Tape head problem with Panasonic RX-5050

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is a wornout head. Replace it. No need for anymore cleaning. The head surface should be very smooth with a curve and no depressions. The surface shows excessive wear pattern.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
It looks like most cassette heads should fit.
Post a pic of it from the front showing the screws holding it on either side.
One of our members here can be of help.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
If you're not able to do the work right away (other projects, life, etc.) then carefully store the new parts WITH the boombox until you can get the chance to give your complete attention to the project. You don't want to misplace parts someone took the time to send you. ;-)

It happens. It's embarrassing. No shite. :blush:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
The second one is monaural and neither is of the same quality as the original, so you wouldn't get much use out of the stereo one if you wanted to use metal tapes, but for chrome and ferrichrome types, as well as ferric, it would last a while but wouldn't sound as good.
What I've done when I fitted a fresh head to my Sharp GF9090 was pull a head from a little used but incomplete Akai top loading cassette deck out of an old separates system, that's working nicely and is of far greater quality than the original so sound is just fine. The head isn't the bottleneck now and in the 9090's case it doesn't need to be hard enough for metal tape though it works brilliantly with Chrome and ferrichrome ones.
Look for a good, used one of the correct spec and check that it's not scored badly and/or clogged with flakes of rust from a worn tape before fitting since once they're in situ, getting the head under the microscope to check is nigh on impossible! :-)

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
DKVII said:
Ehh, I've already adjusted it before using a small metal screwdriver. :-/

Here's a good question, then. How does one know when the azimuth has been adjusted correctly? I always thought when it sounded clearest, but apparently that isn't the case here.
Most of us collectors here are not electronic technicians and don't have the sophisticated equipment to adjust the azimuth. But here is a method that I use with much success.

First I play a cassette tape with a song that has a lot of high frequencies ( cymbals, high hats,etc. ). You can also purchase a 10 khz azimuth adjustment cassette tape. I bought one from ebay.
While playing the cassette tape, switch from Stereo to Mono.If you do not have a stereo/mono switch you can skip this part or you can run a set of RCA patch cords from your Line Out to the Line In of another boombox that has a Stereo/Mono switch. You should get no or little change in the high frequency sound when you are switching from Stereo to Mono. If you do hear a change, then azimuth needs to be adjusted.
To adjust the azimuth while tape is playing, first turn bass all the way down to zero and keep treble in the middle/flat position. Turn the azimuth adjustment screw very slowly clockwise first and hear if the highs increase, if they did increase, switch from stereo to mono and hear if the highs stay the same . if so, it's done. If going clockwise did nothing, then try going counter clockwise. I found that all you need is a quarter /180 degrees turn either way unless the tape head was hit and pushed out of alignment. I hope this helps and gets you started. Good Luck. :-)

Note: Use a plastic screwdriver to adjust tape head azimuth. If you only have a metal screwdriver, demagnetize it first and then after you are done adjusting azimuth, demagnetize tape head.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Beosystem10 said:
The second one is monaural and neither is of the same quality as the original, so you wouldn't get much use out of the stereo one if you wanted to use metal tapes, but for chrome and ferrichrome types, as well as ferric, it would last a while but wouldn't sound as good.
What I've done when I fitted a fresh head to my Sharp GF9090 was pull a head from a little used but incomplete Akai top loading cassette deck out of an old separates system, that's working nicely and is of far greater quality than the original so sound is just fine. The head isn't the bottleneck now and in the 9090's case it doesn't need to be hard enough for metal tape though it works brilliantly with Chrome and ferrichrome ones.
Look for a good, used one of the correct spec and check that it's not scored badly and/or clogged with flakes of rust from a worn tape before fitting since once they're in situ, getting the head under the microscope to check is nigh on impossible! :-)
Very good suggestion from John!
Looking under a microscope or a magnifying glass will show the wear with pitting on damaged head surface. You will see concave depressions and wear pattern.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Kenpat said:
If you're not able to do the work right away (other projects, life, etc.) then carefully store the new parts WITH the boombox until you can get the chance to give your complete attention to the project. You don't want to misplace parts someone took the time to send you. ;-)

It happens. It's embarrassing. No shite. :blush:
Always keep an electronic record of what you have done with your boombox adding pics. This will be very helpful!

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Thanks to user skippy1969, I now have a tape head from a Panasonic RX-5050 on the way! :thumbsup:

P.S. thanks Alberto for the tip! Definitely trying that today.

Also, remember when I said I had a Panasonic RX-4955 that didn't work correctly? Well, this morning, I sprayed out the long record switch on the board and now that small box is fixed too! All those months sitting in my closet and that was the problem...

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Matrixambience said:
The RX-5050 is one bad ass small/mid size boombox that wipes radios much larger with its big sound reproduction!
You got that right! I love the RX-5050. I love the somewhat odd design of it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.