The $99 2nd Gen TRC-931

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
The trick installing chrome/trims back on the radio upside down if they can be, I have been doing the same forever! Like you said, most of the time they are rough on top, mint on the bottom.
Yep, secret of the pros!

oldskool69 said:
Damn I feel so ashamed. After I lost one (thanks USPS), I now have two I need to reassemble. I am so lazy. :lol:
Put them all in a box and mail them to your self, maybe they will come back assembled! :lol: :lol: :lol: Freaking USPS! :bang:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Time to reassemble!

I got the new deck belts, nothing could be simpler to rebelt. 5 minutes and both were finished

20161007_135722.jpg20161007_140025.jpg

The belts I used, perfect fit. I got them from Studio Sound Electronics, www.studiosoundelectronics.com
It was $12.04 shipped. A little pricey for 3 belts, but showed up in 3 days. The same day I bought those, I bought a package of 100 and two packages of other sizes, 50 pieces each, 200 belts total for $9.88 delivered from China. They aren't hear yet. I will be doing a comparo test between these belts, fit, diameter size, ect.
20161007_135237.jpg

The decks dropped back in, I had left all the screws for the decks in the case all this time. So no lost screws, no missing screws not holding stuff in place. With each step of this build, I pick it up and give it a shake down. When I put in the speakers and grills, I picked it up and shook it and twisted it. If there is a rattle, handle in NOW! All the decks in, full shake down....SILENCE!

20161007_152805.jpg

First picture with the bottom deck door closed! :-D
(drives me crazy through the build, you wanna see the box "as it will be", but the deck door is hanging open, my ocd)

20161007_152828.jpg

Time to put in all the pc boards and "guts" starting with the power button. I noticed when clamped in place, it still could move around. That's a rattle for sure. So I hot glue gunned a small piece of synthetic suede in the cradles where it makes contact with the box.

20161007_153400.jpg

The LED runway, power switch and switch, eq and knob board in (crappy pic)
20161007_154153.jpg

I opened my file of pictures I took while taking the radio apart and started at the end and went back words. It took me over an hour to find the picture, find the wire, find the solder point and reattach. Tedious but worked like a dream on this complicated project.

20161007_171014.jpg

Side Note: Lasonic used the same color wires, side by side in a few different locations. Here you see two orange wires. When I unsoldered these wires I marked one wire and the board with a sharpie, this way you know where they go. There is a pair of reds and a pair of whites I had to do this with.
20161007_171610.jpg

Tuner board back in which accounted for the very last screw! Wow, no leftover parts! Another shake down test and it's like a ROCK!
Not shown, I zip tied all the loose wires into bundles and secured wires to posts. I looked for places where wires might come in contact with other parts of the radio. Eliminating this "Cleans" the final sound you will hear. No buzzing that is behind the music muddying it up. If you get a lot of that, the box sounds like crap.
20161007_172608.jpg

Only thing left was to plug it in and power it up....I added power, no smoke, pushed the power button, no smoke. LED's moving, tuner lights on, I twisted the volume and adjusted the tuner wheel and PRESTO! Music!

I moved slowly through the features. checked up and down the dial, CHECK. I switched to cassette and checked the lower deck first, fast forward, CHECK, rewind, CHECK, play....it's turning! In goes the head cleaner with isopropyl alcohol. AUTO STOP WORKS! I ran the tape cleaner back and forth many times. Then in with a cassette. POW! Playback, good speed, good volume, good tone!

Time to put the head cleaner in the top deck. CLICK!!!! SNAP!!!! and we have the tape head cleaner cleaning! Auto reverse, CHECK, fast forward CHECK, rewind, CHECK! Multiple laps of the head cleaner and in goes the cassette and POW! Music! FWD, REW, Eject, CHECK!

Dual Cassettes....CHECK!

Line in....Oh yeah, we got that too!

AM, SW 1&2: FAIL! :thumbsdown: Oh Well :-D

20161007_191611.jpg

So, whats next? I polished the last knob tonight ( :-P ). BUT, I think I'm going to pull the main board semi out, at least so I can roll it over and pull the function switch again. It works, but it's not properly lubed. I have to wiggle the switch when it's on tape or line in. I want to use some fader grease on it, pull it all apart, look at the contacts and dial it in. It is so close to being totally dialed in that I am just going to eat the time and do the crime. Hemiguy has the sticker that goes around the top deck in the mail so aesthetically, it will be finished. Yet another group effort!

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Labor of love ❤ Thanks for sharing this with us.i can really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this project. It is looking beautiful

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Nice work Chris. You might find the AM comes back after a tuner selection switch clean/lube and maybe some use.
Interesting, not that I ever use AM or SW, but in an emergency, who knows!
(in an emergency I am grabbing a radio that takes less batteries! :lol: )

hemiguy2006 said:
Labor of love ❤ Thanks for sharing this with us.i can really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this project. It is looking beautiful
Thanks Frank. In the last few years I have rebuilt so many radio's for others that I have thought myself so many new tricks. On this radio I am pushing those tricks to the limit. This thing is going to be a real Street Performer.

baddboybill said:
Great job once again bro
Thanks Bill, with all the restorations you have done, it means allot

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hisrudeness said:
Top work Chris. Excellent post.
SLO said:
The black looks super glossy, what a save! Job well done homie
Thanks guys, I have been enjoying this build.
I am debating on whether to order some fader grease, which I need anyway and wait till I have it to remove the function switch, OR spray in some Deoxit Fader 5 (that I just picked up more of yesterday) and let it ride. Everything is working, but the tape/radio/line in switch is a "little bit" finicky. I guess I will ponder that today. Lastly, Hemiguy has mailed me the top deck surround sticker, once that is here, it's on like...
Donkey_Kong_Gameplay.png

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
:w00t: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: What a top job you did Chris! You have some amazing skills. :-D Read this post just now and i am really inspired to fix the ones i have.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
dits said:
:w00t: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: What a top job you did Chris! You have some amazing skills. :-D Read this post just now and i am really inspired to fix the ones i have.
Thanks dits, there is a link with full pictures of the complete tear down in order here if it helps.

Just messing around with this thing on the bench and I would have to say, it's the best sounding of all the 8" driver Lasonic's by far! I love it!

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
That is dedication for such a cheapy stereo :w00t: BUT very interesting to see so many pictures & a reminder of how I used to go to town on restoring :yes: I am far too unwell now to go to these extremes but to see someone else still has the love for a stereo to care for it to this extent is just superb & what a result for this once sad looking & unloved machine :thumbsup:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Nickeccles said:
That is dedication for such a cheapy stereo :w00t: BUT very interesting to see so many pictures & a reminder of how I used to go to town on restoring :yes: I am far too unwell now to go to these extremes but to see someone else still has the love for a stereo to care for it to this extent is just superb & what a result for this once sad looking & unloved machine :thumbsup:
Thank you Nickeccles, This is what we do, the finished thread is here
1screenshot.png

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wow, so much detail and innovation here. Great job!
Those dual heat sinks are impressive for a 1-piece. Did you ever take a glance at the part numbers on those amp chips? I like to add that info to WikiBoombox whenever I can. I google the code number on the chips and get the official power output for them.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Wow, so much detail and innovation here. Great job!
Those dual heat sinks are impressive for a 1-piece. Did you ever take a glance at the part numbers on those amp chips? I like to add that info to WikiBoombox whenever I can. I google the code number on the chips and get the official power output for them.
I didn't but the next time I am in there I will get a picture

Radio-Active

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
NorCal Redwood Coast
Wow again! Detailed write-ups like this are so great. Makes me feel lazy..haha
Everyone mocks the build of these,so I never tried a Lasonic restore. Now it seems easier.
Good job.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Radio-Active said:
Wow again! Detailed write-ups like this are so great. Makes me feel lazy..haha
Everyone mocks the build of these,so I never tried a Lasonic restore. Now it seems easier.
Good job.
Thanks R-A, I'm not a fan of having to unsolder wires to take things apart, but Lasonic isn't the only company to do that. It sucks to have to do it on any radio. The JVC RC-838 has those same issues. But if you're going to do it. Take pictures of every wire and every step as you go and simply look at your pictures in reverse. I did that with every wire and every screw on this build and missed NOTHING! It feels, and sounds as if it came out of the box yesterday. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.