I get it...

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Master Z said:
I just have one question.......
Who or what is Taira???? :dunce:
The name Taira comes from the names of the two important members who orginally owned her before me.
Henry Tai and Ira.

Taira!

As I posted on the previous page, Paul!

Rock On.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
D'oh! :bang: :nugget: :blush:
I actually went through this and the photoshoot thread to see if there was an explanation. Guess I missed it, my bad.

Arkay

Member (SA)
Jan 18, 2011
Wow! Dropped in to see how that box turned out with the stripes and everything finished... it's even better than I thought it would be, from the original rendering. Nice work overcoming all the obstacles along the way; putting the stripes on backing, cutting and gluing each one on separately must have been tedious, and, as has already been said, a real labor of love. Just curious - do you carry this box while wearing those shoes (in the avatar)? And with clothes in similar colors? That sure must turn some heads! :yes:

Oh, and thanks to those who posted them, for the nice "welcome back" comments. I'm flattered that anyone remembers me, after so long! Haven't seen any kids pissing on the streets lately. :sadno: What I did see on the street today (I don't want to thread-crap, but I can't hold this in just for myself!) was another Sharp GF-9000. Needless to say, it's mine now. :-D Not a lot to report in-between about boomboxes, except that a couple months ago I scored a "dream score" of an M90 found "in the wild". What's wilder yet, is that someone had glued logo badges (I'm guessing they were taken off of speakers) from TEAC (TWO of those!), Marantz, and Sansui on it, in addition to the original JVC badge. I'm not sure what kind of glue they used (maybe superglue?), but I haven't figured out how to safely remove them, and in a way they add "character", so I'll probably just leave them on . Guess I probably have the only TEAC-Marantz-Sansui-JVC boombox in the world, unless someone else was strange enough to do the same thing to theirs! The only other find I had of note was a big Fisher 982, almost more of a music system thing than a boombox.. Not really any room left for more boomboxes here, so only something REALLY rare or special gets my attention any more... plus the market here is much quieter than it was a few years back, with a lot less good stuff available. Still some 777s showing up pretty regularly, but not as much else good, compared to before.

Glue, I like the name you picked, Taira... I know Henry here in Hong Kong (of course!), and must remember to congratulate him on having such a special box named (partly) after him! :thumbsup:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Thanks so much, Arkay! Great to hear you're well and still actively collecting.

I do carry the Taira to and from work and wherever else I'm walking and I do wear pretty colourful gear, I'm also heavily tattooed, 6ft tall, have dreadlocks down to my knees and am about 250lbs (though I'm losing weight and getting down to a more 'regular size'). So it's not like people don't see me coming in general, with or without the Taira cranking!

Keep on rockin Arkay, hope to hear more from you!

Rock On.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
oh glue --
you NEED to attend our next sunshine meet -- :w00t:
we do have some swell fellas who regularly show up -
but --
they are not at all colorful :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Gluecifer said:
So it's not like people don't see me coming in general, with or without the Taira cranking!.
Hey Glue, You and I need to hit the streets with blasters in hand, dreads and beard flying in the wind....We'd be causing car crashes! :lol: :yes:

Arkay

Member (SA)
Jan 18, 2011
Gluecifer said:
Thanks so much, Arkay! Great to hear you're well and still actively collecting.

I do carry the Taira to and from work and wherever else I'm walking and I do wear pretty colourful gear, I'm also heavily tattooed, 6ft tall, have dreadlocks down to my knees and am about 250lbs (though I'm losing weight and getting down to a more 'regular size'). So it's not like people don't see me coming in general, with or without the Taira cranking!

Keep on rockin Arkay, hope to hear more from you!

Rock On.

Thanks, Gluecifer! From your description (I know I've seen you in the posted pics!), yeah, people would definitely see you comin'! Add the colors and the box, and there's no way you'd be missed - I think even guys at Harley conventions would show you respect, on appearances alone!

On my end, I got a double-shock the other day... when a SECOND GF-9000 shows up, just days after I brought home that one I mentioned above. What's even weirder is that this one has the exact same odd sticker on it as one of the first ones I found, a few years back, in the same place... but I don't think the sticker is original?! It has my mind twisting in pretzel-knots... so I posted about it separately, just to see if anyone knows about the stickers.

Anyway, congratulations again on the great job with your Taira, and keep it crankin'!

box boy

Member (SA)
Mar 9, 2011
finland
Gluecifer said:
FINALLY!!!!

[ Image ]

Just picked them up from the printers!!
As always, patience has paid off, the measurements all look exact.

Wish me luck getting em on!!

can you make ones for sharp gf 9797

Rock On.

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
Glucifer:

You TOTALLY blow my mind in many ways... :w00t:

Wouldn't it be fun to be in a parade? Kind of like a marching band, but all boomboxes?

It would either be really cool or really cheesy. I'm thinking cool, though.
:yes:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Thanks Holly!

As I've gotten older I've seen the gap between 'cheese' and 'cool' become virtually non-existent.

For something to be cool it MUST have cheese elements as far as I'm concerned!

Rock On.

hollyrockets

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2010
Olympia, WA
Gluecifer said:
Thanks Holly!

As I've gotten older I've seen the gap between 'cheese' and 'cool' become virtually non-existent.

For something to be cool it MUST have cheese elements as far as I'm concerned!

Rock On.
Yeah, I have to say cheese is my middle name in many ways, but cheese is GREAT!
:lol: :superduper: :lol:

Nick

Member (SA)
Jun 10, 2011
Да, я у нас такого еще не видел!
Молодцы ребята. Фэнтэзи!

Status
Not open for further replies.