The 5 Rarest Boomboxes In The World!

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Wow, nice thread!
One thing that I was always wondering about since I started collecting is how rare any model can be. I mean there must have been so many of each model...even if it was only built for a short time.
The rareness we experience is mostly based on where we live I think. Many models were only sold in certain parts of the world, for example the BomBeat 40 in South America or all those domestic Japanese ones.
The next question is how many survived until today. After seeing the quality of a DiscoLite I was very surprised how relatively common it still is to find them in good to very good condition.
One thing I would add as well is the rareness of certain models in good condition. I remember having a very beaten up Sanyo 920 and it was a bitter sweet experience. So it is definitely harder to find something in accpetable condition making a near mint box more rare too.
Of course I have to mention stuff like the VZ-V20R or the MR-X20S, two models I am still looking for too.
For now, I'll leave my personal list here:

5. BomBeat 40
bb40.jpg
It's probably not as rare as it used to be since a few popped up last year but it is still quite hard to find and probably impossible without a bit of luck.

4. Victor RC-M70GX
M70GX.jpg
Out of all the M70 variation I think this is the rarest and most special one. I wish JVC would give out more information about it...I would assume that it was some kind of anniversary edition of the successful M70 series. I have spotted two or three in Japan and got mine from Russia.

3. JVC RC-550LM
550lm.jpg
Even though I ended up with four of those in total for some reason (still have two right now) they are one rare box and I have seen only two until last year. I traded an M90 for my first one and don't regret it at all. Those silver blocks are so special and there are probably less than 15 around in the collecting scene.

2. Conion C-100F Gold Edition
c100.jpg
Now that one is rare, hands down. I didn't pay as much for any other box as I paid for this one but it was worth every penny. The golden finish looks amazing and it is fully working and 100% complete. I really do not know how many of them are out there but I guess there is only a few left in complete condition.

1. ITT RC-8800
itt.jpg
Funny enough, I believe this is actually the rarest box in my entire collection. this ITT labelled BigBen is one of two I have seen since I started collecting and Google does not show any info about it. Fun Fact: The tuning scale still has M-X960K printed on it...I guess it was an issue for the German market and ITT ordered a couple of them in this configuration.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
And of course, no discussion of rarity could be complete without mentioning the Sony CFS-F70.....It's small but supposed to be very high quality, with metal speaker reinforcements and very big magnets....Very expensive......I have seen only 3 or 4 collectors speak up and show theirs....

cfs-f70.jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Mystic Traveller said:
Going back to Top Rare 20 - one of my favourite one-piecers is
Diatone JR-711.

Amazing look and sound, excellent top machine from Mitsubishi.

Diatone JR-711.png
Looks like it's in great condition! Superduper has one with the original box!

WP_20131021_15_47_52_Pro.jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I should have never sold this one! :bang:
Crappy build quality, but great looks!
I have only seen one or two others....

general.jpg

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
gsbadbmr said:
I think the Gold Conion C-100 is pretty rare...but not THAT rare because i have 5 of them :lol:
Yeah, I've seen at least 5 of them on eBay in the past 2 years, not too rare..

Reli said:
I'd love to have one of these Hitachi's :drool:

hitachi07_3.jpg
This is what I think of when I hear the word RARE..there is evidence of such a boombox being made, but nobody on the forums owns one!

Reli said:
I should have never sold this one! :bang:
Crappy build quality, but great looks!
I have only seen one or two others....

general.jpg
There were a few on eBay last year, the black version of the box from "Friday" movie..

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
JustCruisin said:
There were a few on eBay last year, the black version of the box from "Friday" movie..
I've seen several silver ones, but only 1-2 black ones...

Michiel

Member (SA)
Dec 29, 2012
Netherlands
Reli said:
I'd love to have one of these Hitachi's :drool:

hitachi07_3.jpg
This is basically a micro set, build into a cabinet. I see the set regularly for sale here. There is also a series with digital tuner. Never bothered to get it, because it doesn't take batteries. It looks nice as a small home audio set tho. The cabinet is what makes it rare I guess.

Edit:

an other collector from holland has found something similar some time ago.

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/18276-what-hitachi-is-this/

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
WOW what a thread!

I used to have 2 of the Toshiba SM-9990. Not to many of those in collectors hands.

I think this thread should be called "Radio's you will never own" :-/ :'-( :sad: :thumbsdown: :annoyed:

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB
Reli said:
And of course, no discussion of rarity could be complete without mentioning the Sony CFS-F70.....It's small but supposed to be very high quality, with metal speaker reinforcements and very big magnets....Very expensive......I have seen only 3 or 4 collectors speak up and show theirs....
Still occasionally pops up on Yahoo JP, last fall I was in the mood to grab one but it eventually went for 700$. :) No, thanks. Again, FM up to 90MHz only doesn't suit me well.

Back in 1981 CFS-F70 was extremely expensive, outrageously, shall I say, for such a small machine.
Cost more than M90, I once calculated how much would new one have been priced nowdays considering the inflation - circa 1500$. :yes: