Shelving ideas needed. **UPDATE with Pics!!!**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
So I finally decided to drill holes in the walls and use an adjustable shelf system. The only cost I incured was the cost of the boards, I had the rails and supports available to me, which is awesome cause that alone would have cost a small fortune.
I set it up in the corner with some room for expandability. What I eventually would like to do is expand the bottom two tiers to form a pyramid type shape but thats for a later time.
I dont have all my boxes up just 6 for now, I would like to get another ladder shelf like the one seen to hold my medium -small sized boxes. it works well, check out the GF-8989 on there.!
Also heres some pics of my computer area.
Tell me what you think.
Enjoy!

Oh, another thing that has been bothering me is the shelfs holding capacity. I'm worried that I'll be woke up in the middle of the night by a horrible crashing sound. :grim:
I used 5 rails, 3 on one side, 2 on the other with 3 anchors in each rail rated at 45lbs, I would of used a higher capacity but the holes would have been huge!. I know by the numbers I should be able to hold up to 675lbs but I just need to hear it from somebody else. Do you guys think I should be ok? :-/ I think I'm freakin' out! :-P

Paul Z.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
paul - it looks MORE than ok :yes:
love the corner idea --
nice boxes , btw :-)

and i see you found a low//dark spot to hide your kaboom !!! :lol:

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Thanks guys, but what about the whole weight capacity thing!!! I need to hear it from you guys I need reassurance! :blush:

Hey Ira, I actually use the kaboom alot it has batteries in it and ready to go. :-D

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Master Z said:
Thanks guys, but what about the whole weight capacity thing!!! I need to hear it from you guys I need reassurance! :blush:
I don't think the weight is a concern if you have the rails anchored into studs. The weight applied to the shelves in very close to the rails so there isn't much stress applied to the rails.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
MasterBlaster84 said:
Master Z said:
I don't think the weight is a concern if you have the rails anchored into studs. The weight applied to the shelves in very close to the rails so there isn't much stress applied to the rails.
:agree:

Nice set-up, Paul! Love the "Bettie Page" picture.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
Master Z said:
Hey Ira, I actually use the kaboom alot it has batteries in it and ready to go. :-D
i use mine alot also --
its just not an easy box to 'tuck away' cuz its so thick/round
and stacks poorly :-D :-D

but it always sounds just right -
in ANY location :thumbsup:

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I don't know how safe it is... show me a picture of the type and size of anchors you used. And tell me what the wall material is and I will tell you if you have a problem or not. Better do it quick.... if you used the wrong anchors you could be in trouble quickly... no matter what they say the "capacity" is. :hmmm:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
spud is right --
your security/capacity depends on the installation .
-----------------------------
in your favor --
is that the boxes are much lighter than the books and
magazines which they are meant to hold.

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Depending on how the wall anchor grips if you drill a pilot hole that is even a hair too big, or you did not drill in straight, or you moved the bit around as you were drilling your anchors could have almost no holding power at all.

If the anchors at all looked like THESE you had better take the boxes down before you reply.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
nope, I diddn't use any of the plastic anchors.
I used Red Head brand zinc anchors. Here's the site.
http://www.itw-redhead.com/ez_prod01.asp

Size wise, I dont recall, they wern't the biggest and they wern't the smallest, I split the difference because I didnt want a huge hole.
The drywall in the apartment is fairly thick, but cant tell you what size exactly.
so am I safe???

Status
Not open for further replies.