusted over was the M70 and it remains my favorite to this day.

The second boombox I lousted over was the Fisher 492. We had a shopping mall close to my house and there was a Macy's department store that had several large Fisher boomboxes on display, but when I saw that 492 I was blown away by the size and sound of it.

I only carry my 1-piece boomboxes outside, 3-piece boomers are horrible to carry, but for indoor use there sound and the ability to separate into pieces make them the perfect portable shelf system. So I guess you could say I love them for indoor use, and I definitely love their power and sound.

My favorite 3-piece is my Sony FH 207...monster power and the best sounding portable I have EVER heard. I have 8 3-piece boomboxes and plan on adding at least 1 more, the Fisher 492. Although they are big, heavy, and awkward to carry I appreciate their place in boombox history. Don't knock 'em till you try 'em... :-D

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
As much as i often say i don't like 3 piece boxes, well it's not true :lol: . I "prefer" 1 piece boxes, but as i take a look at my collection i actually see i have quite a few 3 piece box units...what can i say i just LOVE all boxes :thumbsup:

teamstress

Member (SA)
Aug 24, 2009
chicopee, ma, usa
stormsven said:
I love 3 piecers too , but little annoying - WHY THEY DONT MADE EM ALL like Hitachi TRK 9140 - no wires when connected to the body - hard joints instead (and wires get in use just when needed and can be taken out from the compartments). It is really great design and really cant see why others didnt used this :sadno: Anyway im keeping my 3 piecers all the time connected, but still lot better sound from one piecers :yes: . IMHO some of the so called 3 piecers are one piecers with the option - the speakers can be taken in distance if we will. Who have 9140 or 9150 know what im talking about :-P .

The Modulette 500 works that way also.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
gsbadbmr said:
As much as i often say i don't like 3 piece boxes, well it's not true :lol: . I "prefer" 1 piece boxes, but as i take a look at my collection i actually see i have quite a few 3 piece box units...what can i say i just LOVE all boxes :thumbsup:
:lol: Well said, I'm right with you on that one.
I seem to remember stating I didn't like 3 piece boxes about 15 or 20 3 piece boomers ago. :lol:

sony_apm_fan

Member (SA)
Apr 8, 2010
Australia
Great thread! :-)

Hard question to answer, I mean, I grew up loving anything Sony, three pieces like CFS-9900 and FH-7's etc.

Pretty hard not to like these boxes, but they are high end gear....and here is my dilemma

For me the low end 3 band EQ three piecer is never going to be desirable, but there are low end one piece boxes that are just as cringe worthy.

So for me, the question is not how many pieces it has, but does it have enough to keep me interested and does it SOUND good.

A decent Panasonic RX series often sounds astounding...

So FH-7 or M-70.....? I'll just take both thanks!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.