Status
Not open for further replies.

ViennaSound

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Vienna / Austria
Wow, so many lovely displays! :w00t:
Real great.

I choiced the rail system, because of maybe change of boxes (different size).

Will see how i bouilt the 2nd display... :hmmm: :blush:

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Assuming you have 1/2" drywall (possibly you might have 5/8" depending on if it is a shared wall with another unit and fire codes in your area) then the "pull out force" is 50 lbs and the sheer force is 150 lbs. You will have a combination of forces pulling at the anchor. I would say you are good to go with that kind of shelf system. Just don't put alot of weight right on the edge of the shelf.

Now you might want to be sure the screws are long enough to go through the wall bracket and still penetrate the anchor all the way through, sticking out of the back of it. If they are too short they can pull out leaving the anchor in place. You should measure the total length of the wall anchor (including the "drill" part of it and add the depth of the wall track. Your screw should be at least that long. If you need longer screws make sure to get exact size width and type of thread. Just buy them longer.

And personally I don't like to have any gap between the back of the item being fastened and the anchor in the wall. I don't know if the back of your wall track is hollow or not, but if it is you should probably fill in the gap with small washers so that there is no hollow area where the screw is. If there is a hollow area it can cause the whole system to "slide" down the wall, putting stress on the upper part of the drywall where the anchor is. And since there is nothing to stop it from pulling through the drywall. Think of sticking a screwdriver through a hole in the wall and pushing down. It will pop through rather easily. Now if your track has a solid back then you are good to go in this area. ( I should add that if there is a gap between the anchor in the wall and the item you are attaching the amount of force you use to "tighten" it down is actually extra load on the fastener itself and can cut down the holding power of the fastener to almost nothing. Basically as you tighten it down... you are creating forces that are trying to pull out the anchor. Not so if you are tight up against the fastener with your item you are securing)

Now this is the best drywall anchor in the market today. And unlike toggle bolts this only requires a 1/2" hole be drilled. And then you slide it into the hole and pull the tab towards the wall locking the metal back against the drywall. You just snap off the excess depending on the thickness of your wall. Then (depending on the size you buy) you use a 3/16" or a 1/4" bolt. Just one of these holds 265 lbs in 1/2" drywall. They cost about $1 each unless you buy them in bulk like I do. There is no better option.... but sometimes it is overkill. But it also cheap insurance. And a 1/2" hole is easy to fill should you need to remove them at some point. Then you just push them into the wall. Cause they ain't coming out the other way... :thumbsup:

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Thanks for the info spud. I'm sure this will help clear up any questions others may have if they're thinking of putting up shelves. Much appreciated!
:cool:
Paul Z.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
Now this is the best drywall anchor in the market today. And unlike toggle bolts this only requires a 1/2" hole be drilled. And then you slide it into the hole and pull the tab towards the wall locking the metal back against the drywall. You just snap off the excess depending on the thickness of your wall. Then (depending on the size you buy) you use a 3/16" or a 1/4" bolt. Just one of these holds 265 lbs in 1/2" drywall. They cost about $1 each unless you buy them in bulk like I do. There is no better option.... but sometimes it is overkill. But it also cheap insurance. And a 1/2" hole is easy to fill should you need to remove them at some point. Then you just push them into the wall. Cause they ain't coming out the other way... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

so the metal part stays on the outside of the wall??

who makes those??

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Ok, I need more display shelves. I have boxes lying around on the floor and I dont like it. :-/
I'm looking for either 2 small units that can hold 3 each or...........I'm open to suggestions. :yes:

Ira your cedar shelves are looking good to me, cause the seem low profile.
I'll take a pic of the area I need them in.
This is where I want to put my bigger units c100, 777, M90. Right now I have them on my shelf unit but I'd feel better if they were closer to the ground. :-P
I'd like something 3' high by 2.5' in length. so I could put 3 units in there. but we'll see
As usual your comments and suggestions are welcome!
Peace,
Paul Z.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey paul --
cedar is a great way to go --
its looks and smells nice :-O
NEVER needs or wants varnish or paint or even wax :thumbsup:
just leave it alone ...forever :cool: :cool: :surf:

get the 8" boards with are actually 7 1/4" wide = perfect for most all boxes-

and so that your shelves can be height adjusted to every 1" -------
get the pegboard --and a stick of 1/4" dowel stock --
glue the pegboard to the cedar uprights-

lowes and home depot have all this stuff -

here is a picture -
which i hope you can see the pegboards :-)

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
also-- make more // and taller shelves than you 'think' you need right now --

ie --many years and a HUNDRED boxes ago --
i was thrilled with my meager collection --
and figured i was ......all done !!! :-D :dunce: :-) :lol: :-O :-O

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Thanks for the close-up picks Ira. I have some material that I think will work perfect.

Anybody else wanna share their shelves and storage methods?

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Wow! Talk about a boombox warehouse, that's awesome! Very industrial. Is that your garage, basement??? Sweet collection NZ.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Here's two of my four shelving areas, been posted before, so nothing new.

I'll be redoing my collection pix when my next personal grail turns up next week!

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
One??
Geezum crow, Ira! That's an impossible task!

My favourite 3 to listen to, this week, are the Toshiba S90, JVC M90 and Lasonic TRC-975*.

*This list is subject to change without notice.

Rock On.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
thanks for being the big sport. rick :-D ;-)
i could NEVER answer that with just ONE box

---------------------
hey paul --sorry to get all off-topic...
it was hemiguys fault
:lol: :lol: :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.