Status
Not open for further replies.

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
sean 91 said:
1st update:

iv'e cleaned the corrosion from the cassette heads last night and both decks now play and record in perfect sound quality. :breakdance:

the auxillary is still a bit touch and go. it works ok for 10 - 15 mins, then sound cuts out. But when i wiggle the function switch and turn the unit back on, it will work again. so now that i know which switch is causing the problem, i can pay it more attention. i'll see how that goes later :hmmm:

btw, would anyone know what year this dates from?? aso, am i right in thinking that the 575 were 32 watt? because this one is rated at 45 :hmmm:

cheers
2nd update.

so i found that the function switch was the route of the problem behind only 1 speaker working. That problem i sorted, but it still remained when using auxillary, and some of the time the sound would cut out all together. the fault turned out to be another switch on the rear of the unit, circled below

the switch controlls phono/line in and it was very tempermental. it would of been a pain in the neck to access from the inside, because the intire stereo is attached to the rear section of the box with many screws in awkward places. so i just pushed the straw inside, and coated it the best i could with the switch cleaner. now the auxillary works perfect, :breakdance: though i shall be going easy on it for the next few days

now, everything is working. i will next be tackling the speakers, and trying to find some the right size to replace the originals (16cm/6 1/4")

and the year is 1982 aparently. its older than myself :lol:

Sean

Kennedy

Member (SA)
Aug 6, 2010
Looking good mate, it's a classic box that. If I get the chance I will definitely be trying to pick one of them up in the near future . . .

Good job on the paint and clean up, it's a shame to lose the original white cones though as they look in good shape.

Hopefully you'll find some more that suit the box and sound better, maybe black with chrome caps will work best? - I don't like to see dodgy coloured car speakers in nice boxes like this, but I have seen a lot of quality looking speaker upgrades with speakers from much newer hifi systems etc, be great to see it all finished.

Good work.

KND

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Kennedy said:
Looking good mate, it's a classic box that. If I get the chance I will definitely be trying to pick one of them up in the near future . . .

Good job on the paint and clean up, it's a shame to lose the original white cones though as they look in good shape.

Hopefully you'll find some more that suit the box and sound better, maybe black with chrome caps will work best? - I don't like to see dodgy coloured car speakers in nice boxes like this, but I have seen a lot of quality looking speaker upgrades with speakers from much newer hifi systems etc, be great to see it all finished.

Good work.

KND
thanks. id like to keep the original speakers really (even though theyre much less power than i expected) but theyre too badly distorted to use. saying that im having a hard job finding new ones that actually fit. i cant find them anywhere

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
sean 91 said:
Kennedy said:

Good work.

KND
thanks. id like to keep the original speakers really (even though theyre much less power than i expected) but theyre too badly distorted to use. saying that im having a hard job finding new ones that actually fit. i cant find them anywhere
would anyone have suggestions of where to look?

cheers

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
2steppa said:
TIP: Keep the chrome centre caps from the old speakers to transplant onto the new ones if they haven't got them already. :-)
yes i still got the old speakers, i didnt know that the caps could be removed though, il ave a look

Saxonman: thanks for the link. on cpc would the speaker measurements be between the screw holes? these sharp speakers are proving difficult to replace. they are 6 1/4" ive found 5 1/4" and 6.5" but nothing in between

cheers

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hi Sean,

Looks like you've done a real nice job on this one. Cosmetically it looks great.
Think I'll spray the grilles on my 9494 after seeing this :-D

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
Don't reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally want to give these up, but these are Sharp speakers out of a 9191 that I was keeping as spares, but they could be spare for the rest of our lives, and you my friend need them more right now than I do. They are 3,2 ohm. Don't know how good or bad that is, but anyone whos heard a 9191 can testify that they sound decent.

So, swapsies or make me a small offer. :hmmm:

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
3.2 OHM is actually the same as what came from the 575, and i think these would look perfect. being a 30 year old speaker, they seem near to impossible to replace with modern ones, especially in they're awkward size. i think it may be possible to repair distortion, but the speaker in question is pretty bad, and it has a small tear in the card.

Beatbox: could you tell me the dimensions and the wattage of your 9191 speakers please?

cheers :cool:

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
Hey again, the speakers measure 15,8 cms from the exact middle of the drill holeto opposite hole. The back of the 9191 states 35w. Can't tell you any more than that I'm afraid.

I reckon they'd also look badass in your box. I really dig the big black spot surrounded by all that white. :-)

something like this maybe?

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
beatbox said:
Hey again, the speakers measure 15,8 cms from the exact middle of the drill holeto opposite hole. The back of the 9191 states 35w. Can't tell you any more than that I'm afraid.

I reckon they'd also look badass in your box. I really dig the big black spot surrounded by all that white. :-)

something like this maybe?

[ Image ]
:lol: great, though they'd be behind the grills. have you got a rough price in mind? also are you in the uk?

thanks

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
some pictures id taken this morning, after some cleaning. its coming along nicely :-D

:lol: i just love the sheer size of this thing, its huge

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
The speakers are on their way! Can't wait to see them in the box!

3 - 5 days for delivery, but allow for more. Hope they help!

:-)

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
beatbox said:
The speakers are on their way! Can't wait to see them in the box!

3 - 5 days for delivery, but allow for more. Hope they help!

:-)
thanks mate, i'll let you know when they arrive. speakers are the last thing to sort on this box, so hopefully i should have this finished and back together early next week :surf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
the original speaker. (with the distortion) its pretty shabby condition wise, with a tear in the card as well. the other one is like new so i'll be keeping that one for spares

22/102010: 3rd update

ive recently bought GF 9191 speakers from Beatbox for 20 euros (£18). theyve arrived and are a perfect fit in the 575. they have the card surround on the front, putting them a bit deeper into the unit, so i'll have to find some longer screws. the 575 has the plugs on the wires so i'll need to remove the remaining solder too, which i'll do tomorrow

new speakers i got from BB, with the originals. the orig. speakers are probably better looking and a bit cleaner condition, but thats ok. is it possible to give them a light coat of matt black paint without damaging the speaker? i might give that a go if i can, as i'll probably repaint the tweeter grills as well to match the main grills

perfect fit and same ohms as well. surprised to find 28/29 yr old speakers so easilly, though i have no idea of the power and how they sound yet, :hmmm: :-)

23/10/10 edit:

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
Glad you got them!!

Actually, the postage cost 9 euros, and I was more than happy to let them go for 11 euros for the pair for such a cool project.

Listen, I wouldn't spray them just yet. Ask around here about bleaching. I think Isolator might have done it once.

It involves mixing a little bleach with some water and gently going around the speaker dabbing gently with a cloth or paper towel. This will bring back some sparkle and make them nice and white again. It's worth it as it retains the original colour. Maybe Fatdog did it too with his GF9494?

Anyway good luck!!

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
beatbox said:
Glad you got them!!

Actually, the postage cost 9 euros, and I was more than happy to let them go for 11 euros for the pair for such a cool project.

Listen, I wouldn't spray them just yet. Ask around here about bleaching. I think Isolator might have done it once.

It involves mixing a little bleach with some water and gently going around the speaker dabbing gently with a cloth or paper towel. This will bring back some sparkle and make them nice and white again. It's worth it as it retains the original colour. Maybe Fatdog did it too with his GF9494?

Anyway good luck!!
cheers.

i tried the bleach technique on the old distorted speaker from the box, but i dont think its a good idea. i dont want to try it on the 9191 speakers in case i damage the card. also it didnt work very well either so i think i'll leave them be.

ive also painted the old speaker to see the outcome. it looks pretty good, especially inside the box
any feedback would be helpful :cool:

Now that the paint is dry

Anyway, the tweet grills, ive also painted to match the main ones.

Both grills back in place/ Sharp GF 9191 Speaker fitted

The box is now Semi-finished and back together. It sounds great with the new speakers inside. More pics to come of that

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
the 575 is all finished now. it sounds great with the replacement sharp speakers inside, and works perfect. heres a few snaps

i'll get the rest up when the photo uploader on this site actually decides it wants to work :annoyed:

Status
Not open for further replies.